What protein shake do you use?

Options
I am doing P90X (almost done with week 2). I am looking for a good protein shake for weight loss and lean muscle. What do you use?

Replies

• Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Protein shake is not for weight loss, it is a protein replacement for eating actual food. You don't have to use a protein shake, if you can meet your protein needs by eating something like chicken, eggs, lean beef, etc. Protein shakes are an easy way to get that protein though.

Taste will be personal preference. Here are some options I found the other day for a friend.

I've got 4 different ones, ranging in price from $15.98 to $26.98 for a 2lb container. If you take 1 scoop EVERY day these should last about 28-32 days. Flavors and taste will vary per person, I did find an overall Taste rating on Bodybuilder.com so I included that. The Body Fortress is the worst tasting, also the cheapest.

EAS is rated at 7.6 - 8 on taste for comparison. My trainer has me taking the Syntrax Matrix, it's what she has been using for years as a bodybuilder. I think they taste pretty good, the only one I didn't like is the Perfect Chocolate, but a lot of other people like that flavor. Syntrax Matrix is a whey concentrate with a blend of different types of protein, whey, casein, egg which absorbs fast, medium, and delayed. Optimum Nutrition is very well known and used by tons of bodybuilders, so you can't go wrong with it. It is a whey isolate. GASPARI NUTRITION MyoFusion is recommended by bodybuilders too, usually it's a cheaper price, but I found the Optimum Nutrition cheaper on that site. I think any of these will work for you.

Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder Vanilla 1.95 LB @ $15.98
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Fortress-2lb-Vanilla-Whey-Protein/10322404
    Protein: 30g / Calories: 170 / Carbs: 7 / Sugar 2g
    Taste Rating: 7.8 for Vanilla, 6.8 for Chocolate

SYNTRAX Matrix 2.0 Cookies and Cream 2.16 lbs @ $20.57
    http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/syntrax-matrix_20.htm
    Protein: 23g / Calories: 120 / Carbs: 3 / Sugar 2g
    Taste Rating: 9+ for any flavor, Cookies & Cream is tasty

OPTIMUM NUTRITION 100% Whey Protein - Gold Standard @ $24.99
    Banana Cream 2 lbs
    http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/optimum_nutrition-100_percent_whey_protein_gold_st.htm
    Protein: 24g / Calories: 120 / Carbs: 4 / Sugar 1g
    Taste Rating: Vanilla Ice Cream is lowest at 7.9, all others 8.2-9.1 (Milk Chocolate or Mocha)

GASPARI NUTRITION MyoFusion Elite Protein Series 2lbs @ $26.89
    http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/gaspari_nutrition-myofusion_elite_protein_series.htm
    Protein: 25g / Calories: 150 / Carbs: 5 / Sugar <1g
    Taste Rating: 9.1 for Strawberries & Cream, 8.6 Peanut Butter, 8.0 Vanilla, 7.7 Milk Chocolate
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use Premier Protein chocolate shakes. 30 grams of protein and great tasting. I buy them at Costco as they have the best price. $28 for a case of 18 in Canada. ~
  • mongolianfireoil
    Options
    NOW Whey Protein Isolate (*non-flavored). It's expensive but I dont get gas or have to run to the bathroom every hour off it. I supplement about 150 to 200 grams of protein a day. Costs 60 dollars for 5lbs from Amazon. Used to use EAS Sports and it was OK but can't find it anymore.

Mix them with milk or chocolate milk. Doing chocolate milk right now because I'm trying to bulk up.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Matrix - the dark chocolate truffle is really good. The Caribbean Cooler tastes like a pina colada. The Crystal Sky is good - more of a citrus flavor. The twisted cherry was good. I don't like the fuzzy navel at all.
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I use Allmax Hexapro Vanilla Milkshake. Blends awesome with fruit & also great just with water but I usually have it with unsweetened almond milk.
  • smp0723
    smp0723 Posts: 88
    Options
    I use Vemma Bode Chocolate Ice Cream-all natural and oh so yummy when I blend with my magic bullet & ice cubes.