Beginning to train with weights...

Options
So far, I'm using the various machines at the gym. From what I've read, it would be a good idea to eventually move to free weights, but I have a couple of concerns:
1. I'm not very strong yet.
2. I don't know what I'm doing
3. I'm scared to do it by myself.

How can I make the best use of the weight machines? How much should I be using before I try lifting?

I started at 306, and I'm currently right around 270. I've been walking, running, and doing Zumba for cardio.

Replies

• Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It's really situational as to what equipment you'll have at the gym. Different manufacturers equipment can be set up completely different. My gym for example has at least 4 brands of equipment and they're all different in some fashion. I would get with a personal trainer for an hour. It'll be worth the investment (because that's what it is, an investment in yourself). Tell them what you are looking to do and they'll work with you and set up a routine that you can follow.

1. You don't have to be strong for free weights.
    2. You need to know how to do free weights properly so you don't get hurt
    3. Start small and build confidence, ask someone for a spot if you are worried.

This is a very good website. Lots of information to be had on it. I've yet to see anything on there I find questionable. http://scoobysworkshop.com/

Aside from website (as some can really give you some baaaad information) start reading some magazines such as Muscle & Fitness 'Hers'. Every month you'll have a new magazine filled with information and articles that'll help your knowledge and confidence grow. You can check out the website for it as well since a lot of good information is posted on it.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    machines won't train you to be good at free weights. If anything, they can promote muscle imbalances which might even (at worst) be dangerous when siwtching to free weights.

Start light, increase every workout. Research form!
  • abbzpwn
    abbzpwn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You can never go wrong with switching to free weights, dear ;D like what the guys said. Go light first and practice your form. And read about form (Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is highly reccomended) if you're really uncertain. Get someone to spot you too :D
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Okay...folow up question.....

What about the strength class at the gym with weights? Is that a good introduction? (And a chance to perfect my form?) I tried one class with very low weights (5# on each side). We did squats, rows, clean and jerk, and a few others (remember I'm new to this!) while standing, and we did some laying on a step.

I would have an instructor to help me if my form is bad. I can increase the weight as I go.
  • blackstar420
    blackstar420 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have no fear of the free weights... Check out http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html. The program will give you listed exercises to do along with videos on how to perform the excerise properly. By the end of 12 weeks you'll be walking around the free weight area like you own the place...
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: bump