Newbie looking for advice on limited time workouts

Options
Hi, I have over 100lbs to lose but have made a good start over the last 7 weeks following a calorie controlled diet along with swimming 3 times a week and treadmill twice a week means I've lost 21.5lbs so far. I am actually really enjoying the exercise and so the diet is pretty straightforward. I'm in this for the long haul and feel that I am suitably motivated and empowered to lose the weight I want to lose. However, with a full time job and family commitments I have limited time available to hit the gym/ pool so I'm looking at ideas as to how best use my time to get the best all round workout. I have my weights induction at the gym this week so want to incorporate lifting (been reading a lot about lifting heavy and its something I really fancy doing to build some strength & muscle definition).

Currently I go swimming (1km) 2 mornings before work (35mins- 40mins), and do treadmill 2 mornings (again around 35-40mins). Then on a Sunday I swim 2km (1hr 10mins). I have Saturday & Monday 'off' (partly recovery, partly due to other time commitments) I can't do more than 2 treadmill sessions a week as with the weight I'm carrying it hurts my knees. I'm looking to get fit and burn calories and am aware I need to get some strength training in.

I'd really appreciate any recommendations of what I should be doing in the time I have available to maximise results. Thanks :)

Replies

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    So, 4 days a week, 30-40 minutes per day? I'd usually say just leave one day for cardio and do a beginner program like Stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting three times a week, but if you get to swim twice a week I'm totally jealous.

Anyway, that's still a good option, but with the time crunch you might also try switching to doing a 10 minute warmup and then a 20-30 minute circuit-style full-body resistance workout 2 or 3 times a week. Especially if you have joint issues, it's a good idea to build up that joint/tendon strength before you jump right into a heavy lifting program - look at bodyweight circuit programs to build that base for your entire system. (Here's one, but it's not a bad idea to poke around the Internet and see what else you like: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/)
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing pretty well with cardio. If you have limited time, you could check out bodyrock.tv The workouts on there are all short (I believe they're all around 12 minutes, but I know they are under 20). There are also a bunch of free online videos that I posted before: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975583-free-full-length-workout-videos-online A lot of them are short, but if you have extra time, you could choose a longer one.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that with your treadmill workout you put it on at least a 5% incline. This will be easier on your knees as well as increasing your calorie burn. Once 5% is easy for you, continue to increase the incline. It really makes the treadmill more effective.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I should have said I've joined a gym and am using their pool/ cardio machines (and soon weight machines). I'll definitely check out the links :smile: Good tip on the treadmill, I do have it at 2% (suggested by the trainer when I had my gym induction) but will try increasing it.