Is this my plateau??

Options
ttkg
ttkg Posts: 357 Member
For the month of May, I have been fluctuating between 186 and 183, without really sticking to a weight for more than a few days. I have been consuming 2.75 - 3 litres of water a day, in a regular week I work out with my personal trainer 4 times, and I log all food in MFP and follow the guidelines that it gives me. Most times I eat all calories and sometimes there may be 100 or 200 left OR I may go over 100 or 200 cals.

This is what I have been doing since February and normally I will see a weight loss of 5 lbs per month, but this isn't represented on the scales for May. Does this sound like a plateau? Any ideas on what changes I could make to turn this around?

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could be. If you have stuck with the same exact routine it's probably time to change. Change your calories, your workout routine...you gotta keep your body constantly guessing. My body plateaus about everything 4-5 weeks if I'm not changing something. Zig zag calories. Are you eating your exercise calories? If not try and start eating those. For the month of May I hadn't lost anything till this last week. It's frustrating. But it's part of the journey. Hang in there, you will get through it!
  • peggyo
    peggyo Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi. I looked at your diary but only saw you've logged your calories in just the last couple of days so I'm just going off those. Are you logging your exercise as well? If you are only eating the calories you've logged and exercising, I don't think you're eating enough. Especially on the days you're exercising.
    I went through this as well and realized just by adding a 100-200 calorie snack if the afternoon, my weight loss picked back up. Also you may want to talk to your trainer and see if you can mix up your exercise to get things going again.
  • crking
    crking Posts: 175
    Options
    I know what you're going through!! I've been going back and forth between 120-125 for a month now. I always tell myself it's just water weight because I drink so much a day but it does stink when it doesn't sit at one number so you never really know what you really are!! Keep it up though. Don't get discouraged!
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    Hi. I looked at your diary but only saw you've logged your calories in just the last couple of days so I'm just going off those. Are you logging your exercise as well? If you are only eating the calories you've logged and exercising, I don't think you're eating enough. Especially on the days you're exercising.
    I went through this as well and realized just by adding a 100-200 calorie snack if the afternoon, my weight loss picked back up. Also you may want to talk to your trainer and see if you can mix up your exercise to get things going again.

I agree. My weight loss flat lined all this month till I started eating almost half my exercise calories. One or two protein bars throughout the day took care of those calories and I lost 1.8 pounds this week. Good luck!
  • ttkg
    Options
    Thanks all. Yeah i was on a business trip for a week prior to last and I didn't always have the time (or internet connection) to log in. But I tracked everything and submitted it to my trainer.

I do enter my exercise and sometimes I leave 100 or 200 exercise calories but I thought that was so minimal it couldn't be it. Since 2 of you are saying different i will try and make sure I get these in each day. Thanks - hopefully this will help.

As for the exercise, we are always doing something different, my trainer is amazing and always keep's it fresh and fun. I'll try getting in those few extra hundred calories over the next week or 2 and see what results that yields. :smile:
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    Thanks all. Yeah i was on a business trip for a week prior to last and I didn't always have the time (or internet connection) to log in. But I tracked everything and submitted it to my trainer.

I do enter my exercise and sometimes I leave 100 or 200 exercise calories but I thought that was so minimal it couldn't be it. Since 2 of you are saying different i will try and make sure I get these in each day. Thanks - hopefully this will help.

As for the exercise, we are always doing something different, my trainer is amazing and always keep's it fresh and fun. I'll try getting in those few extra hundred calories over the next week or 2 and see what results that yields. :smile:

It took me a week or two before it started to really "work". I started eating more about 2 or 3 weeks ago, not sure, and this was my first week to see a signifficant loss. For others it worked the same week. Everybody is different. Just don't get discouraged.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes, it very well could be. You're halfway to your goal so you're getting close to a comfortable weight for your body and it's trying to tell you it needs a LITTLE more for you to get those last lbs off. Try increasing your calories and changing your work out routine. Try a different cardio machine (or ask your trainer to change your routine because your body is obviously used to it by now). Are you doing any kind of strength training?
  • ttkg
    Options
    I do strength training for an hour with my trainer 4 times a week. We are now staring to move into more dynamic exercises like sit ups, push ups, pull ups etc. Plus we have started work with a bosu ball (SP??).

Although with my old trainer I use to also do 30 mins of cardio when I wasn't meeting with her, the new trainer is 1000 times better and frankly I am so exhausted I haven't been doing this in addition to our sessions.

I think I will need to start back up with another 2 cardio sessions per week, plus trying to eat up every last exercise calorie. Just have to keep reminding myself that I am worth the extra effort, even if I'm tired, lol!

Thanks again, I appreciate your insight and guidance. :flowerforyou:
  • ttkg
    Options
    P.S. - I just went and set aside a few extra snacks for today to MAKE SURE I get in those extra exercise calories, hopefully with this little extra planning it will ensure that I do.