Fitbit activity = fewer calories burned

Options
jofjltncb6
jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
When I log playing frisbee on the fitbit activity tracker, my calories burned decrease. Shouldn't fitbit know not to decrease calories burned from its estimate if my steps were just running and not running down a frisbee?

(Yeah, I know, this is better suited for the fitbit forums, but my friends just love it when I talk about my fitbit...so here it is anyhow.)

Replies

• Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    My initial response on your wall still stands, even though you've taken the discussion live:

Well, you've transferred some of your kinetic energy to the frisbee, thereby decreasing your burn. Fitbit is very smart to have figured it out.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Playing frisbee, like bowling, is a negative calorie burn. Eat more negative calorie foods to counteract the strange phenomenon.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Playing frisbee, like bowling, is a negative calorie burn. Eat more negative calorie foods to counteract the effect.

^this sounded a bit snarky to me! And you didn't even explain what negative calorie foods are. I'll help you out though: celery, cayenne pepper, and raspberry keytones.
  • Otterluv
    Options
    Playing frisbee, like bowling, is a negative calorie burn. Eat more negative calorie foods to counteract the effect.

^this sounded a bit snarky to me! And you didn't even explain what negative calorie foods are. I'll help you out though: celery, cayenne pepper, and raspberry keytones.

don't forget cinnamon
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I HATE YOU GUYS!!! I HATE ALL OF YOU!!!

That does it...I'm taking my frisbee and going home!
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    is this satire?? Everything said here is laughably wrong...
  • Otterluv
    Options

Don't forget to put your fitbit on for the walk home! Accuracy is mighty important here, Jof.
  • BeachIron
    Options

I only got "a bit snarky"?! I seriously need to up my game!

I :heart: you, Mandy!
  • BeachIron
    Options

Don't forget to put your fitbit on for the walk home! Accuracy is mighty important here, Jof.

Best to leave the frisbee there so you don't get chunky on the way home!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options

Try logging it as "Carrying Frisbee." You'll get extra calories for the heavy lifting, balancing things out.
  • PNOD
    PNOD Posts: 35
    Options
    After a decent amount of research before buying my FitBit One I must say that fit bit is very accurate and you should not need to log activity.

For example when I do 30 minutes of cardio it knows I am active and moving and is extremely accurate with the calorie count. I do not track anything unless it is swimming or biking. Those are the only things I do without my FitBit.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    if it decreases your calories burned, don't log it. I never log an activity unless I am in the water or it is something seated, like stationary biking.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options

Best to leave the frisbee there so you don't get chunky on the way home!

Carry frisbee = bulky (heavy lifting)

Eat frisbee = chunky (plastic is surprisingly high in calories)
  • PNOD
    PNOD Posts: 35
    Options

Try logging it as "Carrying Frisbee." You'll get extra calories for the heavy lifting, balancing things out.

Where's the like button :)
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    You could also try attaching the fitbit to the frisbee with Velcro.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    is this satire?? Everything said here is laughably wrong...

Wait. You mean to tell me that when I log an activity record of playing frisbee on fitbit.com that my total calories burned for the day on fitbit.com does not decrease?

Because if you are, then I am laughing...at *your* laughable wrongness...because it does.

But yeah, all this other stuff is totally bogus.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    if it decreases your calories burned, don't log it. I never log an activity unless I am in the water or it is something seated, like stationary biking.

This is actually how I handle it. I just found it interesting how fitbit handles it when the assumed calories is less than the calculated step calories.

(And for those who don't understand what I'm saying, don't worry about it...it's nothing serious...)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    OMG people on this site are so rude! This poor OP came on here with an honest question about something important to him and all anyone does is attack him and mock him! Where's the support?! Isn't that what this whole website is all about?!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    OMG people on this site are so rude! This poor OP came on here with an honest question about something important to him and all anyone does is attack him and mock him! Where's the support?! Isn't that what this whole website is all about?!

^this...

...is why I almost never ever post in the forums.
  • BeachIron
    Options

^this...

...is why I almost never ever post in the forums.

Like, almost never. Ever.