Trust the Treadclimber??

Options
Hi : ) I walk on my Treadclimber several times a week (4-5). I have the incline set to a 7 and I start out at 3mph and work up to the max of 4mph. If I walk for about an hour, (ended up doing 3.56 miles) it says I burned 805 calories. Does this seem like a feasible number?

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It is if you weigh 250 lbs. and do not use handrail support at all during the workout. If not, no.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Machine's lie. It's a known fact.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Not really. I weigh roughly 200lbs, and when I do 40 minutes of high intensity cardio like Insanity where my HR is up around 155-185 the whole time I only burn between 450-525 calories, when I start doing the hour long workouts in month 2 I only expect to see 650-750 calories burned, but I know it's a lot more intense than doing 4mph on a treadclimber. If you don't have a HRM I would log it as walking, moderate pace and add for incline.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Does anyone else use a Treadclimber and know how accurate they actually are?

And I don't weigh 250lbs, I weigh around 170 which gets entered into the machine before I select my incline and speed.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Here is what Consumer Reports had to say about the TreadClimber

The claims
    Burn up to twice the calories as on a standard treadmill at the same speed

The reality
    At speeds of 2 mph and 3.5 mph burned twice as many calories as on a flat standard treadmill at the same speeds. At 4 mph it was equivalent to running 6 mph on a flat treadmill. A good way to burn calories, but watch your step: Tripping is possible. Diet plan is unconventional.