absorption of calories

asltiffm
asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I am reading a book right now on probiotics and prebitoics. It's talking about how certain nutrients are more easily absorbed when you eat a healthy diet. Does your diet make a difference in how many calories are absorbed or are they all always absorbed no matter what?

Replies

• mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    I am reading a book right now on probiotics and prebitoics. It's talking about how certain nutrients are more easily absorbed when you eat a healthy diet. Does your diet make a difference in how many calories are absorbed or are they all always absorbed no matter what?

lol i was just thinking about this the other day in this context: "Most MFP'ers continue to split the hairs on exactly how many calories are being burned - wonder when they are going to talk about the efficiency of their digestive system!"

So from what I know, the better health your digestive system is in, the more calories you will absorb from your foods; your body is more efficient when its healthy.
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    I don't have the link but I read a paper that was really a research study of other studies and it was trying to determine why some people didn't lose weight. They determined that it was not due to difference of absorbing of calories because the digestive system was around 95% efficient normally so even if it become 98% wouldn't make any real difference. Now the conclusion of it was those that didn't lose weight must have been lying about what they actually ate so take that as you will.
This discussion has been closed.