So I've lost four lbs and stopped

Options
Hi,

I have been keeping track of my food diary since May 4th, with the exception of a few days without the use of a computer and having to leave my apartment (May12-16th) I ate pretty badly on those days. After my first eight days, I lost 4lbs. I haven't lost anything since. Thankfully I haven't gained either. It's been about 22 days total using mfp. Would anyone mind taking a look at my food and exercise diary and let me know what they think I can do better to continue losing weight? I'd love some specific tips.
I started the gym about two weeks ago (I use mainly the elliptical for 45 minutes almost everyday) and before that my exercise was walking home a mile and a half from work almost everyday. Thank you for any help! I appreciate it! Guess I thought I'd lose more by now. :)

Replies

• mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    sure, but you have it set to private...think you need to go to 'settings' and make it public so everyone can chime in.
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I would be happy to look at your diary. Just change the view on your account or add me as a friend.
    All kinds of things can slow progress! I'd love to help!
  • AnLucia
    AnLucia Posts: 15
    Options
    Oh, thank you! I'll fix it now. :)
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are eating enough food for all the exercise that you are doing.
  • mworld
    Options
    so right off the top, you got quite a few entries for exercise that are around the 1,000 calorie mark. That's what I think is the first place to start off...I think you want to make absolutely sure that those numbers are good estimates...if its off by 200-300 calories, that can easily slow your weight loss to a crawl.
  • AnLucia
    Options
    I've read a lot of blogs on here about not eating enough and I get the reason behind it, but it sure feels like I'm eating a ton. I am sure my metabolism was damaged from years of skipping meals and eating one big, bad one. It's huge lifestyle change to get three in with snacks now. But, thank you. That could be it. :)
  • AnLucia
    Options
    I should start getting my calories burned straight off the elliptical rather than the counter on mfp, I guess.
  • mworld
    Options
    i didn't say they were wrong! i just meant that its a big number and you want to really try and make sure you are comfortable with it being close enough to the reality for your body and intensity of the exercise - otherwise planning your diet around it will be pretty tough.

4 lbs in a month is really good! and let me tell you when you go for 'vacation' for a week, usually for me it can take 2 weeks before I start to see the scale move back downwards.
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    I agree, you need to get some good cals in! Protein....etc. Add a glass of milk, a yogurt.... fffffffff
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    I agree, you need to get some good cals in! Protein....etc. Add a glass of milk, a yogurt....
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    alot of times people may go through a slump after about 4 weeks of a new routine/regimen..the body is prob confused at the change and doesnt understand whats going on ...so it tries and cling to cals and what not similiar to starvation mode because it doesnt know if this is a healthy change or not...it just notices the caloric drop...id say give it a few more weeks and u'll prob start losing again once your body realizes you're doing something good for it
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Is that really the only water you drink? Water is so beneficial for your body it does help to flush out all the crap and keeps you hydrated for those exercises.
  • merebear
    merebear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you get your calories in and claories burned just right and you are still stuck, you could try a cleanse. I know that may seem disgusting for some people, but I am doing it for the second time now because I gotten to a place where I got stuck as well. It really helps. I use Acai Cleanse - about $10 at Walmart or any chain like that. Just a thought:wink:
  • AnLucia
    Options
    mworld, I didn't think you meant they were wrong. I've just worried about how accurate it really is also, without seeing the actual number at the gym.
    That isn't an accurate count for water. :) Water is all I ever drink. And green tea. I just don't document it.
    More protein is a good idea, though I think I have turkey almost every day.
    I've added metamucil powder for fiber and have that tea at home for cleanse...something with an S?
    My body could be confused. Also, I could just consider myself lucky I didn't gain during that one week.
    Thanks for all the insight. :) You guys rock.
    I'm starting couch to 5k, maybe I do just need more time. Bummer. I'm used to going on strict diets and losing ten in a week. Not healthy or lasting, but I miss how quick it was.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You are eating A LOT of Carbs. I would try to limit the bread more. Second, you are eating VERY LITTLE fiber. You need at least 25grams of fiber A DAY. Third, you should eat about 65-80 grams of protein A DAY.

Lastly, you are eating a lot of low fat things that contain a lot of sugar.

I would buy fat free greek yogurt instead of yoplait and I wouldn't eat bagels. Instead, try Arnold's Grain Lover's bread with that reduced fat cream cheese. Or only have 1/2 a sandwich with a greek yogurt. Another option is GG scandinavian bran crispbread, lots of fiber, 12 calories, and very filling!

Eat more lean protein and fiber and you should loose.
  • amillionmegs
    amillionmegs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    LITERALLY the exact same thing happened to me and then I put 3 lbs back on! gah!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    You might also want to watch your sugar....
    Just a thought.
    Steph
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I should start getting my calories burned straight off the elliptical rather than the counter on mfp, I guess.
    Buy a heart rate monitor if you can. I have the Polar FT7 and love it. It has taught me what exercises burn fat, which ones increase my fitness level and it gives me an accurate read on my calories burned. You can even wear it in the water. It keeps a running log of your last 30 work outs. In case you can't tell I LOVE IT!!! It keeps me motivated too, if I know I want to burn 400 calories, I won't stop until the calorie read is at 400!:tongue: It keeps me focused.
  • Thinwithin2010
    Thinwithin2010 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    When I looked at your days What hit me was alot of the foods you are eating can very well be high in salt. Sausage, coldcuts, processed foods.... Get rid of the protein as that is simple to figure out and add the ""sodium button and see what happens.. Yes alittle more protein wont hurt and you are over in the sugar a few times.. Try to think at each meal some protein, carbs and fats.. this will hold you over and make sure you are full longer.. Fiber and def drink your water.. You aren't to bad and I bet you will see a loss soon!! Keep it up, Dont give up
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Also, you may want to decide that while you are trying to loose weight, no treats (like strawberry shortcake, over 500 CALORIES!!!) are allowed in the house. That way you can limit yourself much better when it comes to the sweets. Just a suggestion.