what if I don't count calories?

Will I still lose? I am an emotional, obsessive, all or nothing type of dieter and for the last month I decided to just eat less and mindful instead of counting everything I eat. I did lose 10 pounds in a month but wonder if I would lose more by counting calories, my issue is once I start restricting calories is when I binge and so far this month I haven't. I guess I'm just looking for your opinions on if what I'm doing now will continue to work long term?

I exercise at least 5 days a week for at least 45 minutes. I eat whatever I think is healthy for me and try not to snack but if I get hungry I am allowing myself one small snack.

Thanks I know it's confusing but I do appreciate everyone's opinion!

God bless!
Dana

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    10 lbs in a month is a lot. I don't think losing more than that is a good idea.

Is it calorie counting that leads to binging or is it that you cut your calories too much? Are you capable of setting a reasonable calorie goal and sticking to it so that you don't feel a need to binge? These are questions only you can answer.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    If it's working, don't change it.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Think of it this way, would you feel comfortable driving your car if your gas tank didn't have a gauge. You might know there is gas in their but how much, you might under fill it one time, you might over fill it another, you might go for a long drive and it be almost empty. Counting calories is tough and can get annoying, and to be completely honest all the numbers are just approximations. But at the end of the day its what works for you, some people have to keep track to stay honest and with in the guide lines of what they want to accomplish others can do that without counting.
    As far as loosing more with counting 10 lbs in a month is awesome. It might be possible to lose a little more if you tracked, but then again it might not. So just remember though it helps to have people support you, weight loss is very personal, and about what works for you.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    to lose weight you need to eat at a deflict-if you don't count cals how will you know if you are eating less? And more importantly, getting your macros needed?

and you would be surprised, what we think is "healthy" could really add up.

I would start logging your food to at least guide you in good decision making.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    If you feel like it's a restriction to be logging what you're putting in your mouth, then that certainly is a "dieting" challenge, and it's good that you're acknowledging it. Living a healthy lifestyle has to be something you are comfortable with, for the long term, in order to accomplish your goals. This particular "logging" tool may not be suited for your success, therefore there is little benefit to MFP.

Logging is just the tool - regardless of "what" you log - calories or exercise - it's only a snap shot of reality, and most days just an estimate, not an exact science. Left unchecked, the eating can get away from you as time passes, so many people prefer to just check in everyday using this tool to keep track of something about their lifestyle that interests them.

If you are comfortable with your method for creating the habit of a healthy lifestyle - then continue to do what you're doing. Are you accomplishing your goals? Is there something missing? Are you just looking to get to a goal faster or more efficiently?
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    If I don't count calories, more seen to sneak in than I realize. A bite here, a bite there - it all adds up.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    If you've already tried calorie counting before and are aware of portion sizes and how many calories are in things, and you are eating healthy nutritious foods I think it's ok to stop counting calories. At least while you are still seeing progress.

The main thing calorie counting showed me is what a proper portion size was, and how much (or little) nutritional value were in certain foods.

If you have this knowledge you should be ok, but if you find yourself slipping into eating lots of junk food, eating more in general, if your weight goes up or if your clothes get tight, then you should consider starting to track again to make sure you know how much you're eating.

Do whatever works for you
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    There's no need to count calories if you're losing weight, eating healthy food, and have educated yourself about the nutritional content of food.

I myself don't track everything I eat unless I'm in strict dieting mode. I do weigh myself a few times a week on a scale that provides a body fat estimate to monitor what my weight is doing. Ignorance is not bliss.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    this is a calorie counting site so you will recieve most posts in favour of counting calories.

However many people do lose weight without counting calories - counting is just a means to an end - to lose wieght you have to eat at a calorie defict - eat less, move more - if you find another way of acheiving this that works for you, than that's fine and dandy :smile:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Hey, congrats on taking the first step of trying to make a change. Sadly, I know all too well what you're going through. I went on the "all or nothing" kinda diets for many times. However, I always endup losing focus and getting off the track.

I would encourage you to give MFP a try. Slow and steady weight loss is far better than what I've done in the past. That is to lose 10 lbs in a month, give up because I like food, and then after a year, try to lose that weight I regained plus some more.

Now I'm not at all saying that you cannot do this without counting calories. Far from it actually. Many people have done it and successfully. However, with MFP you have a tool to see how much you eat daily. As long as you're within calories, you are free to eat ANYTHING you want. That was my attraction to the program and I think so far it has worked for me.

Try MFP. Don't try to lose 10 lbs a month. 5 lbs a month is plenty if you're obese (like me, who had nearly 100 lbs to lose). If you're only trying to lose 20-50 lbs, make a more realistic goal of losing 1 lb a week. Try to eat back what you burn working out too. It'll actually help you increase your metabolism.

Good luck :)
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Congrats on losing 10 lb in a month! Unfortunately, you'll probably stop losing fairly quickly if you don't count calories, or it will dramatically slow down and you'll be frustrated. Your loss will definitely slow down after the first month no matter what- it does for everyone, because in the first month you lose several pounds of water weight because there's just less food holding water in your body. I lost 5 lbs in a week my first week, and only about 1 lb is probably actually fat, unfortunately!

Considering this is a calorie-counting website, most everyone is going to comment that it's really necessary to count. Listening to what our bodies want is what led us to weight gain in the first place, isn't it?

My tips: If you don't have one, buy a food scale. It makes counting calories so much easier and less of a hassle. I don't have to get out measuring cups to put milk in my coffee- I just put the coffee on the scale, zero it, and add 2 oz. Then I enter it in MFP. What could be easier? It makes the biggest difference with foods like BBQ sauce or peanut butter that are such a hassle to measure. You can add the amount that you want and not feel like you have to add a whole teaspoon or tablespoon, just because you can't measure less than that. Even when I'm not calorie counting, I use it every day- it makes life easier and it's important to know how much you're eating. If I could estimate serving sizes properly without measuring, I would not have any weight to lose. :)
  • 123losinforme
    123losinforme Posts: 73 Member
    10 lbs in a month is a lot. I don't think losing more than that is a good idea.

Is it calorie counting that leads to binging or is it that you cut your calories too much? Are you capable of setting a reasonable calorie goal and sticking to it so that you don't feel a need to binge? These are questions only you can answer.

If I know I have a set calorie I will binge. I freak out over not doing it right by not equalling the calories throughout the day.

Thank you all for your honest opinions I feel so much better now. As far as one person said about counting and logging everything that goes with my obsessive side and another spoke of calorie deficient how will I know? So far my body tells me all I know is if I obsess I eat ovr the top.

Y'all are right...if it works don't change it. Again THANK YOU ALL!!

God bless and I wish all of you much health and happiness
    Dana
  • bluethreads
    bluethreads Posts: 6 Member
    everyone is different-

this is the first time I have ever started counting calories-

(yh87ui9bhg mkio90 -lol, sorry, that was my cat )

I don't know if it is the right thing to do; I have always immersed myself in nutritional information/education. This is the first time I am intentionally trying to lose a few pounds, it is also the first time I am watching what I eat for reasons other than health. I always thought it would be best to ignore calories and focus on eating natural, healthy, and in moderation while adding exercise.. But I am, so far, really inspired and motivated by this community. So far I find logging what I eat keeps me accountable and it is fun to understand the caloric count of many foods.

You have to find what works for you- and at different points in your life (because a diet is a lifelong eating pattern, not a phase) you might find different methods help you to stay healthy. The right way is the way that leads you to the health goals that you are aiming for.
  • jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Have you counted calories before? For me personally, I think I would be capable now, after 4 months of calorie counting, to know what I can and can't eat and still lose weight and be healthy. I do continue to track however because it keeps me focused and because I don't find it monotonous as I know a lot of others do.

If you have a good idea of what you can and can't get away with eating and what you are currently doing is working, then continue unless it ceases to work for you :)

As for binging, I find that the only times that I've been prone to binging is when I've deprived myself of something. If you look at my diary you will see that I eat chocolate pretty much everyday, whenever I fancy it really. As long as it fits into my diet without taking me over cals.

You can eat anything you like as long as it's in moderation. Don't deprive yourself or tell yourself that you CAN'T have something. Instead try to think along the lines of 'I could have that if I wanted it but do I actually want it and do I want to undo my good work?!'
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    I think you need to do whatever works for you. If counting calories makes you want to binge then don't do it. If your losing weight simply from "eating better and exercising", that's wonderful!

My personal opinion is that counting calories is not only about the numbers but its about educating yourself about food. Its astonishing how inaccurate people think some foods are. For instance one hamburger could be 450 calories and another one could be 1050. Its so important to be aware of what your eating because calories varies so much from one food to another and could have a pretty big impact on your weight loss. Its also about finding alternatives to the foods that you love and if you just keep ignoring what is in it, well, your more likely not to change your eating habits in the long run.

I am a firm believer in a balanced diet. No shakes, no pills, no fad diets, no starvation...only normal food and plenty of it. Basically what I have done is cut down on processed food, cutting down on gluten but NOT carbs, more veggies, healthy fats, more fruit, more veggies and yes, I go out to eat and I eat cake and cookies still. I'm designing my own plan with what works for me. If what your doing works for you and your happy with the things you eat, do it. This is about finding a lifestyle you can live with for the rest of your life. This shouldn't be a "I will eat like this until I lose the weight, THEN I can eat whatever I want again". It doesn't work like that.

In my past, I just didn't want to know what I was eating because I didn't want to take accountability. I was super overwhelmed at first but counting calories was the best thing I did. It is incredible how blind you are to the food you eat until you put some focus on it. At times I was eating 3k+calories a day when I thought I was eating 2k. Like I said, its about educating yourself and it shouldn't be viewed as a power struggle.