real job- how old

Options
2»

Replies

• DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    First paid job was working as a stock girl at JCPenneys. ****ty pay, ****ty hours, ****ty managers. When it was Christmas season we were all told we would be working every day, and they instead cut me back to 2 days per week. When I put in my two weeks, they completely took me off the schedule, never even gave me hours, and then blacklisted me from the company because I put in my two weeks and then never came back... :huh:
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I had babysitting/fast food/cashier/waitress jobs in high school. My first real job was at 17, I became a file clerk and worked my way up in the admin world. I guess in a way you could say I still do office work so I'm still in the same field. At 47 I'm also a senior getting my accounting degree and currently work full-time as an accountant/business manager for a trucking company. I have been on my own since I was 15 years old.
  • czardastx
    czardastx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    15 years old worked for 7 years in a conveniece store.

22 years old worked for 6 years in the microfilm / microfiche field

28 years old to now (17 years) working in law enforcement
  • ThoseLittleCats
    Options
    15 as a cashier, an no
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    18 and still working in the same field
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Started working when I was 15... Worked at Subway and in retail up until college, then got a more professional job. Different field now.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I was 12 when I got the type of job that required a Social Insurance Number - serving meals in a retirement home. Before that was babysitting. I didn't have to pay tax or anything because I didn't make enough.
    I had many more jobs through the following years that weren't student jobs (I never got fired, just moved around, some overlapped). Most I don't think I had to pay tax on (student jobs here are summer positions funded through government)
    I started my career at 25. Tax sucks.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I started working in a department store when I was 18 and pretty much had a steady job ever since. I went from that to working in a bookstore to bartending to working as a grocery store cashier/bakery clerk to working in a place for wayward teen girls. Then I finished college, worked as an AA for a friend of my aunt's, then medical records in a neurologist's office, then a very short stint for a foreclosure attorney (that was hell) then journalism. I worked for two newspapers over five years and then got a job with the state when I've been for six years.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Started babysitting for money at age 9

My first real job was at age 12 as a taxi cab dispatcher.
    At 14 I was a hotel desk clerk for two hotels
    Then at 15 I was doing both those jobs plus waitressing and babysitting...and school.

After I moved out at 16 I worked as a waitress, then in a market research firm. Ended up going from a telephone surveyor to head of western operations with that one by time I was 19

Only time I haven't worked full time outside the home is when I was raising my kids.

Work is just what I do.

ETA: I still work in the marketing field, but have moved to different areas of it over the years.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I worked all thru high school (beginning at age 16) Thru my college years as a cashier at a grocery store. It was a great job and when I left (in the early 80's) I was making $8.00 and hour, which wasn't chump change in those days. Today I work as a business analyst, but have been at my profession at the same company for 20+ years.
  • eastonna
    eastonna Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Had many jobs from the time I was 12 until I graduated college at 21. My first real job was as a Junior Interior Designer (what I went to school for) in Grand Cayman. Moved back to Canada and have had many jobs in that field and have now settled as an Interior Designer with a concentration on kitchens and baths.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    My daddy told me when I turned 17..."Son, I hope you think real hard about what you want to do. Because we have no money and you are on your own when you turn 18."

I joined the military, got into an technological field, stayed in the military for 10ish years, then continued in the same field.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I have worked fulltime+ since I was 18. Back then I had two jobs, a fulltime job at Subway and worked the weekends at a local liquor store. When I turned 22, I started working in a factory and was promoted about 13 months later to my current position.
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    12(ish) paperboy and no haha.

If that doesnt count as real job, it was in the bread department in the co-op, once again, no.
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I was 14 and started working (for pay) as a veterinarian assistant. Did all kinds of things from lab work to cleaning cages. I liked it but realized I didn't want to be a vet when I got older haha. Too boring! But I also had started babysitting at 12.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Had many jobs from the time I was 12 until I graduated college at 21. My first real job was as a Junior Interior Designer (what I went to school for) in Grand Cayman. Moved back to Canada and have had many jobs in that field and have now settled as an Interior Designer with a concentration on kitchens and baths.

Hi! Kitchen design you say???? ( we just renovated the bathroom)
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I got my first job at 15 working for my church, then 16 at a smoothie place, little jobs for a few years after. My first "real" job was loss prevention. I say it is a real job because when you move up you can totally make a great career of it in managment etc. I was about to turn 21. Now I am 26 and I am in the Coast Guard and getting my Masters....been in since 23.