suggestions on low calorie fast food or restaurants?

Options
2»

Replies

• xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest Olive Garden. :) They have some great low calorie pastas. Their salad is kinda high calorie because of their dressing but what I do is just order it on the side and add how much I want, because they usually put too much.

Their breadsticks are my weakness but I've been able to resist eating them more often than not since I've started MFP.

What I usually do is check the nutrition guide on the restaurant's website before even going. So if you have a few restaurants you really like, check their nutrition guide to see the calories and find a meal to eat beforehand.

Good luck!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Extreme Pita is great too for fast food. Nearly all their small pitas are under 400 calories, whole wheat is standard, and there are lots of fresh vegetables. I love the bourbon chipotle one.

Most chain restaurants do have information online. I eat at Joeys a lot (the ahi tuna salad is under 700 calories including the tuna and dressing) or the Keg (6oz sirloin- it's on the kids menu but they will serve it to adults on request- with a mixed green salad, is under 500 calories for the meal) . If I can't find something low-cal that I want, I just pack up half my meal immediately. It's always enough to satisfy me but I don't eat too much. In fact, I had a Thai chicken with mashed potatoes at the Keg tonight. The meal is about 1100 calories so I took half to go.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Biggest thing to remember is fast food packs A LOT of calories in what seems like a small portion. If you're like me, simply having 2 tacos at taco bell just doesn't seem like a real meal, even though the calories would say so. Same goes with just 1 sandwich at McDonalds or something with no fries or soda.... Just very hard to be that disciplined so in a lot of cases I just avoid it or reserve that bad meal for a cheat day
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I just check CalorieKing.com... I suppose the idea is to go through the menu until you find a dish in line with the your desired calorie intake. I haven't quite gotten to that point yet, lol.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I live in Los Angeles, There are lots of Latin chicken joints..the biggest chain of which is El Pollo Loco. These are GREAT places to eat...as long as you stick to grilled chicken, and dont get french fries or other bad sides, you can eat delicious fast food. I love :love: living in SoCal where there are so many great choices...basically if I find myself hungry, i look for some place that says "POLLO" and I know i am for some good *kitten* grilled chicken eatin':heart::happy: :tongue:
  • penni214
    penni214 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Fast Food = heart attack in a sack, quadruple bypass special, poison, poison period.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    So, how is CalorieKing.com different from mfp?
  • mish24canada
    mish24canada Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions.
  • mish24canada
    mish24canada Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    thank you for all your help. I apperiate the suggestions:smile:
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Pita Pit. Tim Hortons food is gross and full of preservatives (chicken tastes like rubber).

I have to agree about Tim Hortons. I can't eat the food there. It does not taste good to me. I like white spot, and it's all local food (which is a good thing in a lot of ways). I will also sometimes get a mama burger at A&W without mayo (less expensive and quick). And I like IHOP because eggs are great!

Also, thanks for posting this thread and for the replies. I found it helpful as well.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    If I can't find something low-cal that I want, I just pack up half my meal immediately. It's always enough to satisfy me but I don't eat too much. In fact, I had a Thai chicken with mashed potatoes at the Keg tonight. The meal is about 1100 calories so I took half to go.

Yeah, then you get two meals for the price of one!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Fast Food = heart attack in a sack, quadruple bypass special, poison, poison period.

No!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone Im new to my fitness pal and loving it. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a book or guide to low calorie foods when eating out at fast food places or restaurants. Everything I have found online is mostly American restaurants which isn't helpful when I live in Canada.

Many chain restaurants and fast-food places (Kelsey's, Tim Horton's, Starbucks, Wendy's, etc.) list their calorie content on their website. A fast way to find is to search "restaurant name" nutrition. Your best bet is to check before you eat or you can often find yourself in for a nasty surprise.

Specifically, Taco Bell isn't bad, if you don't mind 80% real meat.