Running Injury/Other Cardio Options

Options
mas1989
mas1989 Posts: 13 Member
I started running again 2 months ago - run for 30 minutes almost every day. My calves on the inside of my legs started hurting about a month ago. I have been icing them most days and taking advil every day to try and make it through the runs. Hate to stop running .... I feel like I have to get the cardio in every day if I am going to lose weight. Don't want to go to doctor b/c feel they will just say rest them for 2 weeks or something. I can do the runs still, but can barely walk afterwards or in the mornings. Any other good suggestions for getting my cardio in every day - elliptical? Running was just something I could do anywhere and get it over in 30 minutes. Any other runners had this kind of injury? If so, how long did it take to go away? It is right in the middle of my calves on the insides of my legs. Both legs hurt - one worse than the other.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Elliptical, bike, swimming. I wouldn't run through the pain if it's so bad you're medicating first. You also don't have to do cardio every day. How about every other day and start a good strength program. You can strengthen your muscles which will help your running anyway while giving your legs a break from the pounding.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the running world. There is a learning curve as well as a physical acclimation. Do not medicate before running. Not good for your gizzard or kidney's & may cause you to run when you should not have.

Sounds like you may have shin splints; a typical overuse injury as a result of the "Terrible Toos" - Too much, too soon, too fast. You gotta rest for a while.

Then run only 3 times a week until you get in better shape. Resting the body is part of getting in shape. Dont run hard or fast, you should be able to carry on a conversation without gasping.

I have run for many years and the best item I can recommend is a vibrator massager. This thing will loosen your legs up and stimulate the healing blood flow and ease the pain. Use it before and after your runs. I have better luck with it then icing.

Next be sure youre not heal striking. You should have a mid to forefoot plant. Do not take long strides.

I weigh 222 and am a heavy runner. I have always run in Asics Kayanos with cushioned insoles. In January I switched to New Balance Minimus; a minimal shoe and cant believe the difference. Other than initial foot aches, no pain or injuries.
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Good advice from the above.. I just want to add try using a foam roller on your legs. My left calf was hurting like crazy last week. I did some foam roller exercises and I feel SO much better. Keep with the icing, especially if you are noticing any swelling.

Good luck!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    if you are having to medicate it to do it then you need to stop ignoring your body's warning signs and rest up/fix that issue before it becomes an all-out injury that puts you out for a long time. A two week rest for an ache is a LOT better than a 6 month rest for a major injury.

Alternate cardio that works well: Biking, swimming and rowing, also known as cross-training, I recommend mixing in a couple of those things even if you are feeling great and don't have any issues running every day.

Finally, incorporate a rest day or two in there. Running every day causes small muscle tears, you get the real benefits of your exercise once you give that muscle time to repair itself, you'll be stronger and gain your endurance.

As for the pain itself, consider adding in compression sock use and get your shoes checked out, it may be time to replace them. Also consider seeing a physiotherapist. I see mine twice a month, she does wonders to keep me running (finished my 8th half marathon a couple weeks ago, have my third marathon in 12 days).
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Always warm up and cool down with amble stretching. Might suggest getting a roller to massage muscles, particularly in your legs.

Also give yourself a break with some lower impact exercising and strength training. Running through pain and medicating beforehand can lead to long-term problems.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    That sounds like shin splints and you should not continue running with the pain that you are describing. Yes there is a learning curve but to continue on shin splints can cause fractures. I suggest rest and only walking on them, find other forms of cardio until they are better. You will be down for more than a few weeks if you continue to damamge them.

Pay attention to your gait, land midfoot not heel striking
    Never medicate before the run as stated above
    Compression socks or calf sleeves are a must for me
    Icing and massaging works great, I swear by my foam roller and rollout my legs often
    Make sure you are stretching well, I have to stretch after my warm up then again after my run
    I can't run everyday, some can;t but I wouldn;'t recommend it to a new runner, especially with pain.
    Make sure you have good shoes, I can't use minimals, thney caused me shin splints but some people can, I would suggest a nice cusion to start until you ahve been running a while, then transition to minimals, IF you think it's for you.
    Look up running injuries, stretches and running form.

Good Luck, once you get bit by the bug it's an ugly addiction! :love:
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the running world. There is a learning curve as well as a physical acclimation. Do not medicate before running. Not good for your gizzard or kidney's & may cause you to run when you should not have.

Sounds like you may have shin splints; a typical overuse injury as a result of the "Terrible Toos" - Too much, too soon, too fast. You gotta rest for a while.

Then run only 3 times a week until you get in better shape. Resting the body is part of getting in shape. Dont run hard or fast, you should be able to carry on a conversation without gasping.

I have run for many years and the best item I can recommend is a vibrator massager. This thing will loosen your legs up and stimulate the healing blood flow and ease the pain. Use it before and after your runs. I have better luck with it then icing.

Next be sure youre not heal striking. You should have a mid to forefoot plant. Do not take long strides.

I weigh 222 and am a heavy runner. I have always run in Asics Kayanos with cushioned insoles. In January I switched to New Balance Minimus; a minimal shoe and cant believe the difference. Other than initial foot aches, no pain or injuries.

I love my minimals. I have Vibram FiveFingers and Vivo Barefoots. I started running at 268 lbs, and I'm down to 244. I've been doing C25K training and just ran my first 5K. No injuries at all, and 7 months ago, when I started all this, I was 347 lbs and my surgeon wanted to operate on my knees.
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    I started running 4 months ago and had increasing calf pains when my old running shoes worn out.
    My understanding for calf pains & shin splints are results of too much landing impact.
    I did the followings to reduce the landing impact and I am free of calf pains & shin splints for over 2 months now.
    - got a new pair of good running shoes (provide good cushion)
    - getting conscious on my running form to land mid foot (basically when landing, my foot is right under my body, not in front)
    - run on softer ground (i run on road instead of sidewalk)
    - reduce my stride length (that means slow down my pace)

Avoid pain/injury from happening rather than just treating symptoms work the best. It's working for me so far. Hope this help. :smile:
  • mas1989
    mas1989 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. I will take a few days break and do other cardo things mentioned and see how it is then before start back running. I've never heard of the foam rollers or massagers mentioned. Is there a certain kind anyone recommends? When I've been to a running store to be fitted, they always put me in an aisics shoe, but they feel so big and clunky that I don't really like them. What kind of insert is it people are talking about putting in there - a heel cushioner? Thanks again for all the tips/advice!