Can't sleep since I started exercising.

Ok So I have never had trouble sleeping before but since I started working out almost daily I have trouble sleeping. Some days I am up until 2 am and others I am awake at 5 am. I just want to sleep. Sleeping is my favorite part of my day. I am getting really, really depressed because I am tired and I can't fall back asleep.

I don't drink much caffeine. I probably have 12 cups of tea a day but I use the same leaves 3 - 4 times so cups 2, 3 and 4 have virtually no caffeine (it seeps out within the first 30 seconds of the first steep). I drink no fizzy drinks and only very rarely juice.

I am not awake because I am hungry. I just can't sleep. I would rather be dead than be awake before ten. I love sleeping. I want to get some damn sleep.

I got four hours before waking up this time.

Edit: I exercise sporadically through the day between when I wake up and like five hours before I go to bed. I don't exercise near bedtime.

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Sounds like maybe you should see a doctor for this.
  • Can't afford to. First appointments with local doctors cost about 200 - 250 dollars. No free clinics within 30 miles (Or in my county and a lot outside my county won't take those out of county). Next?
  • 1BRINKLEY
    1BRINKLEY Posts: 13
    Try to do all your exercising before 1pm. Also don't drink any tea after 3. There is a OTC med called Unisome. Its the best.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Since you are unable to see a doctor, my recommendation would be to try limiting your exercise to the morning hours only. Also, it probably doesn't seem like you are getting a lot of caffeine from your tea, but I would highly recommend gradually cutting back on the amount you are drinking and substituting glasses of water instead.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    One of the symptoms of overexertion is insomnia. Maybe you need to slow down your routine or take a rest day.
  • even though your reusing the tea bag, its still a lot of caffeine. Id do decaff and see if any change
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    I'm having the same problem. I'm not a morning person, so I can't workout then. I think it's because of the energy rush I get from exercising. I thought that in time my body will get used to this, but it's been over a month and nothing.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Even five hours before bedtime might be enough to rile a person up. Try doing it no later than 1 p.m., as someone suggested.
  • Even five hours before bedtime might be enough to rile a person up. Try doing it no later than 1 p.m., as someone suggested.

I don't have any time in the morning. I get up and go immediately to work and then I am at work all day. I come home exercise and whatever else I do. I can't wake up earlier because mornings seriously make me want to kill myself.
  • I have the same issue but I had a stress test done and my cortisol levels were all out of order. I work early so working out in the morning is not an option for me, I get up at 430 as it is. I cannot get up any earlier than that...oy..

I recently started on ReloraPlus, it helps to level out my adrenal gland and then I take Melatonin before bed. I do not drink any coffee, tea, or soda... I only drink water. Also, I notice it helps when I turn off all electronics as least an hour before bed, no TV, computer, or phone. It definitely helps to let my brain calm down.

Good luck! I definitely know how you feel when you are sleep deprived. :(