Can I start expecting to see any weight loss?

Options
Sorce
Sorce Posts: 10 Member
About a month ago I started lifting with 20 mins of cardio for a warmup. I've been using MFP (probably not as well as I should be) and eating back the calories the fitbit gives me. Every time I weigh in on Monday morning the scale is the same. I know I'm making progress as I've lost over an inch and a half off my gut. I was expecting with the lifting the weight loss would be slower because I would be gaining muscle at the same time. I just wasn't expecting it to be 1:1, I'm just wondering if I'll get to a point where I start losing fat weight faster than I'm gaining muscle weight?

I'll keep using the measuring tape to keep from getting discouraged, I just figured at some point I have to start losing weight as well.

Replies

• goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Ive been there..really need to learn about input output and adaptation:) you see your body adapts very quickly..so u ned to vary your calories every day then the fat starts melting!!
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Take pictures and do side-by-sides. The weight on the scale may move slower because you may be replacing fat stores with muscle. Eventually the scale will move again. Just keep at it.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me as though you need to do more cardio than 20 minutes. I go for calories rather than minutes when it comes to cardio, but that's just my preference and what has worked for me over the last couple of months.

The basic rule is 3,500 calorie deficit, through diet and exercise = 1lbs. I use this rule when working out what to eat and how much exercise to do.

I should've done it a lot, lot, sooner, but I've just started weight training, so I'll do a little less cardio (typically 60-90 minutes in one session, 3-4 times a week), purely to fit both types of workouts around my schedule.

Use MFP to log EVERYTHING - Anything that goes in your mouth, and any minute of exercise, and you should have a good idea of where the calories are, or aren't going.

Good luck!!
  • Reeceybaby1988
    Options
    newb gains and water retention, give it another 4 weeks