Logging before you eat?

Options
Keeping up with my weight loss requires me to plan my meals. I've started logging parts of my day before I've eaten just because I know that's what I'm going to eat. Does anyone else do this? Would there be any reasons that this wouldn't be a good idea?

I always update if something changes, but generally, it doesn't.

Replies

• frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Going to follow this post. I don't log before I eat. I've often wondered if some of my MFP friends do this.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time, sometime I log days in advance as it helps me to stay focus.
  • natmadc
    natmadc Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I log sometimes two or three days in advance. And like you said, adjust if there are any changes. Planning is key, I dont see any downside to it.
  • macaelaf
    macaelaf Posts: 3
    Options
    I do this too because I usually forget to add in what I've eaten that day, i think it's a great idea. as long as you're eating exactly what you logged and remember to add anything else you might've eaten
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I almost always log before I eat. If I can, I plan out the whole day. It keeps me accountable, and then I can eat everything in my diary without even worrying that I'm going to go over. I'm one of those people that just worries about anything, and worrying that I might go way over tends to ruin the meal a bit for me when I'm trying to lose.
  • crissyniko
    crissyniko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do! Especially if I am going out for dinner at a restaurant! Lets me know what I can eat before the "dinner" . I also log as I am cooking to help me measure and weigh the food before I eat it, that way I can make adjustments if needed.
  • imophlebam
    imophlebam Posts: 10
    Options
    I do this especially if I'm planning on going out for dinner or something, so I can plan the rest of the day accordingly.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I do this usually daily. It keeps me honest and keeps me from straying since I don't feel like re-logging.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I do every day. Have since the day I joined. Easy to make sure I am going to meet my goals for the day. And plan my intake based on macros easier.
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I do it to see if something fits within my marcos, if so thats what im gonna eat. Nothing wrong with plannin your meals out.
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    I log the night before during the weekdays. I work full-time so I am away from home from 7:30-5ish. I plan what I'm going to bring to work, pack it and plan a dinner that will fit in. It really works for me. I wing it a bit more on weekends because we never know what we are going to be doing. I do make changes, usually just subtracting a snack that I didn't end up eating or adding a coffee (creamer).

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be a good idea. Whatever keeps you on track is a GREAT idea!
  • Rissy3636
    Rissy3636 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I often will log lunch or dinner for the day in advance. I eat a lot of the same things every day because I like to and I know how much I can eat, etc. I switch it up sometimes, but for the most part I eat a lot of the same things.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Yes I try to pre-log as much as possible!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I do this most days at least up until my afternoon snack so I know what to pack in my cooler to take with me to work. Otherwise I would severely underestimate what I can eat and then be left with way too many cals to eat at dinner and possibly sabotage myself. That, or I'd be starving at work and raid the vending machines or buy the nasty food they make in the cafe here. eewwwww
  • SamDanielleB
    Options
    When I pack my lunch in the morning, I go ahead and log it... It helps me have a good idea of what my dinner allowance will be. Very helpful.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Logging before eating was some of the best advice I've ever received from a dietitian. Logging before you consume anything and sometimes just glancing at your food log forces you to stop, think, and chose! I've lost track of the number of times it has saved me from making a poor decision. I'm a big proponent of this kind of skill power.
  • kpick41
    kpick41 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I usually log my food in the morning on days I go to work. I add in everything so I know how many calories I have left for dinner.
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I do that too! I use the food & exercise trackers as a planner and log anywhere from a day to a week in advance. I still go back in a check either what I'm supposed to have/do and check that my log is correct ... adjusting where necessary, but I find it really helpful doing it that way!
  • xprplstardust
    xprplstardust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i do it everday, it's easy because i work in an office & my lunch is pre-made & i already know what snacks i am going to eat during my time at work so i just pre-log everything in the morning. it's the weekends & dinner that i don't prelog cuz they are usually up in the air. plus i eat a lot of the same things anyway.
  • cazzamartinek
    cazzamartinek Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I do this to i find that it encourages me to eat healthy that day if i have already put it in my diary although if i do eat something different i will go back in and change it :smile: :smile: sometimes in do it for a couple of days in advance if i have the time :heart: