What does eating 'clean' mean?

Options
Can somone explain this to me? I'm also a little confused with some of the acronymns on here so if someone has time to explain a few common ones that would be great.

Replies

• Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    The idea is we should eat "clean" calories that come from unprocessed or unaltered sources, like fruits and nuts and unrefined grains, that kind of thing. Processed, ready to eat foods have been altered with SO much salt, McDonalds takes ground bits of the chicken carcass and what little meat is left, grinds it into a pink paste, sprays it with ammonia to kill bacteria, and then presses it into nugget shape.

That is the essence of the argument for eating clean, why are we eating "food" that must be cleaned with ammonia..?

BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate, this is the amount of calories you spend pumping blood, making new red blood cells, and just generally existing. These are the calories you would burn if you were in a coma.

TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure - This is your BMR PLUS any activity. Generally taken by a factor.

Calculate your BMR, and then multiply it by a factor to get your daily calories spent.
    Sedentary - BMR x 1.2
    Lightly active - BMR x 1.35
    Moderately active - BMR x 1.55
    Highly active - BMR x 1.75

Or you can count your daily calories burnt and add those to your BMR, to get your TDEE.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

What other terms are you looking for?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Eating Clean means different things to different people. For some, there is no flexibility...it's all natural whole foods all of the time..any deviation and you're not "eating clean".

For me, it's about eating natural whole foods most of the time, but it's completely unrealistic for me to not have some processed foods in my diet...not to mention, I like certain "processed" foods and have zero desire to give them up...for example, gummy worms...I love gummy worms.
  • roaringsea
    roaringsea Posts: 7
    Options
    I think it can mean a lot of different things, depending on who you talk to. For me, it means eating things in as natural of a state as I can acquire them. For example, instead of eating chips, I'd eat some raw unsalted nuts or cheese instead. Or instead of eating a piece of fried chicken, I eat it grilled. Hope this helps!
  • NaomiMc_Ra
    NaomiMc_Ra Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The idea is we should eat "clean" calories that come from unprocessed or unaltered sources, like fruits and nuts and unrefined grains, that kind of thing. Processed, ready to eat foods have been altered with SO much salt, McDonalds takes ground bits of the chicken carcass and what little meat is left, grinds it into a pink paste, sprays it with ammonia to kill bacteria, and then presses it into nugget shape.

That is the essence of the argument for eating clean, why are we eating "food" that must be cleaned with ammonia..?

BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate, this is the amount of calories you spend pumping blood, making new red blood cells, and just generally existing. These are the calories you would burn if you were in a coma.

TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure - This is your BMR PLUS any activity. Generally taken by a factor.

Calculate your BMR, and then multiply it by a factor to get your daily calories spent.
    Sedentary - BMR x 1.2
    Lightly active - BMR x 1.35
    Moderately active - BMR x 1.55
    Highly active - BMR x 1.75

Or you can count your daily calories burnt and add those to your BMR, to get your TDEE.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

What other terms are you looking for?

|These terms are great -think that's about all i need at the moment, really appreciate it.

Thanks to you all for the explanations. I'm not sure it's really for me because of my lifestyle so i think i will stick to the calroie counting and eatign fresh as much as possible.