Eat Water Slim rice

Options
Boogage
Boogage Posts: 739 Member
So I have had this packet of odd looking stuff in the cupboard for a few weeks now called Eat Water Slim Rice.

Trouble is, I'm a real believer in eating real food but it was a bit of an impulse buy that I thought might be good if I didn't have too many calories left for dinner one day. That day came and I just couldn't bring myself to try the slimey looking stuff lol.

Is it actually any good or should I just find someone to off load it onto? :)

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So I have had this packet of odd looking stuff in the cupboard for a few weeks now called Eat Water Slim Rice.

Trouble is, I'm a real believer in eating real food but it was a bit of an impulse buy that I thought might be good if I didn't have too many calories left for dinner one day. That day came and I just couldn't bring myself to try the slimey looking stuff lol.

Is it actually any good or should I just find someone to off load it onto? :)
    It IS real food. It's just not one you typically eat. :smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konjac
  • Boogage
    Options
    But have you tried it though? Is it ok?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    It's great. Boil it up for about 5-10 mins like you would pasta to make it less rubbery. I eat it all the time.

Oh an make sure you rinse it before boiling it. The stuff it's in does not smell or taste nice.

Real food. :laugh:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    But have you tried it though? Is it ok?
    I've tried miracle noodles. Same food.

It's fine. I like it with some stuff. The texture isn't right for italian noodle dishes, but is fine for some asian dishes (like pho).
  • Boogage
    Options
    Ok I will hold my nose and be very very brave lol. I have some very garlic-y tarka dal in the freezer so that might help mask any dodgy smells
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Ok I will hold my nose and be very very brave lol. I have some very garlic-y tarka dal in the freezer so that might help mask any dodgy smells

Rinse it for about 10 seconds under water & the smell goes. You don't need to worry about it after that
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    That should work. I cook mine in broth or bouillon before I do anything with them.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Konjac products don't have any real taste of their own, and the "seaweed at low tide" odor comes from the lime water they're stored in. Rinse the heck out of it then use it. I enjoy using the noodles in whatever soup I'm having.
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    is this the stuff made from the fibers of a plant that just passes through the body.
  • Boogage
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I guess it will just take a bit of experimentation to work out what I feel its good for then.

Yes it seems to be from a plant. I just found this online:

Regular boiled rice contains 64 per cent water. Slim Rice, which comes already cooked, is made up of 97 per cent water and the Asian root konjac.
    Some nutritionists claim that vegetable extract konjac – also known as Moyu – can stabilise blood-sugar levels and prevent hunger pangs and over-eating.
    The unusual product smells strongly of starch and needs to be rinsed at least twice under warm water to remove its distinctive odour.
    Advocates claim the rice, which is chewier than normal varieties, tricks your brain into thinking you have eaten a full meal.
    One portion can create the sensation of being full for up to four hours.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2279460/Is-ultimate-diet-carb-The-rice-just-8-calories-bowl.html#ixzz2TDWolS1t
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The only real down side seems to be the price
  • Sqauterina11
    Sqauterina11 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    love it!
    its expensive tho.......
    :flowerforyou:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    love it!
    its expensive tho.......
    :flowerforyou:

It's not where I am. Changes low-cal noodles are exactly the same & just over $2 a packet. Slim rice/pasta is only just over $3 a packet. Hardly expensive if I can afford it on no income.

I guess it depends on where you are though.
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i tried this for the first time last night...mixed it with my quorn mince chilli....all was going well (despite it looking like tapeworm segments!)....i pushed that thought to the back of the mind!
    finished my chilli and thought how nice it had been as i couldnt taste the "rice"........then i noticed i had something stuck in between my teeth...it was a bit of the "rice!"...well, when i moved it with my tongue i just had the negative thought about tapeworms come flooding back, and when i bit into this thing...it had the rubbery consistency of what i expect a tapeworm to have.....and i promptly vomited up my whole dinner!...i am not sure i can stomach eating it again now!:laugh:
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options
    I tried the noodle version, the brand was called Zero Noodles, and personally I did not like them at all. Too chewy and rubbery, I couldn't eat them.
  • divasaint2013
    divasaint2013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not sure that's how they're meant to help you lose weight, but if it works for you :D
  • divasaint2013
    divasaint2013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i tried this for the first time last night...mixed it with my quorn mince chilli....all was going well (despite it looking like tapeworm segments!)....i pushed that thought to the back of the mind!
    finished my chilli and thought how nice it had been as i couldnt taste the "rice"........then i noticed i had something stuck in between my teeth...it was a bit of the "rice!"...well, when i moved it with my tongue i just had the negative thought about tapeworms come flooding back, and when i bit into this thing...it had the rubbery consistency of what i expect a tapeworm to have.....and i promptly vomited up my whole dinner!...i am not sure i can stomach eating it again now!:laugh: