Daily Sugar Allowance

Options
Hi, I'm new here, and I have a question about the food tracker: Does anyone else have trouble staying within the daily sugar allowance? Today for breakfast I had a pancake (made only with 1 egg and 1 banana) and a little yogurt cup, and I'm already over my limit. Does anyone have any tips?

Replies

• BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS go over in sugar, but most of the time it's because of fruit, not refined sugars. Sounds like you are in the same boat. I personally, whether it's right or wrong, don't usually pay much attention to the sugar amounts when I know it's because of fruits.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I usually go over on my sugar as well, but it's mostly natural suagr. Just make sure you count all your added sugar and don't let those exceed 25-30g a day as a general rule.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Best way to ease your mind is to google respected websites Hospitals, USA Gov.Health etc. on health and what their views are on the reccomended amount of sugar in a daily diet
    Hi, I'm new here, and I have a question about the food tracker: Does anyone else have trouble staying within the daily sugar allowance? Today for breakfast I had a pancake (made only with 1 egg and 1 banana) and a little yogurt cup, and I'm already over my limit. Does anyone have any tips?
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Just watch out for the added sugars, not the naturally occurring kind like in fruit. I killed my sugar intake today with one pear, but a pear is far better than say, a piece of cake.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My name is Phyllis:

Yes, I was wondering the same thing, I always go over on my sugar.
    As long as it is natural sugar like fruits, there is no way to stay within the limit that I know of.
    I don't really pay much attention to the sugar.
    I pay closer attention to my calories and fat content and of course Sodium
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • lilmisslogical
    Options
    Considering today.... All I have eaten is fruit and veg, I am STILL over my sugar limit....

I'm guessing this app just assumes all sugar is the same
  • Kestrel45
    Kestrel45 Posts: 133
    Options
    Yes, I just joined a couple of days ago and I was concerned about that as well! Today I had one protein shake for breakfast and it already put me at over my daily sugar intake! I don't think we should worry too much about sugar, so long as most of it is natural from fruit and so long as we stay away from lots of fructose and sucrose and the like.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Considering today.... All I have eaten is fruit and veg, I am STILL over my sugar limit....

I'm guessing this app just assumes all sugar is the same
    It is all the same