Jogging/running tips

Options
2»

Replies

• Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    For those of you that were fitted for shoes, what brand did you end up with? I am considering getting fitted but the closest running store that does fitting is 1 1/2 hours away. :-(

It is worth the trip.

The brand that anyone else wears doesn't matter, you need tow ear the right shoe for you. My husband wears New Balance, they kill me. I wear Asics--he hates the way they feel. I've worn Nike in the past, but they are no longer right for me, so you do need to get refitted now and then.

Also have them fit you for insoles--the right ones make a world of difference.

Also get good socks. I've tried them all--Feetures, Swiftwick, you name it--and the only ones worth buying are the Wright Socks double layer. I never, ever, ever get blisters with those, they are the only ones I can say that about.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    All the safety advice is good. Consider a lightweight mesh reflective vest as well.

Good socks ...absolutely. I wear polypro liner socks under a good pair of reasonably-fitted socks. Helps wick away that moisture and tends to cut down on any blisters that might be tempted to form.

Good, well-fitted shoes are also a must. Generally speaking, using running or cross-trainers are best for running/jogging. (Personnaly, I tend towards cross-trainers though I do have shoes I use specifically for running as opposed to walking or hiking). Shoes designed for other sports have a different "platform" that they are trying to serve and support. Find shoes that are built for your feet (i.e., don't go for the stylish "long and narrow" shoe just because you like the way it looks when what you really need is something a little wider, etc.). For example, I find that most Nike shoes are too narrow for my feet.

Unless you are really tuned-in to your body stress/demand so you can control your pace, you might consider, somewhere down the road, a heart rate monitor. A properly setup heartrate monitor can help if you are running to a "constant" heartrate.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I took up running in cheap shoes and ended up injuring myself due to my pronation. Got measured and tested, new shoes, no problems.
  • ahappydancer
    ahappydancer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone! Feel free to keep it coming.
    I started the c25k last night and it was different. Usually I just jog until I want to die and then go home and laze around. Last night I felt the burn without feeling dead. I think if I make it to week 5 I'll get a pricey pair of shoes. Plus, four weeks from now I'll have enough money saved to get a pair. :D
    I also run at night because it gets unreasonably hot during the day where I live.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone! Feel free to keep it coming.
    I started the c25k last night and it was different. Usually I just jog until I want to die and then go home and laze around. Last night I felt the burn without feeling dead. I think if I make it to week 5 I'll get a pricey pair of shoes. Plus, four weeks from now I'll have enough money saved to get a pair. :D
    I also run at night because it gets unreasonably hot during the day where I live.

Wait. You might very well find that the right shoes for you aren't pricey. I have a number of friends who have been professionally fitted and their "right" shoe is only $50 or so.
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Runners are so kind :)

Yes, run in the morning, the losers who would cat call you are still sleeping!
  • ahappydancer
    Options
    $50 isn't that bad. When I go to Nashville this weekend I'll go find some shoes as well.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    do you have anyone that can run with you? or a dog? I have noticed that I get less of that when my dog is with me than when I'm by myself. Also, I always carry my cell phone when running. My other suggestion would be try running in the mornings before work, still not really bright out and potentially less traffic to call at ya!

If your shoes seem to be working for you, great. As you get more into running and start going for longer distances consistently, I would suggest getting fitted for shoes, this will help you get into a shoe that best fits your foot and gait; most running shoe stores will be able to do this for you. I was always very prone to shin splints, until I was properly fitted for shoes.
  • ahappydancer
    Options
    I wish I had a dog to run with. I would be much more motivated to take a dog for a walk/jog than I am for myself sometimes. Most of my friends don't run or are busy.