Best time to take protein shake

Options
Hello,

I workout 2 times a day. 1 hour in morning and 1 hour in evening. After the morning workout I take breakfast of Kashi protein rich cereals with milk and some sprouts. In the evening before going to gym, I eat oats with little yogurt (to taste good).

I read its good to have protein shake before or after the workout. In my case if I take after the workout, its almost around 8:00pm and like dinner. Also wondering whether its digestible so late or not. I am planning to start on "EAS Soy Protein Chocolate Powder" as I am a vegetarian and other protein powders would be to heavy for me.

What do you think is the best time for me to take the protein powder?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    When you want to hit your protein macro and nothing else will do.
  • optimisticShark
    optimisticShark Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I would need to take it on regular basis. As I said, I am a vegetarian and don't get much protein from the daily food I eat or food choices I make.

So I guess, I might need it daily. Is it good to have protein shake daily? I am just starting so don't have a lot idea on it.
  • jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see the answers to this too as I too need to up my protein as I don't get enough and was considering a daily protein shake as one option.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I have one that I make using pb2 since I'm am sensitive to milk and soy. I drink it after my swim and again later in the day.
  • strum261
    strum261 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've read it's best to have some kind of protein within a half hour of your workout, so I usually do my protein shake after my workout. I use a whey protein powder mixed with almond milk.
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    http://mennohenselmans.com/workout-nutrition-is-a-scam/

◾Hoffman et al. (2009) found that protein consumption right before and after training yielded the exact same results as consuming that protein several hours before and several hours after training. “Results indicate that the time of protein-supplement ingestion in resistance-trained athletes during a 10-wk training program does not provide any added benefit to strength, power, or body-composition changes.”