New to Strength - App/website for weight machine schedule?

Options
Ok, I'll be honest. I've become quite the cardio queen probably to a fault. It's worked to help me get 10 pounds from my goal, but now that I'm getting close I want to start toning up. I joined an LA Fitness and want to spend about 3 days a week working on strength on top of the cardio I'm already doing. I'm wondering if there's an app for iphone, or even a website with a good guide to what machines to use for what that will help me come up with a plan.

Going in with no plan won't do me any good, and if you're wondering why I want machines instead of free weights, at the times I can go the gym is very busy and the free weight section is loaded up with the giant bulky body builder types and as a 5'5" 145 little girl, that area is a little intimidating. I did well on weight machines before so I'm wanting to start there.

I know it would make sense to maybe have a few sessions with a trainer but I had an "introductory" session last night and he was a moron. His idea of showing me the ropes was making me do 3 different "squat" type exercises (3 reps 15 each) that targeted quads and when I could barely complete the last exercise, he used it against me to try to say I definitely needed a personal trainer. No beginner needs to do 15 - 20 minutes focusing on one muscle group... so I'm not gonna fork out money to people like that.

Any advice on a good way to get started would be most appreciated. Sorry for the wall of text. :)

Replies

• halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You could start out doing a workout like the stronglifts program except using the weight machines.
    So: workout A: Leg press, Bench Press, Seated Row
    Workout B: Leg press, Overhead press, back extension
    Alternate workout A and B every other day.

You could start with the 5x5 program, (five sets of 5 reps) with the last rep being very hard to do. Rest 1-3 minutes between sets. Add weight to each workout everytime you work out. (5 pounds)

Or you could try 3 sets of 8-12 reps.

Or you might try this one:

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/article-detail/Weight-Machine-Workout-Routines-Printable-Gym-Workout-Plans/c2/

But I would nix the leg abduction/adduction, and perhaps the Leg Extension.

Mike
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    weight machines are poop.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Jefit is a great app and website. Routines for the beginner through advanced. I highly recommend it!
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You can use the machines, but remember: you will get stronger, but you won't develop very good form. If you try to go to free weights later, step your weights down quite a bit and make sure your technique is good before you start lifting heavy again.