If every day were like today...

Options
I wonder how MFP calculates this amount as it seems wildly out for me? Today for example MFP calculates that if every day was like today (slightly under my calorie goal) then I would lose 2lbs in 5 weeks and I am aiming for 0.5 lbs a week which I seem to have achieved so far. I am ignoring this amount but wonder how MFP gets to this estimated figure?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Pretty much, it's if everyday were exactly the same and it's just a guess using a math equation. Example:

MFP TDEE estimate : 2060
    Deficit: 500
    Net Goal: 1560

So:
    500 x 7 = 3500
    3500 calories is equal to about 1lb loss. So to get the guess weight:

current weight - (how many lbs weekly deficit is equal to times x 5) = predicted loss

or

200 lbs - 5lbs (providing every week had a 3500 calorie deficit) = 195lbs in 5 weeks.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not know where the calculation comes from for MFP (It is based on a valid method, but a method I do not follow) - but when I eat at my current deficit (and it really is a TDEE deficit) MFP says I will gain weight in the next 5 weeks. WRONG.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have no idea where they get those numbers! The other day I had a busy day and spent most of the day being active. I ate back most of my calories. It said that if every day was like that than I would lose 5lbs in 5 weeks. The next day I was stuck at my desk and and had roughly the same calorie deficit as the day before just without the moving. That one said I would lose 3lbs in 5 weeks if everyday where like today!!! LOL calories in calories out I think MFP just makes it up sometimes! =]
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I use that number to motivate me after a day of going drastically over my net calorie goal! :embarassed:

Once I've been told I could be 7lb heavier in 5weeks, I tend to be pretty saintly for the rest of the week! :laugh:

Although MFP numbers are not 100% accurate...according to my net goal, I should lose 0.5lb a week, but I've been double that for the past month. :bigsmile: