Broccoli Pesto

Options
Healthier_Me
Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
2 cups fresh broccoli florets
1/2 cup fresh parsley
3-4 cloves garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts (toasted, if you have time)
1/4 cup shredded fresh Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
2 Tbsp. part-skim ricotta cheese
2-4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

Fill a medium saucepan three-quarters of the way full with water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
Add the broccoli and cook for 3 minutes or just until slightly tender, but still with a bit of snap.
Drain and immediately immerse the broccoli in ice cold water to retain the bright green color.
Drain again, and transfer the broccoli to the work bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
Add parsley, garlic, pine nuts, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and ricotta cheese. Pulse 6-8 times, until the mixture forms a chunky paste. Do not puree!
Pulse again, drizzling in a few tablespoons of olive oil at a time. When the mixture reaches the desired consistency, stop and serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
*Note: You may not need to use all of the olive oil in this pesto recipe.

Makes about 2 cups of pesto.

Per 1/4 cup serving: 97 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 55 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 3 g protein, 18% vitamin A, 37% vitamin C, 6% calcium, 4% iron

http://healthycooking.suite101.com/article.cfm/broccoli_pesto

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    2 cups fresh broccoli florets
    1/2 cup fresh parsley
    3-4 cloves garlic
    1/4 cup pine nuts (toasted, if you have time)
    1/4 cup shredded fresh Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
    2 Tbsp. part-skim ricotta cheese
    2-4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

Fill a medium saucepan three-quarters of the way full with water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
    Add the broccoli and cook for 3 minutes or just until slightly tender, but still with a bit of snap.
    Drain and immediately immerse the broccoli in ice cold water to retain the bright green color.
    Drain again, and transfer the broccoli to the work bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
    Add parsley, garlic, pine nuts, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and ricotta cheese. Pulse 6-8 times, until the mixture forms a chunky paste. Do not puree!
    Pulse again, drizzling in a few tablespoons of olive oil at a time. When the mixture reaches the desired consistency, stop and serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
    *Note: You may not need to use all of the olive oil in this pesto recipe.

Makes about 2 cups of pesto.

Per 1/4 cup serving: 97 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 55 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 3 g protein, 18% vitamin A, 37% vitamin C, 6% calcium, 4% iron

http://healthycooking.suite101.com/article.cfm/broccoli_pesto