Post Op Exercise

Options
Im going for an op next friday. I cant do any vigorous exercise for 1 week and cannot lift heavy for 6 weeks. How should I adjust my calories to maintain muscle my not gain fat?

My TDEE is 1750 at the moment and that with no exercise added in.

Should I be eating at BMR only?

Any ideas?

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Im going for an op next friday. I cant do any vigorous exercise for 1 week and cannot lift heavy for 6 weeks. How should I adjust my calories to maintain muscle my not gain fat?

My TDEE is 1750 at the moment and that with no exercise added in.

Should I be eating at BMR only?

Any ideas?

Do not eat at BMR! If you want the best chance of keep muscle I would eat at TDEE. Note, muscle will start to atrophy if you don't use it, so be prepared for some loss in 6 weeks. However, if you eat at a deficit and don't do any exercise at all you'll most certainly accelerate the muscle loss.....

Sorry kid, it's just a case of mitigating the worst of the losses by eating enough and getting better. You'll soon get back into it once you're properly healed and "vigorous" exercise could contain exercises that'll help you maintain your muscles. It all depends on how much you can do post surgery and what comes under the heading of "vigorous".

Number one tip is: make sure you're recovered properly and don't do anything daft and put your recovery back even further or (perish the thought) do some permanent damage to yourself.
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Number one tip is: make sure you're recovered properly and don't do anything daft and put your recovery back even further or (perish the thought) do some permanent damage to yourself.

This!!
    Good luck with the op
    J