Tattoos

Options
AIZZO4
AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
Hey everyone it’s me again. The desperate, no premise, looking for a date guy. Or at least that how some people on here view me….lol

My next topic is tattoos. Years ago, I was that guy who said “I will never get a tattoo.” Fast forward to today, and I want on like crazy. So before I put something permanently on my body, I would like to ask some questions to my brothers and sisters with tattoos.

1. Pain, where was your most/least painful tattoo located?

2. How many places did you visit before you got it done?

3. What would you recommend for a dark skin person? Color, location, etc.

4. Any other recommendations, thoughts, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I forgot to add that I am still looking to lose about 120 pounds. Should a wait before I get a tattoo?

As always I love different opinions. If you hate tattoos by all means tell me why.

Replies

• oX_Vanessa_Xo
    oX_Vanessa_Xo Posts: 478
    Options
    The butterfly piece I have on my back was the least painful tho it took 6 and a half hours to complete. I went to 2 other tattoo shops before I found a place I wanted to get it done. I've had the tatty drawn up for years before finally getting ot done. Still need to add one more butterfly and more tribal for the new baby.

For you I'd say get a sick looking big bicep tattoo. I don't know what colors would really pop on dark skin but I'm thinking black, dark green and dark blue.

Oh and the most painful spot was my forearm. It needs to be covered but I'm dreading going through that again,
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Most painful was my left wrist.. Least was my ankle.

I have a fab guy in GR that I can refer you to.

I've been to 3 different shops. My last 2 tats are my faves and done by the said fab guy I just mentioned.

Bicep tats are always sexy on guys.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have 3 tattoos; one on my right ankle, one on my left wrist and one on the back of my neck. Honestly, none of them hurt more than the others. I get pleasure from the pain of tattoos. I only went to 1 shop and the same guy did all 3 of mine, I got the recommendation from a friend that had been. I love tattoos on guys, anywhere. Very sexy. If you do get one, would love you to post pics :wink:
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Do I have to be dark-skinned to answer?

1) I only have 2 right now, but from my experience and what I've heard from others, the areas with less muscle and fat (thinner "padding" between the bone and skin) hurt more. One of mine is on my left shoulder, and the closer the artist got to my shoulder blade, the more it hurt. It was also worse during the shading portion than during the outlines because of the difference in the kind of needles used.

2) I visited 2 places with friends while they got theirs, but only the one place that I got both of mine to actually get them. I did a LOT of research before getting them though.

3) As I mentioned, I'm not dark-skinned, so I don't really have an answer here.

4) Make sure it's something that you're absolutely sure you want. Think about it for a long time before actually getting it. If you wait a couple months and still want it on your body for the rest of your life, then go ahead, but remember that it's a lifelong thing. NEVER get a name (unless it's a parent/grandparent/child/etc. NEVER a SO even if you're married, but that's just my opinion)!!! It should mean something to you.

My mom hates tattoos because she's kind of a "Bible thumper" and thinks that "your body is a temple" and doesn't think God would want anyone to "disgrace" him by scarring their body, blah, blah, blah.... Love my mom with all my heart, but she's a little old school. If my body's a temple, I'm gonna decorate the walls. :laugh:

ETA: If I can get in, I'm getting 2 more on June 1 (one on the inside of my right ankle above my ankle bone, and one on the inside of my left foot going kind of over my arch). I also have at least 3 more after that planned out, and if I ever reach my goal of running a half-marathon or full marathon, I'm getting one to commemorate each of them. :smile:

Another edit for reference to average pain ratings:
    tattoo-pain-chart.jpg
    tattoo+pain+3.png
  • AIZZO4
    Options

1) I only have 2 right now, but from my experience and what I've heard from others, the areas with less muscle and fat (thinner "padding" between the bone and skin) hurt more. One of mine is on my left shoulder, and the closer the artist got to my shoulder blade, the more it hurt. It was also worse during the shading portion than during the outlines because of the difference in the kind of needles used.

2) I visited 2 places with friends while they got theirs, but only the one place that I got both of mine to actually get them. I did a LOT of research before getting them though.

4) Make sure it's something that you're absolutely sure you want. Think about it for a long time before actually getting it. If you wait a couple months and still want it on your body for the rest of your life, then go ahead, but remember that it's a lifelong thing. NEVER get a name (unless it's a parent/grandparent/child/etc. NEVER a SO even if you're married, but that's just my opinion)!!! It should mean something to you.

My mom hates tattoos because she's kind of a "Bible thumper" and thinks that "your body is a temple" and doesn't think God would want anyone to "disgrace" him by scarring their body, blah, blah, blah.... Love my mom with all my heart, but she's a little old school. If my body's a temple, I'm gonna decorate the walls. :laugh:

No, I want everyone to answer.
  • Nixipop
    Nixipop Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a few tattoos but the least painful were on my wrists and ankle (most painful probably being my ribs!) I searched artists work for a while before deciding where I was gonna go. Also the majority of the time I hear about people searching for the cheapest places to go which I REALLY don't understand as personally I'd rather pay out the *kitten* for something top notch instead of half the price and half the quality as you're stuck with it forever! I think you should either go with your back or bicep personally but really tattoos are always a personal preference :)
  • lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well the one on my left foot hurt a bit but its on the top... the one on my writst and right ankle didnt hurt alot. Im glad you did this post because I love the butterflies one I am seeing and am thinking of 4 of them one for me and one for each of my girls.
  • carakit
    carakit Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Im interested to hear what everyone has to say. I have been thinking about rewarding myself with a tatoo when I reach my goal weight!
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I have one on my lower right calf and one on my lower left arm both of those didn't hurt at all. My husband has 4 tats though and he has one on his back he said that one hurt the worst cuz there's alot less flesh there. I like the lower arm ones cuz if you are paying that much then people can see them and if you wear a t shirt or something it won't cover up your tattoo you can still see it. And if its a colder time of yr you can wear jeans and won't hide your tattoo or nothing.
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have one on my lower back, it barely hurt except across my spine. In general I think it hurts less when you're working on meaty areas versus bony areas. I've seen a lot of tattoos on dark skin, and in general I'd say stick to black, colors don't seem to turn out very well.

As far as picking your tattoo artist, I'd look to the tattoos of people you know. I picked my artist based on his work, and 12 years later I'm still very happy with my piece.

I would wait until you are happy with your body before having it done. Obviously weight change will potentially change your tattoo, so you might even want to wait until you're in maintenance and you're sure you'll be at that body size for the foreseeable future.

Good luck!
  • badjuju775
    badjuju775 Posts: 47
    Options
    I want a small one on my ankle, like a butterfly, but my husband says "NO TRAMP STAMP FOR ME"... He's such a butthead. I should go do it anyway!!! Ugh!!!
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have a few and my wife has a few, so to answer questions least painful was outside shoulder (upper bicep) most painful for me was calf for my wife it was her stomach (most pain around pelvic bone) I also have a back piece (mid completion) and forearm, wife has outside calf, small wrist, mid back, upper back shoulder. We found an artist we loved and stuck with him, he is in AZ and we are in KY so it is tough getting new work done, but once you find a guy you trust to ink you for life you stick to him. We used his art for reference if you like what they draw on others chances are you will like what they can do for you. My suggestion is to find someone who does other dark skin people and does what you are looking to get done. A good japanese tat guy might be a terrible portrait guy. Also from what I have seen black and white tats work best on darker skin, but as you can see from profile pick I am not the expert in that area.
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I got mine before they got termed 'tramp stamp', and I love it. It's beautiful, it didn't hurt, it didn't change with my body, through weight gains/losses or pregnancy. I don't have to look at it every day, so it never gets old, and I can always hide it if I want to... Just my two cents :smokin:
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone it’s me again. The desperate, no premise, looking for a date guy. Or at least that how some people on here view me….lol

My next topic is tattoos. Years ago, I was that guy who said “I will never get a tattoo.” Fast forward to today, and I want on like crazy. So before I put something permanently on my body, I would like to ask some questions to my brothers and sisters with tattoos.

I forgot to add that I am still looking to lose about 120 pounds. Should a wait before I get a tattoo?

As always I love different opinions. If you hate tattoos by all means tell me why.

1- Subject to individual pain tolerance. None of my really hurt any worse then the others (I have one of each arm, and one on my leg).

2- I went to places based on artist rep and price. I didn't really "shop around" but some people in your area probably know which places are "better" price wise.

3- I have both color and solid black. They're all going to fade over time, I think the black one looks better then the colored ones (and i got the black one one first). My next one I plan on getting done without color. All of the black guys I know only have dark ink, the lighter your complexion I think the easier it is for colors to show through though. Like red or another bright color is going to look way different on me (a pale irish guy) then a dark skinned black guy. Your best bet is probably to talk to the person doing it.

Waiting until you drop could be a good thing. Think of it as a reward for a job well done! I don't think getting smaller is going to change it too much. When women get them on their belly/hip they can look pretty bad if she gets pregnant.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

Shoulder blade hurt the least, near the spine hurt the most.
    I have friends who say head, ribs and kneecaps hurt the most.

2, picked mine based on reference but checked out another place first.

Although I'm not dark skinned, they do say that black and white are the colours that pop the most on dark skin.

Really think about what you want before you jump in and get it. Its for life, no regrets :)

Depends on the placement, Im not sure for guys, but (some) women, on the breast and or stomach, things tend to not look the same after a large amount of weight loss. Especially if you have been larger for quite a while and skin elasticity isnt great.
  • AIZZO4
    Options
    Thanks guys. Great comments and suggestions. I appreciate that.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

The first one I got was on my shoulder blade, one small heart on my foot and one medium sized dream catcher (profile pic) on my ribs last night. The one on my ribs was pretty painful. The ribs and feet are supposed to be the most painful spots. But, as long as you can sit still you will be fine.

Ill tell you what I told my little sister when considering her first tattoo:

I love tattoos, but I personally like to take them very seriously when I make decisions. Not all people are like that, that's just me. I would absolutely not let just ANYONE tattoo me. I got my first at 19 and #2 and #3 at 22.

Consider placement options very carefully. Who will be able to see the tattoo? Is it appropriate for work? etc etc. Like others have said, the more fleshy areas of the body are less painful. The thinner the skin and closer to the bone you go the more its going to hurt. Like I said, the ribs and feet are supposed to be the worst for this reason. But its all about the person and what they can handle.

Talk to people you know with tattoos that you like, look clean and are well done. Look for even and straight lines (if applicable of course), good pigmentation and amount of detail. Then, consider the options in your area and recommendations from others. I went into about 5 different tattoo shops in my area before picking one. All three of mine were done at the same place. Talk to different artists. Look at their web pages and books at the shop. No, not the typical drawings on the walls. Most artists have a book of actual photographs of their work. Then, think about it for a while. If you still want to continue, consult with the artist with a photograph or drawing of what you are thinking about. Give them as much help as possible as far as letting the person know what it is you want. size? color? etc.

I trust and like the artist that does my tattoos very much. I recommend him and his shop to everyone I talk to. He worked with me on mine to get them to the exact state I wanted them to be. We worked TOGETHER on a final product which I really appreciate. It resulted in me being really happy with my pieces. They are the professionals, so try to be open to advice.

OVERALL:

Take your time, as much as you need to make the best decision for you. If you want to wait until you reach goal weight, you might be better off.

No one can tell you what we would recommend as far as color, size, location, etc. Everyone has their own visual taste.

Pick a great artist, you will be much happier.
  • Penny427
    Penny427 Posts: 166 Member
    Options

ETA: If I can get in, I'm getting 2 more on June 1 (one on the inside of my right ankle above my ankle bone, and one on the inside of my left foot going kind of over my arch). I also have at least 3 more after that planned out, and if I ever reach my goal of running a half-marathon or full marathon, I'm getting one to commemorate each of them. :smile:

tattoo-pain-chart.jpg
    tattoo+pain+3.png
    Gotta disagree with these charts....but I guess its different for each person.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    On my back from my bra strap and down around my hip. Spine, hip... terrible for pain. But still doable.

Just the one, I knew the artist was amazing.

Not sure!

If you're looking to lose significant weight, I would wait on the tattoo. Use it as a reward to work towards for your goal weight. Weight loss will impact the way it looks.
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options

tattoo-pain-chart.jpg
    tattoo+pain+3.png

I have one on my wrist and spine..they weren't that painful Lol..