Basketball or gym?

Options
Hi guys

There's one thing i haven't mentioned about myself. I used to be a basketballer who lost control over her weight and had to quit. That was like more than 3 years ago. Now i'm back and i lost over 60 lbs. only 14 is remaining. So i was thinking "why not start playing basketball again instead of going to the local gym?" I'll be back home in 9 days and i'm still undecided. So what do you think. Basketball or gym for weight loss?

Note that i usually exercise for 4 hours in the gym burning around 1200 or 1300 cals. Also in basketball we usually do 3 hours of fitness and skill training then 40 mins training match.

Replies

• Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Well, this is interesting. What do you like to do most? I would do what you enjoy best.

That said, I've been reading interviews with Mark Wahlberg recently, with his supplement line being introduced recently as well as his new movie Pain & Gain. He hates running. He plays basketball instead for his cardio. I would be playing basketball too but I have no courts near me. I don't know how this happens, unless the "richy folks" don't like the crowds that are attracted to basketball courts. The schools have them but they won't let you on school property, even after school hours. I own two basketballs...... no courts. I have however decided to get a net for my driveway.

So I must ask, is there a reason why you can't do both? I run and lift heavy. I don't mean 10 minutes of running either. I typically run 15-20 miles a week. (as well as boxing and jump rope) Why limit yourself?
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    4 hours in the gym? What on earth are you doing to be there that long?
  • DalalMutar
    DalalMutar Posts: 97
    Options
    Well, this is interesting. What do you like to do most? I would do what you enjoy best.

That said, I've been reading interviews with Mark Wahlberg recently, with his supplement line being introduced recently as well as his new movie Pain & Gain. He hates running. He plays basketball instead for his cardio. I would be playing basketball too but I have no courts near me. I don't know how this happens, unless the "richy folks" don't like the crowds that are attracted to basketball courts. The schools have them but they won't let you on school property, even after school hours. I own two basketballs...... no courts. I have however decided to get a net for my driveway.

So I must ask, is there a reason why you can't do both? I run and lift heavy. I don't mean 10 minutes of running either. I typically run 15-20 miles a week. (as well as boxing and jump rope) Why limit yourself?

Actually if i'm going to play basketball that would be in a basketball club where training is no less than 4 hours as well
    So after basketball i don't think i have room for the gym.
    Plus, my basketball club is north while the local gym is south from where i live so it would take a while driving.
    This is why i can't do both.
  • DalalMutar
    Options
    4 hours in the gym? What on earth are you doing to be there that long?

Lol. Well I jog and run for like 60-90 mins
    Use other machines for 30-45 mins each
    Lift some weights... Etc.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I've hooping as cardio, it's so much better since you have to think, run, shoot, sprint, and jump, it's more intense than doing the same motion over and over again...
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    woot! what up to a fellow former baller! i had dreams of playing in the WNBA back in the day - unfortunately not only did i only JUST make it past 5', i wasn't nearly as skilled as my dreams would have me be :ohwell:

i'd think basketball would be fantastic for weight loss. total HIIT. The stop and go up and down the court, all out sprinting, jumping, reaching, etc. if there were a b'ball club here (which i'm sure there is, i'm just too lazy to do research) i think i'd be tempted to venture out - 'specially if it fit in my schedule and all that jazz. i haven't picked up a ball and hit the courts in ages.

good luck to you! lemme know what you choose and how it worked out! :drinker:
  • DalalMutar
    Options
    Hi again guys ..

well I think you are helping me make up my mind. so far it's basketball.

michelle and gerard, I think you guys are right. basketball = different movements.

sometimes your body is so efficient doing the same movements over and over again yes?