i cant do this anymore

im so frustrated with this whole weight loss thing. i know nothing about eating right, calories, intake and outtake and whatever else slang is in the diet world. all i know is food and im not frustrated because i havent lost yet because its barely been a week. im frustrated because i seem to be doing everything all wrong. seems i cant do anything right. 1200 calories a day is what ive been doing but now i hear thats way too low for me. how am i supposed to know whats too low and whats not? i feel depressed because i see everyone else making progress and i feel like i cant or never will. maybe i dont want this the way i thought i did. maybe i need a stronger support system. i dont know but i really give up. everyday im over in sodium, protein and sugar even though im eating better than i ever have. id really like to hear what you all think before i throw in the towel. just feel like going in a hole and crying myself to sleep. so defeated:-(

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Slow down! You cant do everything all at once.

First, get your calories right. ignore all those other things, that's fine tuning that can be done later.

So. 1200 is quite low - what's your current weight and height?
  • sarahgriffin28
    sarahgriffin28 Posts: 2 Member
    Keep it up! You can do it. You say you're over now on sodium, sugar etc even though you are trying to be better, but I'm sure it's an improvement over the amounts of sodium and sugar you were taking in before you started trying and recording everything. Small changes are better than nothing at all. Don't be so hard on yourself and don't try to be completely perfect all at once. Any small change is a step in the right direction. Try focusing on just one of the limits at first, whichever is most important to you (calories, sodium, sugar). You can work the rest in later.
  • hollygparr
    hollygparr Posts: 243 Member
    Most people go over sugar because it doesn't differentiate between fruit/veg sugars and 'bad' sugars.

I feel your struggle though, I actually struggle to eat ENOUGH and it upset me alot a few evenings ago. A few people suggested ways to increase i.e. salad dressings, hummus, cheeses etc. And I feel better for it.

Calculate your TDDE and try and eat up to it less 20% - http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Alot of us wont know everything when we begin, but by using the forums and having supportive MFP networks you will learn as you go. Now go have a hot bath and relax :) xx
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Less than a week isn't enough time to notice any difference. You need to be patient!

I've only been on this site a short while, and it seems that most of the active posters are already at or near their goal weight. So yeah, I feel like the great big fatass here, but you know what? I find it incredibly motivating that all of these people have done what I'm doing but for longer and have achieved results. Can you frame it that way?
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    I had a really slow start too. My second day I had lost 3lbs. Then the third day I gained 3 lbs. There it stuck for ten days. It was as discouraging as all get out. I too was religiously logging and following my 1200 calorie a day diet. (I am not a big person and like you did not have a lot to lose so time would show those 1200 calories were about right for me.)

Anyway after that slow start I began losing a very predictable pound a week. I have been at goal now for 5 months.

So don't give up. If you are being accurate in your calorie calculations, you will start losing soon.
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Hi, I don't know all the in's and outs either, but just trying to work with it. Going over in your protein intake is probably a good thing, actually, as protein helps to repair muscle and are the building blocks of our bodies. It doesn't take much to go over in sugar, according to My Fitness Pal. A few pieces of fruit and your over. However, if you are eating fruit and not sugary cakes and such, I really wouldn't worry about it. The sugar in fruits is very good for us as it's natural, and since fruits have a lot of fiber, the fiber actually helps to keep the sugars at a steady level, vs. the sugar spikes from candy and baked goods etc. Hope this helps. You've just begun your weight loss journey, I really hope you continue and keep learning all the jargon that goes along with it. You can do it!
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Stop tracking sugar. It's ridiculous because if you eat a single piece of fruit, you're going to go over in sugar. For calories, I suggest checking this out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet Helloitsdan can answer questions on it for you, too.

The protein number they put on here is INSANELY LOW. You can manually change the numbers for those (I have mine as a 40%/30%/30% for carbs, protein and fat, respectively). Don't get too frustrated by it! You can do it!
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    One day at a time!! We can't be expected to change over night and know everything! Focus on your calorie goal and don't worry about the rest. Once you get going finding your right calorie amount the rest will fall in place!!

BABY STEPS!! If you don't take baby steps you are not setting yourself up for success! Every day you are working at losing and changing bad habits to good... THAT in itself should be celebrated!! Just think of yourself on step 1
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Slow is definitely the way to go. I started first looking at the calories and took it from there. I still can't get my protein and carb levels right but now I have lost over 26lbs so don't give up and as already said, take small steps.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Workout, then you can eat more. 1200 seems very low.
  • 02tods
    Hi, I don't know all the in's and outs either, but just trying to work with it. Going over in your protein intake is probably a good thing, actually, as protein helps to repair muscle and are the building blocks of our bodies. It doesn't take much to go over in sugar, according to My Fitness Pal. A few pieces of fruit and your over. However, if you are eating fruit and not sugary cakes and such, I really wouldn't worry about it. The sugar in fruits is very good for us as it's natural, and since fruits have a lot of fiber, the fiber actually helps to keep the sugars at a steady level, vs. the sugar spikes from candy and baked goods etc. Hope this helps. You've just begun your weight loss journey, I really hope you continue and keep learning all the jargon that goes along with it. You can do it!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Eat more, and you won't be as frustrated. 1200 calories is not a sustainable plan for some people (most people, really).
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    tips: **these are the tips that worked for me, by all means they arent the ONLY way to weight loss. you can eat whatever you want in moderation, but i am saying this is what helped me out!

1. for the first week, stay off the scale. really! focus purely on eating clean and exercising.
    2. eating clean means: vegetables, fruits, nuts, oats, oats, eggs, nothing from a package (like special k cereals, frozen tv dinners, granola bars, `lite` soups from cans, etc.) read food labels, make sure there isnt a lot of added oils and sugars
    3. DEFINITELY keep an eye on sugars and sodium. too much sugar and sodium just bloats me!
    4. EXERCISE for at least an hour a day. haf an hour, just park yourself on a cardio machine at the gym (treadmill, elliptical, arc trainer) and then just lift weights for the rest of the half hour (planet fitness has a great easy-to-use circuit thing with different machines!)
    5. i started eating about 1500 cals a day. 1200 is a little too little for most people, but if you absolutely have to, if you eat lots of veggies and water it can really help.
    6. DEFINITELY drink enough water. i drink about a gallon a day!

*7. you have to stick with it. three weeks of HARD *kitten* work and clean eating might yield no results on the scale, but you might FEEL better, have your clothes a little looser, or might have better skin because youre eating better. the SCALE should NOT be the primary method of results. PATIENCE is key!!!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: good luck!
  • 02tods
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    First off, congratulations for making the decision to be healthy! That is a big one, and many people never get there.

I'm sure there are lots of people who are going to give you lots of great ideas, but I am just going to focus on the sodium thing.

First, if you're going over sodium a little, it's probably not the end of the world. However, I would suggest you go back over your diary and take note of the foods that are high in sodium. Then consider what a better alternative would be. Processed foods are going to be higher in sodium; that's a given.

That, and drink tons of water. The more water you drink, the more sodium you can get away with.

Other than that, just hang out in the forums, research, learn. You have been here a week. You won't learn everything overnight. Find one thing you want to do with your diet and work on that. Then when you have mastered it, try something else. Maybe it will be eating more veggies--such as a salad every day for lunch. Maybe it will be having a piece of fruit or carrot sticks as a snack instead of a packaged snack. Maybe it will be something else. But just take it a step at a time. You'll get there!
  • Don't worry about weight loss yet. First, track what you're eating...and I mean everything. Look at your diet and then start deciding which things you can live without. I started with fast food, then I added soda and fruit. I then cut down on cheese and candy. Now, I'm starting to cut down (not cut out) breads and other sugars. Everyone's diet experience is different, but it took me two years to lose 20 lbs. I feel however, that I was slowly making lifestyle changes. I would now never go back to how I ate before.

Also, if you don't love dieting, start exercising first. I love activities and it lets me eat a little more of what I crave.

Another tip: Some people weigh themselves everyday, some every week. The choice is yours, but be consistent. Remember that your weight can fluctuate wildly even within a day. If you are consistent you will start to see changes.

Keep going! Si, te puedes! Yes, you can!
  • JacquiMayCrook
    JacquiMayCrook Posts: 307 Member
    Keep it up! You can do it. You say you're over now on sodium, sugar etc even though you are trying to be better, but I'm sure it's an improvement over the amounts of sodium and sugar you were taking in before you started trying and recording everything. Small changes are better than nothing at all. Don't be so hard on yourself and don't try to be completely perfect all at once. Any small change is a step in the right direction. Try focusing on just one of the limits at first, whichever is most important to you (calories, sodium, sugar). You can work the rest in later.

Exactly this ^ ^ Don't give up. If you are eating healthier than ever before you should be proud. The rest will follow. Feel free to add me xx
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    YOU STOP RIGHT THERE! Don't make another move! You CAN do it and you should! Sometimes we just need time to wallow out our cozy spot. You don't have to "know what you are doing", you just have to do what feels good in your body! Does the insanity work out feel good in your body or does denise austines dance mix feel good in your body? Maybe it's a good brisk walk instead of a three mile run! Maybe it's skipping breakfast and having a large lunch, maybe it's six small meals a day! You will find what you need for YOU you just wont find it if you stop looking!
  • gparks
    gparks Posts: 56 Member
    I have been on and off of MFP since 2008/09 and kept starting and stopping, but I can tell you that we didn't gain this weight in one week and it's going to take more than a week to get it off and a life time of commitment keep it off. We all fall down, but you will never know if you can do it, if we give up. Get back up and as many times as it take, you keep striving for success. I keep watching the scale to see if my numbers are going down and guess what, there not moving at this time. But I am going to work harder and keep eating healthier and on days that I mess up well that's going to be okay, because tomorrow is another day. Foods you like, eat in moderation and/or add on 10 - 15 minutes of additional exercising. Find a way that will work for you, BUT PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP!!!
  • Mamahana82
    Mamahana82 Posts: 64
    im so frustrated with this whole weight loss thing. i know nothing about eating right, calories, intake and outtake and whatever else slang is in the diet world. all i know is food and im not frustrated because i havent lost yet because its barely been a week. im frustrated because i seem to be doing everything all wrong. seems i cant do anything right. 1200 calories a day is what ive been doing but now i hear thats way too low for me. how am i supposed to know whats too low and whats not? i feel depressed because i see everyone else making progress and i feel like i cant or never will. maybe i dont want this the way i thought i did. maybe i need a stronger support system. i dont know but i really give up. everyday im over in sodium, protein and sugar even though im eating better than i ever have. id really like to hear what you all think before i throw in the towel. just feel like going in a hole and crying myself to sleep. so defeated:-(

I know it is easy to become overwhelmed with conflicting information and in the world of fat loss, you get a lot of varied opinions on what is the right or wrong way to go about things. Here is one thing I know when I find myself feeling like you have described: I am not eating enough. When my calories are too low I get hungry/angry aka hangry and I get emotional and my anxiety levels go through the roof. Then I up my calories--usually carbs, and I am fine. A bowl of cereal or an english muffin with jam isn't gonna break your diet and you will be surprised how much better you feel.