I want to learn more about nutrition...know a good book?

Options
Cre8veLifeR
Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
I have plateaued and I know it's because of my diet. I need to learn more about proper nutrition, not just "eating less calories" - I want to eat the RIGHT calories. Of course I know, proteins, whole grains, F&V's blah blah blah...but in what order? What together? The interwebs has too much information that's all different and often contradictory, so thought I would ask someone who has already taken this road!

TIA!

Replies

• Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Why Calories Count: From Science to Politics (California Studies in Food and Culture) by Marion Nestle. I saw this recommended in Clean Eating Magazine and ordered it on line. I am a nurse and have learned quite a bit about nutrition on my own and still enjoyed and found new info in this book.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
    In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
    What to Eat by Marion Nestle
    Real Food by Nina Planck
    Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

Have fun!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'd question how much the "right" calories even matter (given the context of this post)...

but I'm following along none the less because I enjoy learning.
  • Arloma
    Arloma Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Eat to Live or Eat for Health, both by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. He promotes a mostly, but not entirely, plant based diet (greens fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds) focusing on those that have the highest nutrient density. Would suggest checking out the website for more info. All the best, you look like you're doing great so far - and I know about the plateau so I can relate very well to your question.
  • SALSACHICA1
    SALSACHICA1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you want to learn HOW the body uses the calories, the beginning part of the South beach Diet book talks about it. My mom has Type 2 Diabetes and I have a friend who is type 1... so it helps explain a lot PLUS, if ever needed, I can count carbs for them!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I have plateaued and I know it's because of my diet. I need to learn more about proper nutrition, not just "eating less calories" - I want to eat the RIGHT calories. Of course I know, proteins, whole grains, F&V's blah blah blah...but in what order? What together? The interwebs has too much information that's all different and often contradictory, so thought I would ask someone who has already taken this road!

TIA!

The problem is there are thousands of books that that are all different and often contradictory also.

Personally I like this site..... http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition