Protein powder suggestions?

Options

Replies

• jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I just tried Nature Best's Isopure Dutch Chocolate this morning, not bad to have 50g of protein with 220 calories.

It's not as tasty as Labrada's chocolate but it seems Nature Best's list of ingredients is "better"
  • JLE529
    JLE529 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Sounds like I have more research to do :)
  • marceyabrons
    marceyabrons Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use Intek Evolution Protein. It has 34g of protein, 1g of sugar and 2g of carbs. Not to mention it's the best tasting protein I have ever had, and I have tasted a variety.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    This has a lot of good info. I was going to post my own thread but I guess I don't have to now.

I only eat meat 2-3 times a week and the protein I get from other items such as plants, beans, and nuts only puts me around 50g of protein per day. I am pretty sure I need to be up in the 120s? (I weigh 250) I looked at hemp powder but it was only 10g per scoop which isn't as much as say whey. However, I read that whey can have some funky stuff in it like heavy metals :ohwell:

I'm still not sure what kind to buy. I'd like to stay away from soy and dairy or animal products if possible.
  • savoiaS1
    savoiaS1 Posts: 129
    Options
    Whatever is the cheapst if u dont care about taste. Whey protein is protein. Wal mart has cheap stuff that works. If youre going for taste I like Cellucor Cor series Peanut butter marshmallow, cinnamon swirl or cookies and cream and Iforce makes a red velvet cake which is delicious.
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options
    iForce Protean>all protein powders.

i like gaspari myofusion cinnamon roll too
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Whatever is the cheapst if u dont care about taste. Whey protein is protein. Wal mart has cheap stuff that works. If youre going for taste I like Cellucor Cor series Peanut butter marshmallow, cinnamon swirl or cookies and cream and Iforce makes a red velvet cake which is delicious.

different protein powders will contain different quality of residual products.
    such as heavy metals.

ON was tested by consumer reports to have the least
    muscle milk had the most and then costco pulled their line off the shelves.
    cytosport also didnt comment on the fact they were being accused so I am assuming it was true.

another thing is that they were doing tests to see how much protein content was actually in the protein than what was stated. There are alot of companies ****ing people over.

LOL @ GLUTEN FREE!
    Advertisin to pull people in. its like saying my milk or apple is gluten free. There is no wheat, no ****
  • majasmi
    majasmi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i use ON whey double choc. pretty good taste and mixes well which is great since i can save time in pulling out/washing the blender. and already includes BCAA's.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    Here's the truth:

Most distributing companies DO NOT manufacture their own products. They rely on a 3rd party to manufacture it for them. They just slap a label on it and sell it to the consumer. So what you get from one company, is probably the same ingredients for another company. And since most 3rd party manufacturers look to make a good profit, they use raw materials they may not be the purest.

This is personally why I chose Optimum Nutrition products. At the very least they formulate and manufacture their own products in the US.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DatMurse
    Options
    i use ON whey double choc. pretty good taste and mixes well which is great since i can save time in pulling out/washing the blender. and already includes BCAA's.
    BCAA is guaranteed with forms of animal protein.

They are making it sound better than it is. It is good regardless...
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I use ON products because they taste really good, in addition to what everyone else already said about them.

I started with Body Fortress which tastes like powdered chalk in a can and I thought it was disgusting. But I didn't know any better, and I actually thought you could get a could protein powder from Wal-Mart. I was wrong. Stay away from that crud.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Here's the truth:

Most distributing companies DO NOT manufacture their own products. They rely on a 3rd party to manufacture it for them. They just slap a label on it and sell it to the consumer. So what you get from one company, is probably the same ingredients for another company. And since most 3rd party manufacturers look to make a good profit, they use raw materials they may not be the purest.

This is personally why I chose Optimum Nutrition products. At the very least they formulate and manufacture their own products in the US.

IDEA Fitness member
    ON is solid. Don't buy their Hydrowhey though.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Here's the truth:

IDEA Fitness member
    ON is solid. Don't buy their Hydrowhey though.

Too late. I shifted from whey to casein though.

Casein has a higher satiety than whey so I just mixed my whey into my casein and said **** it.

Easier to cut with
  • QuinceyBethx3
    Options
    Syntha-6 Chocolate Milkshake : ) yumm.
  • 007FatSlayer
    007FatSlayer Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Raw Organic Whey (raworganicwhey.com)..that's what I use. It's unflavored and doesn't have any options for flavors. The lactose content is very little (I'm lactose intolerant).
  • MsipiGRITS
    MsipiGRITS Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Unjury protein. Not good in heated situations, but tastes great and mixes well.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

I use this one, great with plain water and a frozen banana. PEEL the banana, cut in half, and freeze.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I use ON too, Mint Chocolate right now but thinking of getting vanilla for more flexibility in getting creative with it :D
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Raw Organic Whey (raworganicwhey.com)..that's what I use. It's unflavored and doesn't have any options for flavors. The lactose content is very little (I'm lactose intolerant).

should look up whey isolate....

wtf that **** is like 47 dollars a pound
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    TruNutrition Sciences Trutein. It has a variety of solid flavors, doesn't mask their ingredients in proprietary blends, and has a really nice texture. I like their no bull**** approach to their supplements, and since the first sip I've been hooked. Generally speaking, I don't like to shop at GNC because it's too pricey. Online shopping is for me.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/tru-nutrition/trutein.html