4. Keep a reasonable margin of negative calories
    5. Expect set-backs
    6. Don't ever stop!!!!!!!!!!!!
    7. Provide support to others and you'll see it in return
    8. Did I mention Don't Stop?

Don't listen to this^^^ Also, three rules
    1. Dont ever quit
    2. Dont forget rule # 1
    3. Don't cut out foods you love because you'll wind up craving them more and possibly set yourself up for binging

Good luck to you Mark!! Look forward to following your journey!

fixed
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I started at 344 and am now 217. It can be done. I started out for the first month just watching what I ate. Then I added in exercise... Cardio and lifting; at first my emphasis was cardio but now it is more lifting. Several years ago, I had gotten down to 170 lbs and wore a medium shirt and size 34 pants... Now at 217, I wear a large shirt (because of my chest/shoulders) and wear a loose fit size 32 pants.. It is about finding balance. Yes, balance is definitely key and slow but sure is the route to go... You have already made a good start dropping 15 lbs... This rate will not continue BUT you will find that, if you stick with it, you will drop relatively fast to start out... Then it will slow down. This is normal. Just keep at it and do it for YOU.. but you are right... there is a little guy coming along that needs a daddy there to play ball with ... and just be there for him. You are on the right track; welcome aboard.
  • ameslee
    ameslee Posts: 1
    Options
    Best of luck!!!!! I am trying to lose 70 myself.
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi, like the subject title says my name is Mark. I'm 31 years old and own a furnace and air conditioning business. Anyways I started my "fitness journey" to get in better shape. I'm having my first child (a baby boy) in August so I want to get in as good of shape as possible so I can keep up with the little guy and be around to see him grow up.

I'm 388 lbs. as of this morning down from 403 from 2 weeks ago. My goal is to basically drop 200 lbs. It's going to take a good long while but I'll get there slowly and steadily.

My basic plan is to stay under 2000 calories a day, eating clean foods (no soda, candy, etc..)

My exercise plan hasn't been made yet and I only plan to start by walking for 30 minutes twice a day. Once I've dropped more weight I'll increase the workouts and once my new shop is finished being built (around 2 weeks) I'll have a gym with a power rack, bench, and all the goodies to start lifting weights again (I used to be a power lifter and competed in strongman competitions)

My progress blog will be updated every Sunday morning. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/markklow
    My food diary will be kept up to date as well. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/markklow

So yah hi from me, I hope to become a weight loss / fitness buddy to a bunch of you and I'm sure I'll be motivated by everyone's progress.

You've come to the right place! MFP is amazing, with so many lovely, supportive people. I'll send you a friend request and if you want to be MFP friends that'd be great. I've been here about a month and I love this site and my amazing MFP friends. All the best! :)
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    congats & welcome, anyone is welcome to add me as a friend. great attitude & great inspiration.
    you'll notice we're kind of an interactive bunch. give a shout out on the bad days & a bigger shout out on the victories
    best wishes to you & all newbies.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Mark, what an encouraging thread you started! Sounds like you know what you're doing and you've got this! Congratulations on the new member of your family:)
  • Michelle2W
    Michelle2W Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! You can do it!!!!
  • bigbear167
    bigbear167 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    mark,sounds like you got the plan.just stick to it and you'll get there.
  • cathybabe70
    cathybabe70 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Welcome Mark! I truly admire you for the goals you have set for yourself. You sound very determined and positive...honestly, I have no doubt in my mind that you'll lose this weight and we'll all be reading your success story one day. I wish you all the best and would love to support you on this journey so I will friend you. Congrats on the baby, by the way! :drinker:
  • bearcrusher
    bearcrusher Posts: 90
    Options
    Wow... just wow, talk about a supportive bunch. Thank you all so much for the kind words. I was on my walk and saw the 50 or responses on my phone and couldn't believe it. I've never been welcomed into a community like that before and man I'm pumped to get in shape with all of you.

Thanks you guys made my day.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Suggestions only!

Portion control.
    Chew every bite until it is mushy
    6 meals a day: divided your calories between your 6 meals
    100 calorie snacks
    Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
    Don't eat after 6pm.
    Don't eat and watch Tv, or read or visit with friends while eating.
    Concentrate on what you eat and how much you eat.
    Plan your meals ahead of time.
    Always have your snack food prepared in the refridgerator.
    Get rid of food items that you have that are wasted calories.
    No soda, juices, sugar, candy, flour, pastas or potatoes. Sweet potatoes fine.
    No fried foods. No processed foods.
    Whole grains only.
    Low Fat dairy products.
    Stay away from caffeine.
    Fruits, vegetables, salads with low fat dressing, 4 oz portions of lean beef.
    Chicken, fish, turkey, sea food, baked, broiled, grilled, poached.

Pam-lost 38 # so far.
    Good luck!!

Don't do this lol

The worst thing you can do is eliminate things from your diet, you will crave it and over eat it when you get the chance, it isn't a diet...It's a lifestyle change. I lost 91lbs in 1 year and I didn't eliminate any foods from my diet, most of my friends on here are the same.

Another thing is to add like minded people as friends because it will keep you coming back to say hello and banter, if you're logging in everyday to say hi...you might as well log!

^^this...don't eliminate any foods. If there are foods you enjoy then make them fit into your calories and or macros. It will help you stay committed and happy! Good luck! You seem to have a great perspective and plan!!
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I love it, and what better reason to lose weight and get fit that the desire to be around for your baby! Here to support you any way I can!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to following your progress. I'm inspired already by your passion and determination to get healthy. Having a new baby is great motivation to get healthy so you can run and play and have fun. I'll send a friend request. I have 80 lbs. to go so I'll be in this for awhile, too.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Wow, good for you for taking this step to get healthy for yourself and you new baby!

Keep and it and you will see results, don't give up, and good luck!
  • cathybabe70
    cathybabe70 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Suggestions only!

Portion control.
    Chew every bite until it is mushy
    6 meals a day: divided your calories between your 6 meals
    100 calorie snacks
    Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
    Don't eat after 6pm.
    Don't eat and watch Tv, or read or visit with friends while eating.
    Concentrate on what you eat and how much you eat.
    Plan your meals ahead of time.
    Always have your snack food prepared in the refridgerator.
    Get rid of food items that you have that are wasted calories.
    No soda, juices, sugar, candy, flour, pastas or potatoes. Sweet potatoes fine.
    No fried foods. No processed foods.
    Whole grains only.
    Low Fat dairy products.
    Stay away from caffeine.
    Fruits, vegetables, salads with low fat dressing, 4 oz portions of lean beef.
    Chicken, fish, turkey, sea food, baked, broiled, grilled, poached.

Pam-lost 38 # so far.
    Good luck!!

Don't do this lol

The worst thing you can do is eliminate things from your diet, you will crave it and over eat it when you get the chance, it isn't a diet...It's a lifestyle change. I lost 91lbs in 1 year and I didn't eliminate any foods from my diet, most of my friends on here are the same.

Another thing is to add like minded people as friends because it will keep you coming back to say hello and banter, if you're logging in everyday to say hi...you might as well log!

^^this...don't eliminate any foods. If there are foods you enjoy then make them fit into your calories and or macros. It will help you stay committed and happy! Good luck! You seem to have a great perspective and plan!!

Don't eliminate the things you like neccessarily...but DO try to replace some things with healthier lower calorie alternatives whenever possible.