Substitutes for Tortilla Wraps!

Options
inktotree
inktotree Posts: 53 Member
So I've inspired my family to get healthier and my dad LOVES tortilla wraps with everything! We are looking for a lower-calorie alternative to a wrap (besides lettuce, which I like but he isn't a huge fan of). Most wraps that we've purchased clock in around 100 calories a piece (which feels like a waste since the "good" stuff is what's going in them)!

Any insight is much appreciated! :)

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    There are some high fiber 80 calorie tortillas out there, but that's about as low as they get.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If the contents are nutritious, I really wouldn't worry too much about the wrap itself.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how healthy or unhealthy your dad was eating before you inspired him to change his eating habits, but I'd say if a tortilla wrap is what it takes to get the good stuff (veggies, lean meats or whatever it is you're putting in them) in him, then stick with that for now. You could always switch from a white wrap to a whole grain or ancient grains wrap, a bit more nutritional density for the calories.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I'd just eat the tortilla or lettuce leaves.
  • bettermistakes87
    bettermistakes87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Mama Lupe low carb wraps are my favy. Low cal low carb and the closest to a real tortilla in texture and flavor as I've found. I order them from netrition.com
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a good, whole grain, high fiber 100 calorie tortilla. If you make the filling mostly about the veggies, you can easily do a wrap for 300-400 calories. I prefer pita pockets but they are also 100 calories but I load them up with hummus, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach or beet greens, grated carrots and an ultra thin slice of cheese for about 250-275 calories total. If you use turkey breast instead of hummus, you might add a few calories, but not much if you keep it to 2-3 oz. You can even add a couple of slices of avocado and still stay under 400 calories.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You can google or search on Pinterest for cauliflower wraps if you want to go that route, or you can try your hand at making your own flour tortillas. To make them healthier you can use whole wheat or white wheat flour, and use coconut oil in place of the shortening /lard. They are tastier to me than store bought, and they really don't take long at all to make. They are also freezable in case you want to make a lot at one time.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Flatout flatbread light-90 cals (and you will only need one.

if you are using flour tortillas-you can definitely find ones that are lower cal-2 tortillas should be around 130 cals
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I've also used whole wheat or multigrain pita pockets.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    So I've inspired my family to get healthier and my dad LOVES tortilla wraps with everything! We are looking for a lower-calorie alternative to a wrap (besides lettuce, which I like but he isn't a huge fan of). Most wraps that we've purchased clock in around 100 calories a piece (which feels like a waste since the "good" stuff is what's going in them)!

Any insight is much appreciated! :)

Have you checked out corn tortillas ? They are not only much healthier than flour tortillas, but usually are fat free and at least here in Mexico have 55cal as compared to 110-115cals for a flour tortilla. I have in the past also used Vietnamese rice wrappers ( the ones used for fresh egg rolls or Lumpia ), they are low in calories, but not to everyone's taste.
  • hauntao
    hauntao Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've also used whole wheat or multigrain pita pockets.

Pita pockets! Love them.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    the lowest I've seen is 75cals, and they were very, very thin, they were low carb. 100cal is very good, and yeh just put healthy stuff in there.

although there is one thats really really low cal....

brawny.jpg

mmmmm.... taste the forest!
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I like the "La Tortilla Factory" high fiber, high protein wraps. (80 cals)
    Honestly, though, cabbage leaves totally work for me. Yum!
  • Retrieverlove
    Options
    Trader Joes has a low calorie, low carb one with extra fiber that tastes better than normal flour ones. It is only 45 calories per tortilla.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm in on the vote for a whole wheat pita. I started eating them, because they were 20 calories lighter than most of the breads I'd want to use. I find most bread products to be about 100 cals. So, I feel it's not so much the bread as the what you put on it or in it in your case. So, I'd say find a healthy wrap, but don't worry about it's calories. Fill with yummy healthy food.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Pure wraps:

http://www.thepurewraps.com/

Have yet to try them myself, but this is where I'm headed.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I use a fork...skip the tortilla
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Is it just iceberg lettuce he doesn't like? If he doesn't hate all lettuce, you might try romaine, butter leaf, red leaf, or another variety. Or even Napa cabbage leaves (cooked or raw).
  • anitasongs
    anitasongs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    MAKE YOUR OWN, ITS SO EASY AND YOU CAN USE WHOLE WHEAT OR CHICK PEA FLOUR WITH THE CORN...LESS CAL AND LESS FAT AND LOWER CARB, EVEN COCONUT FLOUR...
    jUST ADD CORN FLOUR TO GIVE IT THE MEXICAN TASTE.. SO EASY

Gluten Free Coconut Flour Tortillas
    By TheHealthyAdvocate on June 01, 2011
    0 Reviews timer Prep Time: 2 mins Total Time: 6 mins Serves: 3,
    Yield: 3 5-6
    "The coconut flour tortillas are gluten free, grain free and low in carbohydrates. They are great to use in enchilada recipes or as a sandwich wrap. These will not have the same texture as wheat flour tortillas, however they are a great substitute every now and then when on a gluten free diet."
    Ingredients

1/4 cup egg white
    2 tablespoons water or 2 tablespoons coconut milk
    1 tablespoon coconut flour
    1/16 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon coconut oil, for frying

Directions
    Pour egg whites and water into a medium bowl.
    Sift coconut flour and salt into the egg white mixture.

Heat a frying pan and melt 1 teaspoons of butter or oil to grease the bottom of pan.
    Slowly pour 2-3 tablespoons of the coconut flour mixture onto the pan and quickly (and carefully) spread the batter around into a larger, thin circle by turning the pan.
    Fry for about 1-2 minutes on the first side, or until the edges start to lift and you can easily move your spatula underneath the cooking tortilla without it breaking. Flip and cook on the other side.
    Serve.

Page 2 of 2Gluten Free Coconut Flour Tortillas (cont.)
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 1 (31 g)

Servings Per Recipe: 3

Amount Per Serving % Daily ValueCalories 21.7 Calories from Fat 11 53% Amount Per Serving % Daily ValueTotal Fat 1.3g 2% Saturated Fat 0.8g 4% Cholesterol 3.3mg 1% Sugars 0.1 g Sodium 93.1mg 3% Total Carbohydrate 0.1g 0% Dietary Fiber 0.0g 0% Sugars 0.1 g 0% Protein 2.2g 4%
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    I have personally never tried this but I saw someone before suggest using sliced jicama. It might be a little smaller than a tortilla but you could use more slices.