The 30-day Shred

Options
I started Jillian Michael's 30 Day shred just two days ago. I love it, but I'm in so much pain! Has anyone else been like this or am I doing something wrong? I know I'm using muscles I don't always use, but even walking the stairs hurts. :( I'm used to stopping and taking a break from "that excersise" until my muscles don't hurt anymore, how did you push through? Is it ok to keep going? I'm not hurting myself, right?

Replies

• Eliannasmom
    Eliannasmom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    How much exercise do you normally do? Sometimes when waking up muscles we have not used in a long time it does hurt.. give them a day to rest then try again! After a few times you should be feeling no worse than you do after a regular work out!
  • jmjc333
    jmjc333 Posts: 3
    Options
    I did the 30-day shred and I was incredibly sore for days but i found that pushing through it and continueing the dvd actually helps loosen you up and after a while you wont hurt as bad :)
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I am starting it as soon as I can get a copy (not at store I was in last night - hopefully can get it tonight!) - so I'll be right behind you!

I've heard it's a rough workout - really pushes you. Sounds like your body's really being challenged! I do think that muscle soreness is a sign you are doing it right ... that being said, I'm not a big proponent of pushing your body TOO hard - to the point of real injury. I'd say keep with it but with not as much intensity for a day or two. Don't want to hurt yourself above and beyond normal soreness! :)

I'm no personal trainer but that's just my two cents. Good luck - friend me if you want a shred buddy! :flowerforyou:
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    When I first started strength training w/my personal trainer, it hurt to just sit on the toilet! Going up stairs, down stairs, walking, etc. Agony. It got better, but even now, several years later, I still get very sore! When you haven't used muscles in a while, this is to be expected. Do what you can and it will get better. I would not stop until the pain is completely gone otherwise you'll be back to square one!
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I was in horrible pain for 3 full days after. (I couldn't walk down the steps without holding on to the railing!) I stopped doing it and once the pain stopped I started it again. Then it felt great!!! I haven't had any major pain since then. I can feel it in my muscles now, but it's a good pain, not the kind I had when I first started.
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I think it might be personal preference but I pushed through it! I was the same as you when I started Level 1 - couldn't walk without wincing and just touching my legs was soooooo sore! But I carried on doing it every day and after about Day 3/4 it started getting easier.

Then Level 2 I ached a bit less to start with and got into it a lot easier! Level 3 didn't make much difference aching wise even though I think it's a harder workout. I guess my muscles must be used to the Jillian torture by now!

It's upto you really, if you feel like you need a days break then have one :) everyone is different and you'll still see results in the end :)
    -x-x-
  • Clew
    Options
    How do y'all log 30 Day Shred stuff in the exercise journal? Just curious. :smile:
  • Paula_Addem
    Paula_Addem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    How do y'all log 30 Day Shred stuff in the exercise journal? Just curious. :smile:

I was going to ask the same thing!
  • Clew
    Options
    I posted a separate thread and circuit training seems to be the way to go. Thanks everyone!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    The very first time I did it I pulled both thigh muscles and couldn’t physically move for a day, walked like a 90 year old woman for the next 2 wincing with mild screams as I did stairs or had to sit in a chair but I did workout again 4 days later b/c I couldn’t stay away from my love, Turbo Jam. I believe it was from over extending my squat. I was already very active but perhaps squatting to the floor wasn’t necessary, who am I showing off too – my basment insulation? LOL! .

I really dislike 30-day shred. You get what you pay for, old-school injury inducing stretching, jumping jacks and other simple grade-school moves plus computer generated music all for the low low price of $10 so I didn’t expect much. Is it a good workout? Hey, it gets you moving, you will burn calories so that’s good albeit for only 20 minutes but in a busy world, sometimes 20 minutes is all we have. Ps: Turbo Jam 20 minute DVD is the best one ever and I have almost all of them!

If you like it do it – that’s the most important thing about exercise right?
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    I think it's fine to work through the pain. If after a week it's not getting any better, maybe take a day off between levels. The first time I did bodypump I couldn't walk (forget stairs!), I hobbled back in 2 days and did it again and the pain got less and less....
    It's good pain! Just like having a baby ;-)
    You are doing so friggin awesome! I'm noticing a BIG difference in you!
  • Kgtweight1
    Kgtweight1 Posts: 9
    Options
    Hello

I have been reading your thread, and I noticed that Ron2232 and I are trying to lose the same amount of weight. I just started the program. I want to know how you (all of you) have been successful after the first three or four days when you really start to become hungry.
  • Paula_Addem
    Options
    I posted a separate thread and circuit training seems to be the way to go. Thanks everyone!
    Thanks!
  • Paula_Addem
    Options
    Hello

I have been reading your thread, and I noticed that Ron2232 and I are trying to lose the same amount of weight. I just started the program. I want to know how you (all of you) have been successful after the first three or four days when you really start to become hungry.

The key for me is NOT to be hungry! There's lots of things you can eat (vegetables for one), that have low calories but can fill you up. If you're hungry, you'll cheat. It's as simple as that for me, hope that helps!
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the 30 Day Shred for over a month, I absolutely love it! It does make you really hurt EVERYWHERE for a while but that does subside a bit and I wouldn't take a break until my muscles felt better to do it again. What makes it so effective even though it's only 20 mins is that fact that it's short high impact non stop exercise so doing it every day is key. I personally stopped hurting uncomfortably after about day 3 but my friend who's been doing it now still hurts a lot...but the point is, not so much that she can't do it :wink: That's Jillian's way isn't it! If 400lb people can do it and push through it on The Biggest Loser we can!

Good luck with it I hope it works for you! :flowerforyou:
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Started this last night. I've been killing it on the eliptical for a while now and have really noticed a change in my stamina and I've also been strenght training 3x a week for a few months so I wasn't expecting it to be as hard on me as it was. The jumping jacks killed my shins and the squats were freaking crucial! Planning on doing this the days my gym partner (aka, mom) can't make it to the gym and I hope one day I can make it a morning routine. Also, started kettlenettics the other day as well, and that little lady kicks my butt too!