Curious: why add friends?

Options

Replies

• Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons of having friends.

I deleted all of mine.

It seemed like all they did as complain or brag. I got tired of it. Everyone expects you to respond to them too. So, every time someone said that they ate something or exercised, they expected you to say "good job" or "awesome." It also seemed like they were always prowling to delete people on their list. So, if you were struggling, you were deleted, or, if you didn't respond to their posts, you were deleted.

I got tired of the above. If you need help, I recommend that you ask for friends. But, please beware that it's time consuming. I view my time on here as a personal journey. I don't want to meet anyone else's objectives, but mine. As, this is my journey, I don't need other people using a measuring stick, always seeing if they should delete me as a friend or keep me.

WOW! I am sorry you felt that way. I don't feel as if I have to comment to everyone. I also don't just look at people who I should delete. I see my friends as people who I can learn from. People who can help me when I am struggling. People who understand the journey. I am not here to make people like me. I like me just fine. But I am human and I know that if I have support and people I can turn to when I have questions. That will make this process even more valuable to me.

Good Luck on your journey and if you ever decide you want a friend. Add me
  • chineyLuv
    chineyLuv Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I’ve honestly found that, once I added friends on here, it made me WANT to log in every day. I wasn’t talking to myself lol. And it’s also encouraging to know that there are people that are going thru the same journey and everyone motivates each other.
    You can get some awesome advice from others by their experience in certain things.
    All in all, I would recommend it, but I also think that you should choose wisely who you want to add.

Good Luck!
    And if you feel like doing so, I'm always looking forward to having new MFP friends :bigsmile:
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mid1yft5B01qd5giho1_500.jpg

Love
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    oX_Vanessa_Xo Posts: 478
    Options
    This experience (I hate calling it a weight loss journey) would be pretty boring if I didn't have anyone to talk to about it.

I have a lot of over weight friends who aren't even thinking about losing weight . I get that sense of "I secretly hate you" whenever I talk to them about something weight loss related.
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    Also, for me it's embarrassing if people on my friends list see I haven't logged an exercise everyday, or I half assed logged in my food diary or haven't logged at all. So it's like I'm trying to impress them with all my hard work. I dunno... for me that's motivating.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Eye candy.

All my friends are GORGEOUS! :heart:
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

I deleted all of mine.

It seemed like all they did as complain or brag. I got tired of it. Everyone expects you to respond to them too. So, every time someone said that they ate something or exercised, they expected you to say "good job" or "awesome." It also seemed like they were always prowling to delete people on their list. So, if you were struggling, you were deleted, or, if you didn't respond to their posts, you were deleted.

I got tired of the above. If you need help, I recommend that you ask for friends. But, please beware that it's time consuming. I view my time on here as a personal journey. I don't want to meet anyone else's objectives, but mine. As, this is my journey, I don't need other people using a measuring stick, always seeing if they should delete me as a friend or keep me.
    I think you chose the wrong friends.

My friends have stuck with me through a deactivation, several mini-meltdowns and all my b!tching, whining and crying and struggling (and I struggle a lot) and not one of them has deleted me and I have given them pleanty of reasons to do so.

As for the bragging, isn't that the point? You have an NSV you share it, you lose weight you share it you do something amazing you share it - I consistantly share my accomplishments I do not see it as bragging I see it as a way of letting people know that I am making progress - even if the scale doesn't say I am.

No one expects you to comment daily on their food, or exercise - I think I have commented on food and exercise 3 times in my entire time on MFP since 2011.

I delete people who are not active and who don't speak to me, if I have made the effort to comment on your wall I do expect my friends to take the time and do the same thing - but that doesn't mean I expect them to respond to EVERYTHING I write thats just crazy talk. But if there is no interaction what-so-ever what is the point in adding me in the first place? to just have me sit in your friends list making it look pretty? Hell even I don't comment on everything.

Sorry you had a craptacular time when you added people to your list but honestly not everyone is a judgy judy...
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options

I deleted all of mine.

It's good to have someone else give you a pat on the back for a job well done but in all honesty, I SUCK at commenting on my friends achievements!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    for support
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    So that they can tell me how fantastic I am!!!!

Why else????
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    For the sex.

This guy knows what he's talking about.
  • Ladyinwaiting4
    Ladyinwaiting4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    this
    Moral support and motivation! I have recently only got some friends and there all great :)
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Creepily look over their pictures while you're alone in your bedroom.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I like being able to share my accomplishments (ok, so what if I'm bragging?), but I also know I'm accountable to my friends.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I was trying to decide if I wanted to "join" the community part of MFP by reaching out and making friends. This post has convinced me that I should. It would be a source of encouragement and information.

Thank you for starting this thread.

I have been debating it too, but I think it would be nice to have others to interact with since I'm unable to do it on the other food logging site that I use.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I have been debating also because browsing, sometimes this place seems like a dating weight loss boar?!?!. So, I wasn't sure what I was getting into. This thread is making me lean towards posting one of those add me threads..... I'm not quite there yet.

However some of you on here are spectacular and funny. Add me if you'd like?

<<baby steps>>
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Creepily look over their pictures while you're alone in your bedroom.

Looking? Is that what we are calling it now?
  • angiecunn
    angiecunn Posts: 1
    Options
    you can also share your diary with your friends, so in theory they help hold you accountable and can also encourage you along the way. I share with a few people and it's not like we are crazy and are mean to each other, it's just the knowing that someone else is looking makes you be a little more careful and responsible. Good Luck!
  • credessa
    credessa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's helped me to stick with it and keeps me accountable to "someone" other than myself....yes in the back of your mind you may question do these "friends" really care if I got in a burn today or I lost another pound...but since I'm alone in this journey and I don't get that type of support from my husband, I welcome friends and find the support more geniune because we are all on a similar journey.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

I deleted all of mine.

This is such a negative way to look at things... bragging... expecting you to reply... I think you may have got deleted for your negativity vs. your struggling.