Colorado!

Options
Okay, my hubby and I are going to take the the kids to Coloraddo on a family vacation in July. Our kids are 1,2,and 3. Can anyone give us some tips on where to go? My husband and I went to Colorado Springs a couple years ago it was so much fun. But now we have all three kids its going to be a little more difficult to do anything.

We really want an outdoor place to have fun. I was looking into Rocky Mountain National Park, anyone been here? I know its huge, where is the best place to go there? Or anywhere.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Jessica

Replies

• Plwarder
    Plwarder Posts: 30
    Options
    They YMCA at Estes Park is beautiful and very kid friendly. They have cabins you can rent and activities for all age levels. We have not been there in about 7 years but I would love to go again.

http://www.ymcarockies.org/home/what-we-offer/vacations
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    Denver Zoo .. I've never been there .. but I've heard it's beautiful!!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I love Colorado!!! Rocky Mtn Natl Park is really nice. My brother lives in Estes Park (the east entrance to the park) it's a cool little town, as is Grand Lake, on the other side. Pike's Peak is cool too - the kids'll love the cogwheel train ride up.

have fun!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Oops, double post :blushing:
  • Mom2Emery_Liam
    Options
    You might check out Estes Park, which is the main town/gateway into Rocky Mountain National Park. I know it gets extremely busy during the summer time so if crowds/traffic aren't your thing, I'd steer clear of it. The town of Grand Lake and Frisco/Dillon are on the other side of the park. I've researched that area a lot as a back up to our Florida trip (in case the oil was to hit). Dillon looked like a really cute town and had a cool playground for the kids. I suppose you could go swimming at the lakes there, although I'm sure they're pretty cold, even in July. Denver is about an hour and a half drive away from this area so you could go into the city for the day and visit the children's museum, parks, etc.
    VRBO is a good site to check out for rentals in the area. I find these are much cheaper than a hotel and rates should be inexpensive on the other side of RMNP.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Durango area. Durango, Silverton, Ouray, and Telluride are all beautiful places. We like to make Durango our hub - lots to do there - and then take day or overnight trips to the other smaller towns in the mountains. Ouray has this awesome hot springs pool. You can drive the Million Dollar Highway, or take the train from Durango to Silverton. Awww...I'm so jealous...I :heart: COLORADO!!!
  • Fiskmama
    Fiskmama Posts: 15
    Options
    As I Colorado native and current resident of Colorado Springs I would say coming back to Colorado Springs and going to Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, Rock Ledge Ranch and other tourist sites will be fun even with the 3 little ones. I grew up in Estes Park, the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park and it's also a great place to visit, especially if you want to hike and camp. There are plenty of fun places to visit there too. I would just set your expectations at not seeing everything or going everywhere and plan on one half day of activity per day so that the kids aren't too worn out and more work then they need to be. :) Enjoy!
  • xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    Options
    I just moved here from NY two months ago!! Believe it or not, we haven't been to RMNP yet but my boyfriend's sister has and she said it's great! Where are you staying? If you are going to be staying in the Colorado Springs area you might want to check out Garden of the Gods and/or Pike's Peak. Garden of the Gods is like a smaller version of Arches NP in Utah. It is a bunch of rock formations, really cool! We haven't done Pike's Peak yet but we have heard from everyone that it is awesome!

http://www.cograilway.com/

It is a cog rail train that brings you all the way up to the top of the mountain, so bring a jacket because even in the summer months there is snow up there!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I'd opt for the more laid back environment of Glenwood Springs.
  • xtina11179
    Options
    As I Colorado native and current resident of Colorado Springs I would say coming back to Colorado Springs and going to Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, Rock Ledge Ranch and other tourist sites will be fun even with the 3 little ones. I grew up in Estes Park, the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park and it's also a great place to visit, especially if you want to hike and camp. There are plenty of fun places to visit there too. I would just set your expectations at not seeing everything or going everywhere and plan on one half day of activity per day so that the kids aren't too worn out and more work then they need to be. :) Enjoy!

Oh, I forgot about Seven Falls!! Gorgeous there!! But....the stairs....whew!! LOL!

And also, if you are going to stay in the southern half, the Great Sand Dunes is AMAZING!!! We went there last year and although it was too cold when we were there, you can swim in the stream there!!

One more....Mesa Verde is really awesome! They are ancient Puebloan cliff dwellings. There is some walking involved there.

And for the record, I LOVE Estes Park. If you aren't aware, that is where the Stanley Hotel is, the hotel that inspired Stephen King to write The Shining. We went there last year as well, and did the Ghost Tour. Totally awesome!!
  • ClarkWGriswold
    Options
    Took the family to Estes Park last year and they loved it. Lots of easy trails and waterfalls to see in RMNP.
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    We came when my son was 2 and we live here now but we did the zoo and the Nature and Science Museum. You' ll get in LOTS of walking and the kids can run around and you don't need to worry much.

RMNP is great but don't go until you've been in the state at last 2 days. The altitude at 8K+ can play havoc on low landers. Head out Bear Lake Road to Sprague Lake and Bear Lake - you may need to take a shuttle because parking is difficult - but both have flat trails around the lake just right for little legs and places to picnic. Estes Park - you'll drive through it to get there - has a lot of fun shops and alot of festivals during the summer

Have fun!

Jessica
  • romero2006da
    romero2006da Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Come to where we live...The San Luis Valley (The Great Sand Dunes, Zapata Falls, Alligator Farm, Hooper Pool, Cumbres and Toltec Train rides, etc)
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    This is great! Keep it coming.

When we went 2 years ago we went to Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, went to Cripple creak did the little train ride there and did a gold mine tour, we went to Canyon City and went to the Royal Gorge, we did the Manitou Ruins, and Pikes Peak. They were all so much fun. Seven Falls and The Royal Gorge were my favorite. I am just scared that one of my kids will run off the mountain if we climb to high, especially at 7 falls. We want to camp. So maybe Estes Park sounds like a good place. Let me know some other places.
  • xtina11179
    Options
    This is great! Keep it coming.

When we went 2 years ago we went to Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, went to Cripple creak did the little train ride there and did a gold mine tour, we went to Canyon City and went to the Royal Gorge, we did the Manitou Ruins, and Pikes Peak. They were all so much fun. Seven Falls and The Royal Gorge were my favorite. I am just scared that one of my kids will run off the mountain if we climb to high, especially at 7 falls. We want to camp. So maybe Estes Park sounds like a good place. Let me know some other places.

We have also been considering camping at Mary in Estes Park.....this weekend in fact, but turns out my bf will have to work tomorrow night so we won't be. I'm not sure of the details except that it is a state campground.
  • alisonengland
    alisonengland Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    We live in Denver every Summer (and would live there all the time if the evil 'No Green Card for Brits' rule didn't exist! )
    If you are in or near Denver then Pirates Cove in Littleton is great, my kids adore it. www.piratescovecolorado.com
    Also Boulder is a lovely town where you can do some easy hiking if the kids are little. As someone else said Denver Zoo is great as is Washington park and the Museum of Science and Nature- if you are after some free fun then swimming in Cherry Creek by Centennial park is a great few hours for the kids and it is close to the Aquarium and Denver Childrens Museum.

And you have to take them to see the Rockies- you can get tickets in the Rockpile (the cheap seats!) for $10 for a family of four!

Can you tell I love Denver??!! I'll shut up now!!:happy:
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    Take them to the Royal Gorge, and also Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Those are the two places I remember most when we went there when I was 5.

Still remember watching city slickers in an old saloon theatre....

classic historical place..love it!
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    Take them to the Royal Gorge, and also Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Those are the two places I remember most when we went there when I was 5.

Still remember watching city slickers in an old saloon theatre....

classic historical place..love it!

I plan on the Royal Gorge but I am afraid that Jackson Hole is too far away.
  • laralee
    laralee Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Jessica,

There really is a lot to do in Colorado. My son (24 years old) is going to school in Denver and last summer my family went up to Estas Park. What a lovely place in the first part of August. We also went to Golden to the railroad train museum. My son (17 year old) loves trains to this day, a former Thomas the Train Fan.

laralee