10 Words You Need to Stop Misspelling

Options
deckerp
deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
Here's a link to a funny page that will help you correct many common spelling and usage mistakes on forums.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

It covers:

Lose vs Loose
Weird vs Wierd
Their vs They're vs There
Your vs You're
It's vs Its
Definitely
Effect vs Affect
Weather vs Whether
A lot vs Alot
Then vs Than

There has to be others that find this type of thing both annoying and funny.

Replies

• laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    :laugh: lose vs. loose..EVERYDAY on here lol
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    "Definately" definitely drives me nuts. :grumble:
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I cringe every time I see "I need to loose weight" or similar. It's become a pet peeve of mine...
  • deckerp
    Options
    For those geeks out there, check out the source of the web page.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

In Internet Explorer you can click View>Source from the menu. It will open in notepad. They put some ascii art in the comments section. I was surprised and amused.

Warning: There is a naughty word in the comments too.
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    The pterodactyl???!!! Amazing.
    Why would you ever want to open the source of a web page? :huh:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness I'm not the only one this bugs like crazy!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    The correct spelling of words is the least of my worries...I love reading the posts anyway! Have a great weekend everyone!
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    witch which :)
  • stephflo33
    stephflo33 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's separate, not seperate, and piece, not peice. Do you know what really bugs me? When people try to sound like they are using correct English by saying, "and I" As in, "Sally and I went to the store," instead of "Sally and me went to the store." That particular example is correct; it should be, "Sally and I" However, there are incorrect ways to say "and I" For example: "Jack invited Sally and I to dinner." Wrong. In this case it should be "Jack invited Sally and me to dinner," because if Sally was removed from the sentence and the invite you would not say, "Jack invited I to dinner." See? Sorry, it just bugs me. Whew! That felt good.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    "Definately" definitely drives me nuts. :grumble:
    Ditto - and people correct me to the WRONG spelling all the time. :noway:
  • JStarnes
    Options
    It's separate, not seperate, and piece, not peice. Do you know what really bugs me? When people try to sound like they are using correct English by saying, "and I" As in, "Sally and I went to the store," instead of "Sally and me went to the store." That particular example is correct; it should be, "Sally and I" However, there are incorrect ways to say "and I" For example: "Jack invited Sally and I to dinner." Wrong. In this case it should be "Jack invited Sally and me to dinner," because if Sally was removed from the sentence and the invite you would not say, "Jack invited I to dinner." See? Sorry, it just bugs me. Whew! That felt good.
    THANK YOU!! This one also drives me nuts.
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    "Supposably" drives me nuts.

I had a boss back in the 80's that always called me by the wrong name. All my friends called me Mike or Big V, but because my name wouldn't fit on a time card, it alway read "Vallandingham, Micha". There wasn't room for the "el" in Michael. He was always trying to show everyone how much of a buddy he was to everyone, so he was always calling me Micha. I didn't like him, so I never corrected him and I always enjoyed sharing the mistake with my friends when they overheard him and asked me about it. I have a weird sense of humor.
  • deckerp
    Options
    The pterodactyl???!!! Amazing.
    Why would you ever want to open the source of a web page?
    I maintain web servers for a living so I look at source code all the time. I like the pterodactyl.
    "Supposably" drives me nuts.
    I've heard this several times recently. I always think of Joey on Friends.

"Did they go to the library? Supposably...."

Which reminds me of another one: libary. Doh!

And another one: it's "than" not "then".

Like, I'd rather do this than that.

(I think that was listed originally but I see it again and again).
  • JStarnes
    Options
    The "Supposably" thing reminded me of Joey, too!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options

Thank you for that. Thank you to all fellow grammar and spelling nerds. :laugh: :drinker: :laugh:
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Plain yoghurt spelled plane yoghurt
  • klang62
    klang62 Posts: 6
    Options
    His and he's!
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    YES! I love this thread, LOL.

As for the alot vs. a lot- read this blog. It's one of the funniest things I've ever read... but that's because I'm a grammar Nazi.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i saw this thread and thought 'dare i join in' because my spelling and punctuation is abissmal so İ am sure you are all giggling by now!
    İ actually teach English in Turkey and cringe at some of the spelling mistakes i make on the board. İ can spell 'restaurant 'though which supposedly is the most mis-spelt word in the English language!
    i read somewhere that the Oxford dictionary had deleted all the hyphens so i cant even 'mis-spell' now!
  • tara3103
    tara3103 Posts: 107
    Options
    How about to vs. too! I hate that one!