salt fiend needs help!

Options
Hallzeehall
Hallzeehall Posts: 38 Member
So I LOVE salt...and its fine in moderation but I am borderline high blood pressure and talked my dr. Into foregoing medication for a few months while I attempt to lose weight and get my bp down through diet/weight loss. Seems like so many foods are high sodium foods and most recipes have salt in them and I wonder if anyone has tasty alternatives that are not in any way related to peppers (meaning green, red, yellow peppers...everyone tells me to cook with these for flavor but I honestly hate the taste)

Replies

• Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Honestly I used to be the same, I cut it out completely and now I can't imagine adding it to my food. It was strange at first but I got used to it amazingly quickly :flowerforyou:
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My brother had a blood pressure scare several years ago and because our dad died young of a heart attack, we both decided we would take our diets in hand with regards to salt.

A lot of recipes use salt, but don't really need it. Try using other herbs and flavourings instead and only add salt if you find it makes a noticeable difference.. I use parsley a lot, and if I'm making anything Italian or French inspired, I just use a lot of garlic, which can really bring out the flavours in tomato sauces and cheese-based dishes.

If you cut down on the salt used in cooking, you can then add it to meals afterwards in moderation. When it's sprinkled on top of your meal, you can taste it better and use less- that's what I find.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Most things that call for salt taste perfectly fine if salt is omitted. Not everything, but most. I rarely use salt at all.
  • ednawhatnot
    ednawhatnot Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm a salt fiend too but I've tried to cut down a bit on processed food to reduce the bloating effect that excess sodium has been causing recently. Try herbs, chillies, black pepper etc and if you really have to put salt on something, add it after cooking when you will actually taste it, rather than boiling pasta etc in it.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    i vote going cold turkey.

i used to eat more salt than food, but as soon as i had kids i stopped adding it to cooking and having it on the table during meals. everything tasted dire for a while but my taste buds got used to it.

lemon juice helps. great on chicken, fish & veg.
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    i vote going cold turkey.

i used to eat more salt than food, but as soon as i had kids i stopped adding it to cooking and having it on the table during meals. everything tasted dire for a while but my taste buds got used to it.

lemon juice helps. great on chicken, fish & veg.
    THIS!! ^^^ You took the words right out of my mouth! :o))
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Eat mainly homemade food. All the ready made stuff is practically made of salt.

Most recipes can go without the salt.

I hardly ever use salt. Most things taste fine without it.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I say just give yourself a chance to adjust to less salt. Things will taste bad at first, but then you will learn to appreciate flavors that aren't overwhelmed by salt.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    So I LOVE salt...and its fine in moderation but I am borderline high blood pressure and talked my dr. Into foregoing medication for a few months while I attempt to lose weight and get my bp down through diet/weight loss. Seems like so many foods are high sodium foods and most recipes have salt in them and I wonder if anyone has tasty alternatives that are not in any way related to peppers (meaning green, red, yellow peppers...everyone tells me to cook with these for flavor but I honestly hate the taste)

I have not touched a salt shaker in a month. That's strange for me, because I LOVE salt.

I did get the Bragg Liquid Aminos. That is unfermented soy liquid. Yes, it's sodium, but here is how I use it. I only use it on foods that I simply can't stand without salt, like boiled eggs. I spray once on my plate and then dip into it just a bit. I don't use it every bite.

I make a conscious decision not to use it for most foods, because once you get off of the table salt, foods will start to have flavors that you had not noticed. The sweetness of snap beans, the textures and flavors come alive. Some foods have their own salt, like butternut squash. Once you get off of the sodium, your palate will begin to pick up these flavors.

I have learned that both sugar and salt were masking the true flavors of the foods that I was eating.
  • DisappearingTwinkie
    DisappearingTwinkie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Salty is my food. My go to for everything. Have you tried lime and pepper seasoning or lemon and pepper seasoning. It helps me because that sourness of the citrus triggers some of the same taste buds. I also switched to Celtic Sea Salt, Sun dried. a little goes a long ways. The sad thing is that I have yet to find the umph I get from salt when out and about. So I tend to try and just not add any to whatever I order, and moderate. Well on good days lol.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash No Salt seasonings.

I just bought three. They taste like salt but they have zero calories and zero sodium