BBQ season is upon us

Options
2»

Replies

• karmabear06
    karmabear06 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The sky is the limit for grilling. I personally LOVE shrimp or chicken kabobs with really any kind of firm veggies (yellow squash, onion, bell pepper, baby portabella mushrooms, etc) You can create your own marinate depending on what "flavor" your going for with fresh or dried herbs and spices. I only marinate the meats because I like the natural flavors of the veggies I use.
    Here are a few summer side ideas that are lighter than the average BBQ comfort foods:
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/in-season/scb-sides-00400000028195/

Good luck and happy grilling!!!
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Awesome guys, thanks for all of the ideas!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Before you try Beer Can Chicken go to amazingribs.com, see what he has to say about beer can chicken.... LOL
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options
    Before you try Beer Can Chicken go to amazingribs.com, see what he has to say about beer can chicken.... LOL

So youre saying I should just drink the beer? lol Whatever the picture on the homepage of this site is, I want to eat it until I pass out.
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    here's a link to skinnytaste memorial day recipes. http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Memorial Day Recipes

She has some really good suggestion but I would like to add either grilled pineapples or peaches..they are delicious!

Skinnytaste is just amazing! I have never been disappointed with any of her recipes!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Just for the record....BBQ season never ends. Ever. :)
    TRUTH! :drinker:

I grill everything - fish, beef, pork, chicken - and veggies! I've got a grill tray and a grill basket, like a square wok with small holes in it. I love chopping zucchini, mushrooms, red bell peppers, onions, or whatever I've got on hand, toss it with some olive oil & balsamic vinegar, some fresh or dried herbs, and then scoop it into the grill wok (don't dump all the liquid in - unless you like a big fire! :tongue: ). Toss in some cherry tomatoes near the end of cooking time.

Another fave is slicing sweet potatoes at an angle into round about 3/4 to an inch thick, brush 'em with a bit of oil and seasonings, and set them right on the grill. Awesome with burgers.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options
    here's a link to skinnytaste memorial day recipes. http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Memorial Day Recipes

She has some really good suggestion but I would like to add either grilled pineapples or peaches..they are delicious!

Skinnytaste is just amazing! I have never been disappointed with any of her recipes!

I've never even heard of this but I cant wait to get home and check it out :D
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Just for the record....BBQ season never ends. Ever. :)

AGREED!
  • arac62
    arac62 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    chicken sausage can be a lot healthier than pork or beef and it's SO GOOD. a bit pricey though.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Cedar Plank Orange Ginger Salmon

142tstg.jpg

Holy crap. YES!!! Recipe?? Please?? That looks amazing and we LOVE fish at our house!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think grilling is a healthy way to cook a lot of foods. Beef and lamb cooked with nothing but a thin coat of oil and salt. Brined chicken and pork that stays juicy. Quickly marinated shrimp skewers and fillets/whole fish. And of course burgers.
    Whenever I fire up the grill we always do a few batches vegetables. Corn grilled in the husk, whole blackedned peppers, portabello caps, asparagus, sliced summer squash and eggplant, and thick-cut onion rings or wedges. Most things get a simple marinade of oil, salt, pepper, garlic, herbs and maybe some vinegar. Whole garlic cloves can be wrapped in foil with a little oil and salt and cooked on a cool ege of the grill for about 45 minutes like oven roasted garlic (just keep flipping it or it will burn!) I also like to cut meduim-sized tomatoes in half and cook skin side down on a cool spot for a long time until they get really sweet and smokey and are almost falling apart. Grilled veggies can be cut up and tossed with small pasta/grains/beans for a healthy salad. I like to use the sliced vegetables for sandwiches. Chopped ones go into fritatas, cottage cheese, pasta, and lots of other dishes. I also make a great dip with grilled eggplant, peppers, onions, garlic and tomatoes blended with lots of spices.
    So many grilling possibilities!
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Options
    My family BBQs have always been frozen burgers, hot dogs and junk. Im so excited to try out all of this new stuff. I dont know if I can wait until the 26th lol