Who didn't lose weight until they upped their calories?

Options
Hi all,

My TDEE is supposedly around 2200 and my BMR is 1490ish. I am a 35 year old female at 5 foot 6 inches and weigh 157. I set my weight loss goal at 1.5 pounds per week and would like to get down to 135. I have been logging my calories and workouts for almost 3 months and have not lost weight on the scale and my clothes fit the same. I didn't take measurements but I am pretty sure they are the same. For the first month and a half I was lifting weights (a new activity for me) 4-5 days a week and doing about 15 minutes of jogging/ walking. I hurt my leg so I had to take some time off and started walking and spinning. Last month I started spinning 4 times a week (about 30 minutes with some HIIT in there) and going to ashtanga vinyasa classes in the evening about 5 days a week.

Here the question: were my calories too low at 1200-1400 on my exercise days? I am always over protein on my macros and way under carbs. I just readjusted my calorie level and set it above my BMR. So now if I don't exercise I will at least be eating 1490ish calories a day. I'm hoping this helps.

I would like some advice and I would like to hear from people who had stalled losses or nothing at all and then started losing when they upped their calories. Please nobody say starvation mode b/c I don't believe in it.:tongue:

Thanks,
E

Replies

• shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I still need to be convinced of this whole "not enough calories" thing. I still go back to the cliche "you don't see any fat Etheopians". It just doesn't make sense. If you don't have enough calories, your body will use what it has for energy. This is why professional atthletes, college athletes, high school athletes, people in third world countries who have to walk 4 miles a day just to get water for their family, active children, marathon runners, gym rats, etc. etc etc. are all lean. This whole concept of having too much of a caloric deficit is rediculous, and another excuse for people to eat more and sit on their *kitten*. Move, move, move. That's all there is to it. You can't be a highly active person, eat a clean diet, and be fat. Our bodies just don't work like that. As long as you are getting enough nutrition and working your butt off, you will be lean. Period. If your not losing fat, move more, lift more. Eat enough to meet your macro and micro requirements and stay the course. It will come off. It can't not.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    My sister has your almost your exact stats. She was stuck for 5 months eating 1200 on a doctors advice. I convinced her to go to 1700 and eat back at least half her exercise based on our calculations of her TDEE. Her exercise isn't consistent enough to work into her true TDEE so we modified it this way. She held steady for 3 1/2 weeks and then dropped 2 pounds in a week and a steady half pound a week since then. She is thrilled.

She had previously lost 35 pounds last year with WW but quit when she stalled.
  • donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Book marking because I'm curious about the replies. I defintely gained weight by taking in too many calories, so eating more to lose weight is kind of confusing.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    bump
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I started losing regularly when I upped mine. Slowly, but surely.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I still need to be convinced of this whole "not enough calories" thing. I still go back to the cliche "you don't see any fat Etheopians". It just doesn't make sense. If you don't have enough calories, your body will use what it has for energy. This is why professional atthletes, college athletes, high school athletes, people in third world countries who have to walk 4 miles a day just to get water for their family, active children, marathon runners, gym rats, etc. etc etc. are all lean. This whole concept of having too much of a caloric deficit is rediculous, and another excuse for people to eat more and sit on their *kitten*. Move, move, move. That's all there is to it. You can't be a highly active person, eat a clean diet, and be fat. Our bodies just don't work like that. As long as you are getting enough nutrition and working your butt off, you will be lean. Period. If your not losing fat, move more, lift more. Eat enough to meet your macro and micro requirements and stay the course. It will come off. It can't not.

This is just my personal opinion, but the in the cliche you mentioned there are two vast differences between us and them.

#1 They never had the fat storage that most of us have/had to start with.

#2 They have had to eat at these low levels for years and years.
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Totally agree
  • mycupyourcake
    Options
    @shemoney, those Ethiopians never gained weight to begin with. We do know that the body experiences hormonal and metabolic changes when we gain weight and when we start under eating.
  • mycupyourcake
    Options
    I started losing regularly when I upped mine. Slowly, but surely.

Would you mind telling me what your first calorie set point was at and what you upped it to?
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I say that you've got to eat. So if you are going to eat, you may as well eat the right amount. Eat enough so that you lose weight but not too much so that you put on weight and not too little so that your body gets stressed and starts conserving the fuel it gets.

I disagree with the point about fat Ethiopians and athletes. Theirs is not a comparable lifestyle to most people. i do not want to live the life of a starving person or an athlete in training. I want to be as near normal as possible. If you live that kind of life, your body is stressed and will go into conservation mode to keep what little nutrition it gets and that seems to be why people stall in their weight loss. All the other explanations sdon't make that amount of sense.
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options

You can hardly compare professional athletes with people in third world countries that don't have enough to eat... can you?

Professional athletes eat plenty; they need to because they need to fuel their activities & because they don't have ample fat stores to sustain them. Starving people are.... starving. People having too much of a calorie deficit is ridiculous? I don't know what your body runs on, but mine needs food to survive. I can tell you that there IS such a thing as too much of a calorie deficit & it is as unhealthy as it is pointless.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't exactly say success. I tried upping my calories a few weeks ago... Not because I wasn't losing but because I was feeling weak, hungry and shaky.
    3 weeks later, I feel great! Much more energized and not hungry at all - ever. And, I am still losing. But, truth be told, I am losing less than I was before. Fractions of a pound each week.
    But, every single week the scale has been lower, even just a little. I am going to stay where I am at cause I don't want to feel weak and hungry. I will lose the weight slower if I have to.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Check out the Eat More to Weigh Less group
    also the Eat, Train Progress group. Great folks moderating and great information. Be sure to read the stickies so you understand what each group is trying to tell you.

FYI - at 1200 calories I didn't lose a pound. At 1700 and eating back my exercise calories I lost 29. 5'3" started at 177 now at 153 and building muscle like noone's business!

EAT, TRAIN, PROGRESS
    Yes, it's that simple.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My guess is you are not logging accurately.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I've been stalled for about 3 weeks not losing anything so on recommendation of lots of people on here upping calories I have everyday and I've started losing again.

Before I was doing about 1200-1400 NET... now i'm doing 1600-1800 and i'm losing about 1#/week again.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Your calories were very low for the exercising you were doing. I have been losing with high calories, 1760 and I am also 5'6". I even eat more than 1000 calories extra some days when I strength train extremely heavy or have walked 7 miles and I fill my body being hungry. I see my weight affected more by my diet, whether I eat a lot of bread and pizza and high sodium, whether I eat close to my sleep time, not drinking enough water. I also do 1 day fasting that drops the calories to 1000, just for a day and only once a month, when I seem to be stuck in a plateau. But I eat as much as I want, I feel full of energy and I am not hungry. You are also very close to the ideal weight range for your height so 1.5 lb per week is quite aggressive. When you reduce calories significantly you do not go into starvation, but your body adapts to perform its function with less calories. It is like a car that runs optimal with 94 octanes but it can still run with 87 octanes. Weigh your food on a food scale religiously, walk everywhere, cut soda, increase fruits and vegetables, drink a lot of water, and exercise. Also drop your weight loss to 0.5lb per week, or 1lb maximum.
  • mycupyourcake
    Options
    Hmmm, food for thought.
  • rjc0914
    rjc0914 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Personally, I was eating low calories for me (1500ish a day) from October to Mid January. Lost about 30 pounds but stalled out for like 3 weeks before stumbling on the whole TDEE thing. Upped my calories to about 2200 a day and the weight started coming off again and have steadily been losing a couple pounds a week on average ever since. I just try to hit my macro's as close as I can but I typically eat more carbs on days I do cardio and a little more fat on days I do strength training. Long story short, it worked for me but to each their own. Try it out and listen to your body. If you have been stuck for this lone what have you got to lose.... except for more weight :)

30 y/o Male
    SW: 260
    CW: 203
  • mycupyourcake
    Options
    My guess is you are not logging accurately.

Even if I were not logging accurately how could I be missing say over 600 calories a day? I weigh and measure my food. I'll give you say a 200 calorie error but not 600, right.
  • carlacyr
    carlacyr Posts: 11
    Options
    I had to up my calories to start losing weight again. I'm 5'3, 236lbs and was eating 1200 calories a day plus exercise calories. It worked for a while, but I was always tired and sore. I stopped losing weight after about a month... I struggled with allowing myself to up my calories... Cause it's freaky eating as much as I do. I though for sure I'd gain all the weight back. Regardless, I upped my calories to 1800, eating most of my exercise calories back. I was stuck for a little while, about 2 weeks, but after that the weight has steadily started to come off. I'm losing an average of 1.6lbs a week.