Strong Lifts 5x5 - TDEE-20% or MFP calorie calculations.

Options
I started doing the strong lifts 5x5 program. Many people who have done/are doing this program talk about using TDEE-20% as your daily caloric goals.

When I calculate based on TDEE-20% the difference between that caloric value and the one that MFP provides is a pretty decent difference - 250 - 400 cal per day.

It also says you do not need to work out on off days - I teach fitness classes as a side job a couple days a week which I love and do not plan on quitting - so I begin to wonder how this effects caloric allowance also.

I dont have a huge quantity of weight to loose - just about the last 15 lb from a previous 85lb weight loss. Ive just kind of stalled on how to get that last bit off.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Both methods will work - just different ways to hit a sustainable calorie deficit over time.

To me it really comes down to a personal choice whether you are happier eating the same calories every day or prefer to vary your calories eaten in line with exercise that day.

I prefer high days and low days because:
    1/ The differences in calories I burn are quite extreme from day to day so I can fuel my workouts properly that day.
    2/ I feel it's a constant encouragement to exercise and generably be more active.
    3/ I can fit treats into a big exercise day.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    A deficit will limit your 5x5 progress, but as long as you're aware of that, it won't be a surprise. With 15lb left to go, I'd aim for a 10% cut, not 20%. It'll take longer, but is easier on your body.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE -12% and set my activity level to moderate 3-5 hours per week. I record all my exercise as 1 calorie burn, until I reach 5 hours that week, then I eat back calories if I go over 5 hours. I count my StrongLifts sessions as 1 hour each.

(but i don't time them really. Yesterday I was there 2 hours, but was overseeing the 18 yr olds first day of lifting, the started my lifts, then my mm wanted to show me stuff she bought, then I went to finished up...)

before SL I was using Light Activity- eating back calories once I hit 3 hours for the week, and that seemed to work well for me. I just started Sl 3 weeks ago and won't be taking measurements for 2 more weeks. but I feel good, have energy, clothes fit a little better already
  • CycleFlow
    CycleFlow Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts.... (sorry not sure yet hour to quote all the messages into mine)

Interesting - I have never thought of only eating calories back when I surpass a centrain number of hours of exercise.

When I include SL = 3h, The classes I teach (2 h cycling, 2-3 hours power yoga), probably a run = 1 h, Im up to about 9 -10 hours. On top of which I have a rather active job so when I use the calculators I normally put myself on the high end of active - but never at the highest.

Id like to say that an even limit of calories is good for me on a daily basis in terms of structure - but I find that my hunger levels vary on a day to day basis depending on my work outs. Often I am very hungry the day after a bigger work out - or in the evening if my workout was early morning.

I think my frustration lies in the fact that the origina 85 lbs seemed to erase themselves pretty easily and these last 15 seem to be stuck
    Maybe Ill play with a TDEE - 10-15% depending on daily activity??? Im not necissarily looking for huge strength gains in SL - I saw it as more of a clear cut routine to get me back into a good weight training regime since I somewhat fell off the weight training wagon for awhile.

Any other thoughts more than appreciated. Thanks so far!! :D

Any other thoughts are muchly appreciated.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Both methods will work - just different ways to hit a sustainable calorie deficit over time.

To me it really comes down to a personal choice whether you are happier eating the same calories every day or prefer to vary your calories eaten in line with exercise that day.

I prefer high days and low days because:
    1/ The differences in calories I burn are quite extreme from day to day so I can fuel my workouts properly that day.
    2/ I feel it's a constant encouragement to exercise and generably be more active.
    3/ I can fit treats into a big exercise day.

Agreed.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts.... (sorry not sure yet hour to quote all the messages into mine)

Interesting - I have never thought of only eating calories back when I surpass a centrain number of hours of exercise.

When I include SL = 3h, The classes I teach (2 h cycling, 2-3 hours power yoga), probably a run = 1 h, Im up to about 9 -10 hours. On top of which I have a rather active job so when I use the calculators I normally put myself on the high end of active - but never at the highest.

Id like to say that an even limit of calories is good for me on a daily basis in terms of structure - but I find that my hunger levels vary on a day to day basis depending on my work outs. Often I am very hungry the day after a bigger work out - or in the evening if my workout was early morning.

I think my frustration lies in the fact that the origina 85 lbs seemed to erase themselves pretty easily and these last 15 seem to be stuck
    Maybe Ill play with a TDEE - 10-15% depending on daily activity??? Im not necissarily looking for huge strength gains in SL - I saw it as more of a clear cut routine to get me back into a good weight training regime since I somewhat fell off the weight training wagon for awhile.

The leaner you get the harder it is to lose. Weight loss is generally slower, you have to be more precise with your diet, and workouts have to be on point (especially if you have body composition goals as well as/instead of simple scale weight).
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I average calories over a week. I try to stay around daily targets, but if I'm not hungry I won't eat, and if I'm starving (usually the day AFTER I lift) I'll eat. I don't get hung up on matching it exactly every day.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

For me, it seems to be a lot of trial and error. I think this method of "eating back only after I reach 5 hours of exercise" works. I tried the "just MFP calorie goal" method and the "just TDEE -%", I like the ease of TDEE, I don't have to figure out, log, etc, my exercise, or fiddle,with eating it back .. But I also like the ability to earn more food with the 'eating back' method. So this seems to be the best of both for me, plus with my mild health issues, I can just do TDEE on bad weeks, and enjoy the 'eating back" on good weeks, and on those in between weeks, it's,motivation to get get in more than the 5 hours a week.

We all have to find what works best for us, individually.

And, everyone says those last 10-15 are slower and harder. Don't let it discourage you. Eating to lose 1/2 to 1 pound a week is the easiest to maintain the rest of your life, usually.