Running faster?

Options
I need to start working harder on upping my running pace..this 4.5 mph jog isn't going to cut it for my half marathon on September 1st. Does anyone have any tips on how to run faster without feeling like you are dying?

I am currently able to jog at 4.5 mph on the treadmill for 5 minutes/walk 2 minute intervals but I am working on being able to run longer too

Replies

• idontknowkinda
    Options
    Work on distance/duration first, speed will come with time.
  • Dgold13
    Dgold13 Posts: 14
    Options
    How long have you been running? How often do you run?
    Most half marathon plans will have some speed work built in.
  • roxy08fox
    roxy08fox Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Interval speed training is what works for me. Example: 2 min 4.3, 2 min 4.8, 2 min 5.3, 2 min 3.5 walk, repeat. As you get more comfortable, increase your speed but keep all your running speeds .5mph apart. The beginning of this year, 5mph was the fastest I could go and maybe 2 miles. I'm at 5 miles and Ill run 3 miles at 6.2, 6.3, 6.4 then speed train my last two miles at 2 min intervals of 6.0, 6.5, 7.0, repeat. Good luck! :smile:
  • tlm0403
    tlm0403 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with idontknnowkind. I have only been running for about 2 years, but speed came later on. I have done 2 half marathons and improved my pace on the second one. It will come. You are doing it and that's what counts! Good luck!
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have been running off/on for a year and I usually do about 6-10 miles per week but my training program has me doing two 30 minute runs and 1 long run (anywhere between 4 miles-14 miles)
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Lots of people walk half-marathons--your speed isn't nearly slow enough to worry about being swept. And I agree that seeing how little you run right now, focus on endurance rather than speed. See if you can build up to 5 days a week, 20-25 miles. Add the days and distance gradually--the standard advice is not more than 10% a week.

I would build a better base first, then think about more formal speed work later. But one way to incorporate informal speed work even now is fartleks--these are little bursts of speed you can throw in here and there, like, "I'm going to run faster from here to that mailbox." Repeat as comfortable.

Best of luck.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I am going to start trying to run outside more too instead of just the treadmill and I notice that I actually run faster outside than on the treadmill.

Starting tomorrow, I am going to do 3-4 miles per day/4-5 days per week