Trimming Thighs - Overall Toning

Options
Hi Everyone! I'm Allison and I've lost 50 pounds here on MFP since August 2011. It being bathing suit season, even after the weight loss, I've realized how UN toned I am! Areas of particular problems - *kitten* and thighs!! I'm naturally cut athletic on my bottom half - these muscles have been here since the womb and I swear I came out to pull carts or something, but they're nothing if they're not toned!

I work a schedule where I'm two days on for 12 hour shifts, 2 days off, 2 days on, etc. so I need some exercises like squats that I can at least do a few reps in the morning on my work days. I know this is a basic question - easy to google, but I figured who knows better than all these people getting in shape!!

Also I have sets of 3, 5, and 8 pound dumbells I can use. Any thoughts or suggestions (also on the best type of cardio...please don't say running...) are much appreciated!!

Replies

• frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I started the 30 day squat challenge. Today I have to do 135 squats. I break them into segments of 20 or 25. We have a pretty private restroom here at work. Each time I go in I do 25 squats, 10 front lunges, 10 side lunges, and some waist exercises. I add a new exercise every few days. With walking at lunchtime, I've lost an inch on my thighs in less than a month. I'm hoping that it will continue :). When the next 30 days of the challenge starts I want to add hand weights. I see people using them on videos. Good luck!
  • GreenPharmD
    GreenPharmD Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm doing that squat challenge too! I've been able to break them into sets of 25 too at work, and at home have been using 3# hand weights. I guess I'm only really two weeks into the regular squats thing but I haven't seen even half an inch lost yet... but I'll keep on truckin!! Thanks!!
  • GreenPharmD
    Options
    Actually I lied... just checked my thigh measurement and it's half and inch smaller. That's HUGE for me. 22 to 21.5....
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    For trimming - aka losing the fat - a calorie deficit created through your diet and/or exercise. Cardio helps create a deficit, as does strength training. Strength training will help you to maintain the muscles you already have while losing more fat. There are no exercises that will specifically target fat loss from a particular area. You body lets go of fat from where it's ready to. For a lot of women, the hip/thigh/butt area is the last place to lose from (which I'm jealous of - may fat tends to be stored in the belly, which is far less fun.)

For building muscles - squats, lunges and deadlifts, preferably with heavy weights. (It doesn't matter how light you start off; "heavy" is relative, but ideally you need to be progressing in weight over time).

It's very difficult to lose fat and build muscle at the same time, but if you're new to strength training you might have some success with that. Even if you don't build muscle mass, you should get some muscle definition just by working them, as they will swell a little as they repair themselves. Regardless, it sounds like what you're trying to do is lose a little more fat, while keeping the muscle you already have. I'd go with a small calorie deficit, with strength training, and cardio if you want cardio. Just don't do hours of cardio without eating enough to compensate for the calories burned.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Try the lower levels from the Butt Bible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcNxaXb5Ews
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts and all their variations.

Go as heavy as you can, which means you'll likely need more/heavier weights.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Zumba! Absolutely great because its fun - not torture! - and because you're moving in different ways and directions the whole time every single leg/bottom muscle gets a workout - also core (if you're posture is correct), arms, the works!

I also swear by Rosemary Conley fitness DVDs for aerobic/toning - I do a 20 min before breakfast and generally 30-40 minutes before dinner (if I don't do some wii zumba) and my lower half has been transformed - apart from losing weight I know have muscles! (lean not bulky).
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Actually I lied... just checked my thigh measurement and it's half and inch smaller. That's HUGE for me. 22 to 21.5....

Good for you!!! I could see a slight difference and I couldn't wait...so I measured early. I'm a pear and my things are the bane of my existence. So, I'll take a half an inch at a time. That with watching my calories and walking - this time I'm determined!!!
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Billy Blanks Lower Body Bootcamp is good overall for legs and that area. Or heavier kettlebells atleast 18lbs will help alot too.
  • SabrinaLC
    SabrinaLC Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My lower half is my problem as well.
    I've done months and months of Brazil Butt Lift with barely any results. I've lost off my thighs, I'm around 19-20" after YEARS of trying but I'm not toned down there at all!
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Did you say bathing suit season? Swimming is fun cardio.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    For thighs, try spinning. It's amazing for legs! It is the only workout that is super effective for inner thighs :wink:
  • katilynnegray
    katilynnegray Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's 30 day shred has been great for me- tons of leg exercises mixed with cardio is the best thing for toning. The lunge jumps in the third level are great!
  • kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I got some rope and a bag and put all my girly dumbells together to make one heavy kettelbel-like weight. It was great for at home squats until I bought my squat rack.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    toning is not a thing.

you can't spot reduce fat either.

watch what you eat- find your BMR and TDEE and eat just under the maintance level to drop BF%....

then lift the heavy things.
  • GreenPharmD
    Options
    Thanks to those posting positive, supportive, suggestions.