Strength training with dumbbells...tell me it can work

Options
Hey everyone. So I just recerntly added more strength training into my workout. Before, I was focusing mainly on cardio. The only strength training I was really doing was what was involved with my Jillian Michaels DVDs that I was doing 3x a week. I was also running 3x a week and taking 1 day off.

3 weeks ago, after seeing so much on here about how important strength training is, I decided to look into doing more of it. I don't have access to a gym (for cost/time reasons; and I just don't prefer a gym setting). Someone on here posted a dumbbell routine that can be done at home. So I bought a weightbench (just the bench). I already had 5 & 8lb weights, but I also bought a pair of 10's. I am using the both 8 & 10 lb weights (depending on the exercise) for the dumbbell routines. The routine came with a 3 day a week plan. So I am doing that 3x a week and running 3x a week.

I see alot of people on here saying it's good to lift heavy. Without a gym, that will be more difficult for me although I know I can increase the weights, which eventually I will do as I become stronger. So I was hoping that people who have had success with a dumbbell routine at home would be able to chime in and give me some motivation that it will eventually do something. I know it's only been 3 weeks and I am not expecting to already see huge results or anything...I just want to see that light at the end of the long tunnel that what I am doing will eventually pay off...I really want the belly pooch and excess skin in areas to tighten up. Thanks for listening! :smile:

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i am interested in others opinions too. I also started a month ago adding in weights, as i only did 30ds or rin30 before as well. I started chalean extreme a month ago to lose some body fat and lose that dreaded lower belly pooch too... i just took my 30 day pic and i see subtle changes, nothing to write home about though, so i hope by the time i finish month 2 i will see some great results.... i can't afford a gym either as i also live out of town and don't have one near/...
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    <
    Dumbbell workout results. :smile:

I would love to lift heavy with the big barbells, but I don't have money or space for the stuff at home or for gym membership right now. So I do the best I can with what I've got - 8-12 and one 20lb dumbbells. (I use Nike Training Club for workouts - free app)

I always use the heaviest weight I can handle for each move, but I've gotten to the point that I need bigger dumbbells for some things! I've made some great progress and love the results I've gotten so far, and wonder what I could do if I did have access to the really big stuff! Hopefully one of these days. I would love to get a pair of 15's and another 20 so I'd have a set of those - found the single at a thrift store super cheap - score! I use it for single arm moves when I can. I'd love a set of the adjustable dumbbells, but those aren't cheap either.

But yeah - it can work! We may not get the same results as we would with the real heavy lifting, but it's better than no lifting at all.
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    All my early results are from DBS. You would be surprised the kind of results you can get. Eventually you will need to work in compound moves but if your new to lifting and have limited equipment and space DBS will work just fine
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    with 10lbs as the tops, there is no dumbell routine that you could really do. Thats far too light for strength training.

you're better off looking at progressive bodyweight training.

For strength training to be effective, it has to be maximal load type movements. where you hit muscle failure in about 5 reps.
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    yes. It really helps tone the areas you are finding as you lose weight: Arms, legs. Dub bells or resistance bands will work. Yu do NOT have to do major weights and strength training if you do not or can not. Any is better than none and more reps will come. You go!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    People who cannot do major heavy weight lifting are not supposed to just don't do anything. I got myself together doing Jari Love. I started of with one pound dumbells I was so weak, I was so weak I had to do them in a chair. In about 3 months I got compliments on my arms. I went up to 3 pounds, as I was stronger, and I was able to stand. My upper body started looking different. wow. Now I'm trying to do some teeny tiny squats, and I will be getting 5 pound bells this weekend. One of these days I will be able to do something else. Congrats on what you are doing, you are awesome, and I'm sure you will be able to be even more awesome, doing your own thing for your fitness.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I've taken a break from dumbbells to follow Insanity at home, but when I was using them at the gym, I would use 5, 7.5, 10, and 15 lb weights, which were sufficient for my current strength level. For some moves, I would double up the weights, holding a 5 and a 7.5 together in each hand for 12.5. Or, if I couldn't find a free 15 pounder during crowded gym days, I would double up two 7.5s, etc.

I'd say you can make good starting progress with what you have, and then add from there as needed. Good luck!
  • lcrosby31
    lcrosby31 Posts: 4
    Options
    How does anyone feel about free weights vs. machines.

I'm in the process of moving between jobs. I'm at my parents for the next week and a half, and go to Planet Fitness as her "bring a buddy." We'll do 15-20 minutes of warm up cardio, and then spend maybe 30-45 minutes lifting on the machines. The first time I joined there, I went for the machines because they were pretty easy to figure out, and the free weights kind of scared me with not knowing what to do/how to do it.

I'm also trying to figure out if I want to pay for a Planet Fitness membership when I move and get settled (I do like the atmosphere there) and continue my machine routine, or pick up some free weights and try to learn at home.

Thanks for any input!
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of people that do dumbbells only...and they achieve great physiques. The situation you are in, is the situation you are in. It's not going to "destroy" your efforts by any stretch of the imagination.

There are plenty of dumbbell routines that will work. The problem you will discover however, is that if you are trying to strength train, you'll quickly "out gain" the dumbbells you are using, and need to get heavier ones....if you are really going progressive on your weights.

You could get a set of adjustables, but the money you'll pay for those would probably be "close" to what you could get a set of barbell weights for.

You can do compound activites with dumbbells however...there are variations to: Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, OHP (Shoulder Press), Rows, etc.. that utilize dumbbells instead of barbells.
  • tomii13
    tomii13 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. So I just recerntly added more strength training into my workout. Before, I was focusing mainly on cardio. The only strength training I was really doing was what was involved with my Jillian Michaels DVDs that I was doing 3x a week. I was also running 3x a week and taking 1 day off.

3 weeks ago, after seeing so much on here about how important strength training is, I decided to look into doing more of it. I don't have access to a gym (for cost/time reasons; and I just don't prefer a gym setting). Someone on here posted a dumbbell routine that can be done at home. So I bought a weightbench (just the bench). I already had 5 & 8lb weights, but I also bought a pair of 10's. I am using the both 8 & 10 lb weights (depending on the exercise) for the dumbbell routines. The routine came with a 3 day a week plan. So I am doing that 3x a week and running 3x a week.

I see alot of people on here saying it's good to lift heavy. Without a gym, that will be more difficult for me although I know I can increase the weights, which eventually I will do as I become stronger. So I was hoping that people who have had success with a dumbbell routine at home would be able to chime in and give me some motivation that it will eventually do something. I know it's only been 3 weeks and I am not expecting to already see huge results or anything...I just want to see that light at the end of the long tunnel that what I am doing will eventually pay off...I really want the belly pooch and excess skin in areas to tighten up. Thanks for listening! :smile:

OP, can you tell me what workout routine you're speaking of? We are in the same boat. I have acess to the gym, I'm just not ready for it, and to be honest, I don't prefer it. So I would LOVE to see that at home workout routine you're speaking of. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I've gotten my results from dumbbells.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    dumb bells are good if you're contract the right muscle group and not just snapping up your shoulders and joints.