Burpees?

Options
What have been your success stories doing burpees? I tried them for the first time today. I have a love/hate relationship with them. Do you do them regularly, and have you seen improvements in your body from doing these? Thanks.

Replies

• voyagewithme
    Options
    If college ball taught me anything it was to HATE burpies. Those things will kick your butt. We had to log 100 everyday. Oh my gosh. They will get you in shape. and make your calves look glorious! :)
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I hate them but find them really satisfying. The first time I did 10 a few weeks ago I thought my lungs would explode haha - now I can do more and more and they get easier every time. Still hurt though.
  • MattChurchill
    MattChurchill Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Burpees appear lots in my circuit classes. I prefer weighted burpees, usually with 15kg dumbells to make them a little more interesting
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Wow, weighted burpees? I am gonna try to do the 100 burpees challenge with Fitness Blender. Wish me luck.
  • hannahsauce
    Options
    AHHHHH Burpees! Love to hate these! But they work good core and cardio for me. I try to avoid them, but they always knock on my door and tell me they are ready for me.
  • leeroxboro
    leeroxboro Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the heart to try burpees yet...maybe in a couple of days, weeks, months, years...My son demonstrated how they did them for PT when he was in the military, and they look like they just plain out hurt!! I can't do a real push up yet, so I doubt I could pull off doing a burpee!!
  • mumtheshopper
    mumtheshopper Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    OK OK. I give in. what are they?
  • JacquiMayCrook
    JacquiMayCrook Posts: 308 Member
    Options

^ This! ^ I've never heard of burpees!
  • kinu21_82
    kinu21_82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

This is how you do a burpee.

Sit into a squat.
    Kick your feet behind you so you're in a push-up position.
    Lower your chest to the ground.
    Press back up to complete the push up.
    Pull your feet back in so you're in squat position.
    Jump up in the air while clapping overhead.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I remember when they were called squat thrusts. I did not like them back then, and I don't like them now. I still do them, but I do so reluctantly.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Bump

Burpees are Crazy/Cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7_TBHno0Os
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    they are a great cardio exercise. You will get out of them what you put in. I've seen some TERRIBLE burpee form in my time and especially when so many of these "do as many as you can" programs are about.

Neutral lumbar spine when you squat jump please :smile:
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    they are a great cardio exercise. You will get out of them what you put in. I've seen some TERRIBLE burpee form in my time and especially when so many of these "do as many as you can" programs are about.

Neutral lumbar spine when you squat jump please :smile:
    This is why I was kind of turned off of the insanity work out. Not that it won't be great for those who can maintain the good form, but I would worry about injury if I could not maintain good form. I usually do them slower than some would think I should, but I try to make each one right.
  • stephaniep12345mfp
    stephaniep12345mfp Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am about 1/4 of the way through a 100-day burpee challenge. I don't like doing them, but I think it does help with core strength and works a lot of the body at once.
  • leeroxboro
    leeroxboro Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I might could handle these beginner ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIQx1FiQt50&list=PL790FA88C4406237C

Maybe I should start here, and work up to a real one!!
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I love burpees! Everyone around me moans and groans about them and I'm all, "Hey, lemme hurry up and do mine and I'll finish yours with you!".

For me it's mostly about the fact that I'm so darn grateful that I CAN do them. It feels like a privilege.
  • KristysLosing
    KristysLosing Posts: 683
    Options

This is how you do a burpee.

Sit into a squat.
    Kick your feet behind you so you're in a push-up position.
    Lower your chest to the ground.
    Press back up to complete the push up.
    Pull your feet back in so you're in squat position.
    Jump up in the air while clapping overhead.

:noway: I don't think I can do that...maybe someday! Or maybe 1 if I'm lucky...:laugh:
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i do these everyday in my workouts. but surprisingly I haven't burped much while performing them.
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to ask this question... my basement (workout space) has low ceilings, I can't do the overhead clap... will a burpee suffer if I were to, say, just bring my arms out to my side instead of overhead?
  • workavoidance
    Options
    The only thing I've noticed improving with burpees is my ability to do burpees. It does feel pretty badass though, to be the only one in my boxing class who can finish the speed sets we do at the end of an intense 90 minute class. God, I hate my trainer.