Have your friends participation fallen off?

Options
I'm just curious ... two months ago it seemed like there was a lot more motivation and activity with folks on MFP. Is this just the way it goes? Does summer interfere with people staying connected? Are people quitting?

I'm just curious about your experiences here. Please tell me how many days (months, whatever) you've been on MFP too!

Replies

• nursebunny5
    nursebunny5 Posts: 14
    Options
    hi!! i have been on MFP for almost 3 months now and i have noticed ALL my friends have disappeared. i am still here and sticking with it. i need some kind of support and sounding board. i am sure that the warm weather is probably the reason for some of the drop off. i am not a big fan of hot weather so i know i'm not going anywhere this summer. if you want some support, you can add me! everyone needs some help!!!

good luck!!
  • kats26eyes
    kats26eyes Posts: 13
    Options
    Most of the friends I have had been pretty consistant. I can not go without logging in at least a few times a day. I really find it very helpful.

Feel free to add me if you would like. Have a great day!
  • boberrymom
    boberrymom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It may be that those people didn't develop the habit. I find that i feel guilty if i don't log in. Some don't use it beause they've reached a maintenance level and don't feel the need for it (my husband did this), some are hit and miss, everyone has different reasons. I find some of my friends are hit or miss but i think its mostly because its a very new thing for them.
    Celebrate in the fact that you are still going strong and doing it for you :)

We've come this far guys and gals, no sense in stopping now regardless of whether our friends are on or not right? Keep it going strong :)

Jess
  • taytaylynn3
    taytaylynn3 Posts: 601
    Options
    A lot of my friends seem to fall off. I have been on mfp for about a year an a half. Yes, once and a while i don't log on, but i do my best to be here so i can get and give some support.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think it's the same sorta deal where gyms are really busy January and Feb and then by March it's a ghost town again. A lot of people start logging on MFP with the best intentions but lose motivation or interest. But you know what? We're still here! BOOM!
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I for me (about 200 days on here) since it is summer I now go for walks in my gap time when the kids have PM kindergarden instead of sitting inside on the computer after the gym. I spend more time outside. I also have a vacation coming up so I am running around to get that organized too.
  • tdfarmer
    tdfarmer Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have been with MFP over 500 days logging, since I have missed a few days a couple of times. I know with my friends they have struggled with motivation, I have as well. I over did it with insanity workout and cannot vet back to anythung now. I'm on verge of giving up and feel I have one strong supporter. I think part may also be the cooler weather.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this since March 15th, and I log on almost every day. I don't usually log on here on Sundays, just because I know what I can eat to stay under my calorie goal, and I'm not usually on a computer on Sundays. But, I am holding strong, and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon.
  • NyteMirage
    NyteMirage Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm a little over 160 days. I've lost 38.6 pounds so far since 11/1/12. This isn't just a fad for me. I still have 33 more pounds to lose before I'm at my goal weight and I plan on sticking to it and making it an awesome lifestyle change! I already feel so much better! I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon. MFP is my savior! Along with my Fitbit One and Endomondo app! LOL!
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Nope. At least from what I can see most my friends here on MFP have very good habits with being active and logging on and most don't go that long without logging on.. my friends OUTSIDE this site... now THAT is a different story..
  • NyteMirage
    NyteMirage Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Nope. At least from what I can see most my friends here on MFP have very good habits with being active and logging on and most don't go that long without logging on.. my friends OUTSIDE this site... now THAT is a different story..

Yeah, it's a different story outside of MFP. Though I only have a handful of friends that are on here that are supportive. I usually go through and if you haven't been on in like 2 or 3 weeks I'll delete you. You're not any help to me at all just sitting there and not trying or not logging. I'm very supportive to the friends I have on here. And I like the same in return. That's all I ask.

I have to be careful who I hang out with outside of MFP because they seem to be the "enabler" in my life. It's like "well it's okay if I splurge this time because I'm out with 'so and so' ". That's not cool. I gotta be strong!
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm on every day. Those who've friended me through MFP are on all the time, my friends who joined who are my actual friends are pretty inconsistent (even my husband...)

I'm on a long plateau right now so the site is really helping me stay motivated. Keep getting ideas for changing things up to drop the last few pounds.
  • lotusspark
    lotusspark Posts: 367
    Options
    I would say about 20-25% seem as involved as they were but
    it looks like life might be keeping them busier and I hope
    outdoor activities. :) I do believe there was much more interest
    in late Dec/early January .. those resolution ppl might be getting
    less interested. I only have a few that might fit that profile on
    FL though.

I started in mid Nov. I've been on every day ever since. I think it
    is a huge reason I'm getting my goals. :D
  • boberrymom
    boberrymom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    For resolution people, they are realizing how hard it is to keep motivated and take weight off. It is not an easy task by any means. I hope as well people are outdoors getting healthy but really it doesn't take much to check in...i don't think anyways. I want my friends to keep me accountable, i want my friends to motivate me just as i try to motivate them.
  • colograndma
    colograndma Posts: 67
    Options
    Yes to some extent. For those who do not see immediate results.... where they should realize that it took some time to get out of shape and it will take a while to get back. That being said it makes it harder for us who want to continue on! We all need encouragers.

Those that need a cheer leader, friend me... I am sticking around!

Connie
    ~Colograndma~
  • tdfarmer
    tdfarmer Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    "I want my friends to keep me accountable, i want my friends to motivate me just as i try to motivate them. "

Totolly aggree!
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've got a few really good posters, a couple that have fallen off, but not too many. I'm on regularly, I leave it logged on at work so I can track myself through the day and to keep motivated for when I go home in the evening. Feel free to add me if you want! :smile:
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    i started my journey in may 2010. by december 2011 i had lost 192lbs. and then i started slacking.
    i was no longer in my hellish marriage and i was no longer single and "looking." both were major motivators to work out and eat right. i've been with my bf for a while and we tend to eat out and want to watch movies and there's not a ton of activity going on. so i put on 30lbs. i'm still trying. i work my butt off monday-thursday and then the weekend comes and it's not so great. so i'm trying to get a handle of that. i used to be on here all day every day when i first started. it got down to me just logging in for my counter. now i'm trying to be more active again. i need people to yell at me and help me get off my *kitten*. i was 28lbs from goal and as of now i'm 50lbs from goal. it pisses me off to no end so all i can say is, i'm here. i'm still trying.