SLEEP?

Options
ic3co0l
ic3co0l Posts: 57 Member
I'll admit I am horrible at getting a decent amount of sleep per day. I know sleep is VERY important. I just need a kick in the butt.

Can someone emphasize HOW important and vital it is .. especially when it comes to fat loss?? LIKE does anyone have trouble getting normal sleep hours everyday? Did you overcome your sleep issues? HOW??

Replies

• SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    like you I don't get enough sleep for some reason I don't seem able to rest my mind plus my darling husband stays up late and I find it hard to sleep without him (yes i'm a big baby)

I am interested in hearing what others have to say
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Insomnia likes to pay me a visit every now and then and I tend to be like a grumpy toddler when I don't get enough sleep! The least little thing can make me burst into tears and I can be quite snappy.

On the diet front, I often crave sugary stodgy foods after a bad night's sleep...white toast, biscuits, biscuits, cake...not the best for weight loss goals! Plus if I have a run to do, every mile is like pulling teeth! A combination of my body needing to rest and fuelling myself with junk means that I can forget about any personal records.

If anyone has any good strategies on getting through a day after 3hours sleep, without crying, eating rubbish or taking a nap, I'm definitely interested in hearing them!
  • lambchoplewis
    lambchoplewis Posts: 797
    Options
    When I am overtired, I cannot sleep!!1 So, I take an Advil or Tylenol PM right around 7:00PM, take a hot bath and get into bed. I put on the news on TV (boing) and let myself sleep. You have to give into the sleep, don't fight it.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Have you tried hypnosis or meditation? Developing relaxation techniques can help you get to sleep at a decent time. Just like exercise and eating healthy, you need to develop a habit of getting to bed at a decent time.
  • Smamfa
    Smamfa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I dont sleep well, havent in years. I can fall asleep no probs, but wake after 4hrs and then toss and turn and doze for the rest. Ive tried all the sleep remedies going but nothing has worked and Ive got so used to it now it doesnt affect my dieting. I only crave rubbish when Im hungover:)
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    a typical night's sleep for me = anywhere from 4 - 6 hours of sleep, and i'm cool.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I am a horrible sleeper. I actually changed my workout routine to the night so I would tire myself out and get some rest. If I wake up in the middle of the night, i tend to lay on the couch and throw the tv on low. It usually puts me back to sleep.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Sleep? What is that???

Insomnia actually runs in the women of my family, and I have been hit hard with it. As long as I get about 2-3 continuous hours each night I'm ok... lately I have not been getting that and it is HORRIBLE!!!!
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sleep allows your body to function in a healthy manner (brain, rhythms, metabolism, recovery). It needs time to recoup just like your muscles after a workout. If you don't get a healthy sleep, your body can't recover & function properly.

- Find a relaxing routine,
    - Stop the stimulants, sugar & alcohol intake HOURS before bedtime.
    - Create a restful environment (quiet or static noise, dark, is there a pleasant scent that would be helpful?)
    - Stop electronic stimulation (phone, TV, computer, etc) several hours before bedtime
    - Do you have a comfortable bed? Pillow?

Personally, with allergies, I have a hard time breathing so I like to use breathe strips (Walmart brand 'cause it's cheaper) and I will also use an essential oil blend (Easy Breath-blend of peppermint, lemon and eucalyptus; got on Amazon) under my nose
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm horrible for getting enough sleep. Besides the fact that I'm a naturally night owl, with the past four years in university, I've been used to staying up incredibly late (into the early hours of the morning) and then having to get up early for class...

Now that I'm out of school, I've been trying to regulate and return to a more healthy and normal schedule ><
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I dont sleep well, havent in years. I can fall asleep no probs, but wake after 4hrs and then toss and turn and doze for the rest. Ive tried all the sleep remedies going but nothing has worked and Ive got so used to it now it doesnt affect my dieting. I only crave rubbish when Im hungover:)

^^^This^^^

I really wish I could sleep more. I try, but I just never seem to get more than about 4 maybe a little more a night. It doesn't matter what time I go to bed. I wake up the same time every morning regardless of when I go to bed. I haven't used an alarm clock in years because there doesn't seem to be a need for it. I do wish I could sleep more though. I know it would help me feel better...
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I also wish I could sleep more... I also wish I could blame it on the beer or the snacking or whatever else, but I do very little of any of that...

Instead, I can only blame it on the four-month old... She snacks every 2-4 hours because she's SUPPOSED to gain weight!!!

:-P

(lol)