Water only diet vs Protein shake diet

Options
Hi,

Im sure we all know the massive benefits that going on a water only diet for a few days can bring (if you dont, please dont talk about starvation mode and crashed metabolism please.. not interested in hearing advocates of these myths). However one concern I have over a 3-5 day water fast is possible muscle canibalisation. Does anyone think or know that subbing in 1 or 2 protein shakes during this fast may prevent that and promote a better burn of fat and over muscle?

Should muscle cannibalisation be a concern during a water only fast or is it not that big a deal?

Also, what is an effective number of days to endure a water fast for to get an optimal detox?

Thanks for any help

Replies

• sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You lose muscle on a deficit.
    So you would still lose muscle on protein shakes , if still in deficit.
    I understand you can do damage limitation by exercise and protein consumption,
    but im no expert!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i've heard that a fast where you only take in 600 (men) cals for no more than 3 days in a row would be beneficial so i'm sure you could use 2 or 3 shakes - i think the point of it is to cut back the protein (so cells repair rather than multiply?!?) though so i'm not entirely sure.
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thanks! damage limitation is exactly what I would go for if it is not completely unavoidabe
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I used to fast with Diet Dr. Pepper for a few days. Don't know what I was thinking.:frown: lol Because later in life, I found I did better on :heart: Weight Watchers:heart: ..without starving.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of any benefits at all of a water-only fast.

Anyway, the only numbers I could find state a pound of muscle equates to anywhere between 600 and 1600 cals, depending on the source. If your deficit for the period exceeds your ability to metabolise fat, the rest will come from muscle/bones/other tissues.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown no muscle atrophy for fasts lasting up to 72 hours (that I have seen). I stick with a max of 24 hours but have a friend or two (on here) who do occasional longer fasts.

Based on that, I would suggest setting 72 hours as a max. Technically, if you consume protein shakes, your body is no longer in a fasted state. If you are thinking of going that route, you might as well just do a couple shorter fasts and have an actual meal and "fed" day in between.

If I have read my studies correctly, benefits level off after a certain number of hours ranging from 18-30 hours depending on the specific health benefit.

ETA: You may find you get more actual answers if you post in the Intermittent Fasting group.

Second edit: Apparently my early morning reading comprehension isn't top notch. I don't believe in detoxing unless you are detoxing from drugs or alcohol and there are some pretty specific protocols for that. The benefits I am referring to are hormonal and chemical.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    don't know if you're in the uk or us but if you can find the michael mosely (BBC) documentary on fasting there is some good info in there - i won't try explaining - he does it much better.
  • JakeBrownVB
    Options
    Looking around online there is an incredible number of different opinions about, it seems to me like the jury is out on this one.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Also, what is an effective number of days to endure a water fast for to get an optimal detox?
    0?

Your body has some excellent mechanisms for 'detoxifying' evolved to work with food consumption over the millennia.

From the wikipedia disambiguation page: "Detoxification, the process, real or perceived, of removing toxins from the body."
    A little further down that same page: Detoxification (alternative medicine), is the unsupported belief that a change in consumption habits can remove toxins from the body.

Does anyone have any good evidence it's anything but pure 'woo'?

There's plenty of evidence regarding addiction to drugs and how a 'detox' can help you get off with an appropriate program I believe. I haven't seen any so far for food related ones. Nor 'cleanses'.
  • JakeBrownVB
    Options
    Sorry but that really isnt what I just said now was it... the jury is out on wether or not protein consumption during a fast slows down the rate of muscle antropy.

If you are actually saying that the benefits of a water fast is "pure hockey" then you have really no clue what you are talking about and I gladly disregard your opinions and label you among the kind of people who state that 1600 calories a day causes "starvation mode"...

I would like some experianced or knowledgable individuals to assist me in furthering my understanding of a water fast which already fast superceeds your current knowledge that can only be described as no knowledge at all..
  • rabies
    rabies Posts: 62
    Options
    Water fasts work, just as well as any other way of lowering your energy balance by some 2000-2500 calories. If you want to go that route then by all means do it.

You can slow down muscle loss by adding essential amino acids in sufficient amounts, but if you're aiming at less than 0.5g protein per pound of bodyweight don't bother.

However, protein shakes are very suboptimal when fasting. The proteins needs to be digested in order to enter the blood stream, and during a fast they simply won't stay in your system long enough. Go the EAA/BCAA route instead.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    What kind of water do you plan on drinking during this detoxifying water fast of yours? Mineral, Sparkling, Distilled, Tap, Spring ??
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I have fasted for many years now off and on..and Protein Shakes have no business in a fast! Water is the way to go my friend:)
    I truly hope you know what you are doing here...
  • semarsh12
    semarsh12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The human body is just not designed to do these kind of things. Really.

Good luck with that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP you should probably not do more than a 72 hour fast, anything longer than that will put you into starvation mode. As someone else suggested, you might have better success with a long fast followed by a small eating window like something like lean gains 18/8 ...

I am not opposed to IF, I did lean gains for six months with good results. I am opposed to five day fasts as that just seems a sure way to put yourself into starvation mode, which is not a myth when one has not eaten for three days straight...

I would suggest a 72 hour fast or a lean gains type fast and not a 5 day fast..
  • CatMcCheesey
    CatMcCheesey Posts: 143
    Options
    I just got dumber reading this post.

I had never heard the term "muscle cannibalisation." When I googled "muscle cannibalisation" the only sites that came up were regarding crazy super low cal fad diets.... which speaks very strongly to me about where that term came from. A wiki article didn't even pop up first! Which was surprising....

What you're saying is pure nonsense and honestly, a really ridiculous thing to do. You have fun with it though. I hope you don't have a job where you actually have to focus, think, or operate heavy machinery....

Your google must work differently than mine. I got completely different results from you, when I just did a search in google. And a search in Google Scholar provided links to several different scientific studies.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If you don't have much muscle to lose anyway, I guess it's not that big of a deal. Have fun running on empty after day 2-3.
  • JakeBrownVB
    Options
    Why on gods earth are you saying muscle cannibalisation is nonsense?? that is simply another term for your body consuming proteins from your muscle when you are on a low calorie diet or fast..

If you have honestly never heard that you loose muscle when dieting then you have no business posting in forums where a person is asking for advice.

Oh yeah you dont consume muscle when dieting.. thats why all the starving people in concentration camps had massive abs and ripped muscly bodies.. and were in fact strong and not weak in the slightest...

God it can be so infuriating trying to get honest advice when so many miss informed (and im sorry but i dont really wanna be rude) idiots are posting in these forums.. especially when someone says that your body consuming muscle is a scam or a fad LOL.

There has been some great help from some people so thanks!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    whether or not it has magical powers, nowt but water for days sounds dull!

my body ticks along ok on... food.

have fun!
  • JakeBrownVB
    Options
    Uneducated idiot would like to know what marvelous effects are to be achieved by doing any kind of fast for any number of days?

The positive effects are endless! in fact read 25 on them right here! http://www.listafterlist.com/tabid/57/listid/16131/Health/Top+25+Positive+Effects+of+Fasting.aspx

I would honestly appreciate if you used an ounce of common sense and looked into your research before making sarcastic comments mate..
This discussion has been closed.