Need some advice!!!

Options
Ok so here's the deal - I see people posting topics that they are not losing weight and only inches. And the general answer is always (or almost always) that they don't eat enough.

I eat 1700 calories per day and workout 4 to 5 times a week, I do a few 30 min cardio sessions in the week, some weight training and pilates and I haven't seen the scale budge in weeks. Yes I have lost inches. But I feel like I am eating enough and should see more results (I remember the weight melting off me when I did weight watchers a few years ago). Any advice?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you're logging calories inaccurately? I know a lot of people on here use food scales to make sure that they are getting the right amounts, and are really surprised how off they are whenever they first start.
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm losing inches and not so many pounds. When you workout, you build muscle which will in the end weigh more than fat but take up less space. That's my answer to the losing inches but not pounds
  • boberrymom
    boberrymom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Do you always do the same exercises? If so your body may be used to it and hit a plateau in the exercise department. If you are still losing inches, i would not even bother with the scale. The scale isn't always an indication of any weight loss. We as women retain water during pms time, muscle also weighs more. Measurements are way better indicator. Hope this helps.
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    How about water? Are you drinking enough?
  • trekkietaz
    trekkietaz Posts: 81
    Options
    I think you are toning your body so you may not lost pounds instead you may loose inches for awhile and then you might start to loose pounds
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The scale is good for people who compete in weight class sports. Use the mirror, tape measure, and progress photos to show your progress. Muscle is more dense than fat so 5 lbs of fat will take up alot more room than 5 lbs of muscle.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I know I shouldn't focus on the scale as a measure of success, but I can't help it sometimes! I do drink plenty of water, and measure everything I eat (except for the odd time I eat out, and then I give my best estimate). I hope the weight will start coming off soon.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My weight tends to be sticky then whooshy. When I look back a month I've lost 4 pounds, but that was in the first two weeks and for the last two weeks I've been bouncing around the same number even though I logged a pity 0.5 loss one day when it was on the bottom end of the bounciness. None of the standard "here's what you are doing wrong" apply in my case as far as I can tell, so I am going to give it another 2 weeks and then try something different if still no loss.

I do think the scale is important as a measure of success, because I am still in the obese range and eventually I need to get my weight into the healthy range. I'm not doing anything crazy just to see the scale move, but I know the weight I am at is not healthy and seeing it decrease is part of the process for me (increasing the nutrition of my food and increasing strength/flexibility/endurance are additional goals).
  • singlefemalelawyer
    Options
    Thanks for your advice guys. I hope I can start losing again soon.
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    How long since you upped to 1700? I upped to 1700 (closer to tdee-20) too about 2.5 weeks ago and ive only just started seeing weight coming off after going up and then staying static up until yesterday, not sure if its gunna keep going down but I hope so. If you think you're doing everything else right then maybe just give yourself some time..
  • singlefemalelawyer
    Options
    I've started with 1700 since I starting logging here - so over a month ago now. As much as I would like to lose 2 lbs per week and go for 1200 calories per day, it just seems like too little to eat for me. I have started weight training twice a week since losing a few pounds initially, but am stuck now for a few weeks. Trying to drink as much water as I can and hoping for the best. It just gets frustrating sometimes seeing everyone else lose lbs quickly.