Failed Spagetti Squash...

Options
To all the chef's out there... Help! lol
So, I was super excited to try the spagetti squash I've read so much about in order to save those pasta calories! I purchased a butternut squash, brought it home. It felt like it was a little over 2 lbs. The instructions said 2-3mins/lb in the microwave. I cooked it for a total of 7. At that time I could pierce the skin with a fork (easily,but not too easily) and some of my earlier fork piercings where sputtering.
Anyway. I let it sit for couple minutes. Cut it in half lengthwise and scouped out the seeds and the 'meat' with the seeds was stringy(like a pumpkin), but everything else was either mush or like icecream texture. What the heck??? I though this was supposed to be a pasta substitute.
I covered my 'mush' with spagetti sauce and ate it but I was not impressed.
What did I do wrong?

Replies

• PureAndHealthy
    Options
    You have to buy a "spaghetti squash", not a butternut squash. :embarassed: Spaghetti squash are oval shaped and bright yellow and should be cleary marked as spaghetti squash. Try again. :flowerforyou: Spaghetti squash will amaze you with how much it really looks like noodles as you're scraping it out with a fork and you'll think "so THAT's why they named it spaghetti squash!" :laugh: Oh and I would recommend cutting it in half, scooping out the seeds and stringy pulp mess, and roasting it in the oven cut side down.... I've never done it in the microwave.... but there's often a label on the spaghetti squash with directions on how to cook it. :smile: Good luck next time!
  • AmandaJV
    AmandaJV Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The answer is that a butternut squash is not a spagetti squash. If you can find the later it really does come out like spagetti. I have never seen any in the shops but am lucky enough to have space to grow them. Hope that helps. : )
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    The answer is that a butternut squash is not a spagetti squash. If you can find the later it really does come out like spagetti. I have never seen any in the shops but am lucky enough to have space to grow them. Hope that helps. : )

Really? Where do you live? Every grocery store including Wal-Mart has them here? Maybe it's a south east thing?
  • a978736
    a978736 Posts: 6
    Options
    Butternut squash is not spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash is more yellow and shaped more like a none pointed football. do a search for spaghetti squash images you will see the difference.

I like butternut squash a lot. I peel and seed it . cut into 1 inch cubes put in a flat baking dish season with cinnimon and pepper cover. Microwave till tender and eat. :blushing:
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    Got it! lol I didn't know there was a difference.
    I hope my grocery store has them but I don't think they do :-( I only saw the butternut and a smaller green one. May have to go hunting...

Thanks again!!!