Treadmill worth it?

Options
I am thinking of getting one... They are very expensive but it is coming to winter in Australia and it gets dark quickly with no daylight savings in Perth and the rain/storms make for great excuses for not going outside haha

Do you have one? How often do you use it really ?

Replies

• chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I had one for 10 years and loved it; I did invest in an expensive one (around $1,000 US back in 1999). Two years ago it broke & I bought an elliptical instead - one of my life's biggest regrets. I started running & walking outside a year ago, but found in the winter I couldn't breathe right outside. Sold the elliptical for only pennies compared to what I paid so I'm still saving up for another treadmill. I say GO FOR IT! Not having my cardio during the dark winter, cold, snowy months helped me to gain back 12 lbs. Now I'm fighting to get it off. Buy that treadmill & make me jealous - lol ;)
  • danglewtf
    danglewtf Posts: 29
    Options
    I rent one for a few months when the weather gets too dark and unpredictable (Crappy night in Adelaide tonight, and I need to get one sorted ASAP!) They can take up quite a lot of space, and they're generally fairly noisy, but worth their weight in gold when the weather gets horrid!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym earlier this year so I could use it during summer..... worst thing I ever did. I'm a runner & running on something that was taking me nowhere & ever so boring was....well boring. I got more hot doing it as well cause of no wind in my face at all. I hated every moment on it.

Just go walking/running earlier. Rug up if you are walking, don't rug up so much if running. Perth is nowhere near as cold as Melbourne gets so you are lucky.

I know it sucks getting dark early, but save your money & just go earlier.
  • AbnormalYak
    AbnormalYak Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I got mine 3 weeks ago and I've used it every day. My husband uses it a lot, too. I love it because I used to love running but I'm too self-conscious to run outdoors now. So I run and walk on my treadmill and one day when I'm slimmer and more confident I'll run outside again.

Treadmill running can get boring, so I watch TED talks on Netflix on my iPad while I'm walking so I don't get bored. And when I run I do the Zombies, Run! iPhone app, which is really fun and motivating.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is my go to exercise... I paid 3000. for mine 17 years ago and it still runs like a champ!! (cybex) It's also much more versatile than you would think.... treadmills are not just for walking/ running alone!! :) good investment!!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    It's only worth it if you are going to use it. Personally, after running outside so much, I just ran during the winter (0 C +/-10)and filled in at the gym with one.
  • jeets888
    jeets888 Posts: 2,237 Member
    Options
    I was discussing the same thing with my cousin - he is thinking of getting one. They are expensive so i asked him to weigh up the cost of a threadmill vs how many months would that pay for at a gym. We worked it out and he could either buy a threadmill or go to gym for 2-3 years ... so depending on your goals - would say it is something to consider because you can use the threadmill at a gym.

That being said - i run but generally its on a threadmill and used the right way i.e. interval training, hill training, tempo runs .... the fitness returns are there

Just remember if you get a threadmill, need to make sure your mind going to stay focussed on running on it as the monotony of a threadmill run can cause mental battles.

Good luck with your decision.
  • MrsSausage58
    MrsSausage58 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love mine. It was definitely worth the money. I still run outside and do classes, workout DVD's too, but use my treadmill as part of my workout routine.
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    we have one

the one that gets most use is the dog.... yes we put our dog on it when it rains, kids don't want to walk it

I use it when something comes up and I have run out of cals and hubby brings home a small 200ml bottle of wine or choc and I don't have the cals to cover it.

they take up alot of room, however I think it is a good idea

anyone can add me
  • Gaynor_
    Gaynor_ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have one because of the high pollution where I live.

I use it but I hate it.

There is nothing worse than exercising right next to my ridiculously comfy couch. I have to mentally motivated myself so much more than a treadmill at the gym or a run outdoors.

Why don't you hire one for a few months to see how much you really use it.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill only makes you good at running on a treadmill and is no substitute for running outside if that's your ultimate goal. I find I get overuse injuries easily on them, mostly down to the elevation I need to mimic running outside. In winter, I run at lunchtimes and weekends, and invest in decent cold-weather gear, to get out in daylight. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I use my treadmill during the week when it is too dark and cold to get outside (I am in Canberra). And then get out on the roads on the weekends and holidays.

I use my treadmill for interval/ speed work and then clock up the miles when I am outside.

I do not belong to a gym and find that my treadmill is great. I like that I can mix it up inside, outside, speed and distance work. Also when I am really unmotivated I tell myself I only need to go for a walk on the treadmill. Usually I end up running once I am on there, but if I really am not up for it, I have at least been for a walk.

I say weigh it up for you, but for me it is great!
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I use mine 3 - 5 days a week depending on my training program's needs, work schedule, and weather. I prefer to run outside, but with my schedule it's just not possible a lot of the time. I turn on a couple fans to keep myself cool, turn up the music, and just lose myself in the run.
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i got a middle of the range motorised treadmill that i have had for 3 years and i use it regularly in the winter here in the UK (like you, i dont really like running outside in the dark)
    i bought mine from my mum who paid a fortune for it....she used it a dozen times then put it in the garage and it stayed there for 2 years!
    i used it today as i was waiting for a courier to deliver a parcel today and i needed to be at home for that, but wanted to get my cardio done for the day and it annoys me if i am sitting at home for ages and think i could have done my run in the time i have been sitting around!
    i also have an elliptical cross trainer/bike next to it in our spare room and i often interval train on both!
    its like anything....its great to start with...then the novelty wears off and it becomes a clothes hanger...but i can safely say our is used lol!
    nothing beats getting outside in the fresh air but its better than nothing and you dont have to worry about only being allowed 15mins on it like at some gyms! :wink:
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I have one and use it daily. Winters can be brutal here in Michigan. I prefer running outside but its not worth the risk of injury (slipping on snow or ice) in the winter. I also have a hard time with breathing in cold air-I am definitely a warm weather runner.
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Yes, for me I use it at least 3 x a week, what i did was to prove to myself i set up a spreadsheet working out my cost per use, i'm at £6.83, it really helps me motivate myself and bring that number down, it has been cheaper than the gym at £25 quid per month. So worth it for me, would get another if mine broke! I'm not as confident to jog outside yet maybe in time, but would need the tready for the winter months.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You can't really rely on what others have done. I love my treadmill and use it twice a day for 35 minute walks. Will you do the same? That depends on many factors. Some people don't like the monotony. I read while I walk, so I have completed many a novel while walking the treadmill. I do have a gym membership for weights, mostly, but I use their treadmills as well. At this point, with the amount of time spent at the gym, I wouldn't buy one if mine broke. I would just go to the gym. But some people don't like getting into the car and driving to the gym everyday. So you have to ask yourself if you would be able to go to the gym everyday (often people have good intentions, but getting to the gym is often the problem with keeping up a program) or would it be better for me to have a treadmill in my home so that I am more compelled to use it?
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I have one, but rarely use it now. However, I live in Phoenix AZ, and bad weather is not much of a concern. I just get outside early in the morning, when the day is coolest. I did use the treadmill quite a bit when I was initially trying to get back into better shape. I started off walking, and did the entire C25K program on the treadmill.

If your goal is to get exercise, and not necessarily to compete in an outdoor event, I would say go for it. There are even Olympic athletes who have used a treadmill as part of their training routine.
  • tanyalevan
    tanyalevan Posts: 182
    Options
    Thanks everyone a lot of mixed responses which is what I was expecting. I think the best thing for me to do would be to hire one for a few months and see how much i use it. It is my birthday this month so I was thinking of spoiling myself with one and I have been saving!

I really love this site I can ask a question and actually get a reponse!!

Thanks again!