What do you think of Richard Simmons and his plan?

Options
13»

Replies

• onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    You know, another smart guy was jack lalane. That man was so bright.

But I like Richards videos because, although campy, they are a gateway drug into health and fitness. A starting point. You won't get "ripped", but you'll get invigorated, encouraged and uplifted.

I didn't think that the comment about a bunch of obese people jumping around to oldies was very nice.

Some of us are over thirty. This is our music, it's what we danced to before you guys were out of diapers. I'm 48. I love oldies and I dont care who knows it! :smile:

Yes, I'm fat. But I'm working on it every way I can. Even with oldies dance party themed, homosexuality embracing, kinky hair style, glittery spanky pants, hands in the air exuberance.

:heart:
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Love him! Used to watch his shows as a kid. he does a lot of good. he is flamboyant, though !
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Love him :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :bigsmile: :blushing: !!!!!!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I love him. He was the first person I ever saw ever talk about nutrition and exercise. I think that if more people would have watched him and listened we wouldn't as a nation be in the crisis we are in. It's too bad for me that I was too young (even though I was a teen ager) to really understand his message. I was still all about trying to lose fast, it obviously didn't work or didn't work for long.

The only problem I have is with that card system or whatever it is. I don't think it really teaches people to take control of what they are eating. Unfortunately the only real way to do that is to count calories and learn how much of what is in each food at least the macros.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    In general, I think Richard Simmons is hilarious. I definitely get the "feel good, caring vibe you mentioned. My mom has some of his VHS's still I think. But, I've never done any of his workouts...
  • ferniejoy
    ferniejoy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    His plan is very much like the WW exchange plan of ole or the diabetic diet. Both are very healthy. He looks like a real person, not buff or unattainable. I really like Richard Simmons, but I didn't know he was still in vogue:) I remember my dad catching me working out to him in on TV in the early "80s. My dad died in"85, so the flamboyant man is still young!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    He has a flare for the theatrical
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Did he ever admit that he was never fat?

I loved his TV show. The "YRU FAT" license plate and the Sweatin to the Oldies.

I like Richard Simmons. He's funny, entertaining and motivating. You watch all that energy emanating from him and it's contagious. He's good at what he does.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Old thread.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    LOVE him! He is so sweet and seems like a genuinely caring and sensitive guy. I never followed his food plan but I used to workout to his DVDs. I should probably go get some and start up again. I just love his personality. I think he is very positive and motivating.

tumblr_lujiuoez5a1qgy5npo1_250.gif
    tumblr_lujiuoez5a1qgy5npo2_r1_250.gif

Here is the video that goes with that shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0-7EfR37Dg

That is hilarious :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IK,R?!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    Youtube clip is blocked??

"This video contains content from Warner Bros. Entertainment, who has blocked it on copyright grounds."

Found another, looks to be the same episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIscLaYnECs
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I love Richard Simmons! I sweat with him everyday. I Have sweatin 1-5 and 2 others from him. I also have his cookbooks and his biography.

Yes, he was fat when he was younger, he did diet pills, starved himself and everything else under the sun. What he does works, it has worked for many years. My mom did the plan back in the early 90s with the cards, Ive done the plan with the food mover. IMO its still relevent as dietary needs dont change. The plan works if you work the plan properly so why change it?

I was also a member of the clubhouse online for a year, it was similar to this however he would go in and post and motivate people. He also does a live chat once a week with everyone. Its fun, and motivating. Ive found that if I dont have fun IM not going to do it.

I love love love love his videos! the people in them are real people who have lost weight/losing weight on the plan, he only puts real people in his videos